1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Groaning Noise

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AnnieS, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ketch22

ketch22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same issue with my V3. The groan is very similar to kcwl's video recording. The sound is a repetitive 'woo......woo.....' that varies with speed/wheel revolution (something rubbing around each revolution). To the best of my ability to tell, it sounds like the groan is coming from the rear-passenger side.

Like most others, the sound is usually present after the car has sat overnight or after prolonged parking and last for 100-300 feet of driving. I've even heard it after four hours of being parked at work. It will typically make this sound for a few days after a rain event. The sound has occurred in both forward and reverse and with the ebrake on or off prior to departure. I purchased the vehicle in April (50-60 degrees) and have heard it all the way to the present (80-90-100 degrees).

During a tire replacement I made note of the issue to the dealer, who attributed it to rotor oxidation. I responded that I've heard the grind/groan of rust being worn off the rotor when first apply the brakes, and this is not that sound. I went in with a recording on my phone and the technician agreed it wasn't rust. They repaired the tire and tried to reproduce the condition (but of course it didn't occur). They did tear down the brake and found nothing out of the ordinary.

Tomorrow I am taking the car in for it's 5,000 mile service and plan on leaving it with them overnight to see if they can reproduce it the next morning. Paparich, did you happen to record the TSB number when you reviewed the document? It would be great ammunition to take with me to get this issue resolved.

2. papaRich

papaRich New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bad news. On August 6 2012 I got an update from the Toyota shop foreman. He has been informed that Toyota is "not satisfied with the fix" so it is back to Engineering. There is still no indication of what they were going to do. So frustrating!! Ever since they banned asbestos for brakes there have been problems.

3. papaRich

papaRich New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did not get to see the document. I do not think it is a full blown TSB as the shop foreman had no description of the parts involved. Toyota regional said it involved the parking brake. As I posted above, I now have heard that Toyota is going back to Engineering because the fix was not satisfactory. Another 6 month delay.
    I have a rotor problem, not a parking brake problem. How do I know? There is a tight spot when rotating the wheel with the tire off (and stud nuts snugged). The rotor is either out of true or varying thickness. My noise now occurs when I apply the regular brake which TOTALLY eliminates the parking brake. The next convenient chance to go there I will fight to replace my rotor. In spite of a rotor problem I suspect that the pad silencer method on this car could be part of the problem. Toyota has put a lockdown on any work regarding the noise problem so I might have to get very pesky.

4. James Fenolio

James Fenolio New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I live in Pleasanton, CA. Have had my V since March. I've had the same problems, when cold, but that means in the 60's here. I have 10,000 miles on my V and the problem seems to be getting worse. When in colder weather last week, both the right front wheel moaned (as usual), but the left wheel chimed in as I encountered a bump in the road. I took my V in today for service. Told my tech about the problem again (I want it on my record). Had a specialty tech take a drive, but nothing happened. Dublin Toyota told me when I first reported it at approx 1500 miles, that it was a problem that corporate was working on. Has anyone had a call from Corporate ?????

5. James Fenolio

James Fenolio New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly

6. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, add me to the list of people who are having this problem. It started around 930 miles a few weeks ago ,after sitting overnight on a cold start (60s at the time and damp) on the back passenger side wheel. It sounded more like an owl with a woot woot type sound but has since also started a more groan like noise with it. In my case it only occurs while driving forward for a few hundred feet then stops, if I put the car in reverse it makes no sound, back to drive and it's wooting/groaning (I did this four times or so in a row).

Took the car into the dealership today(rainy), they checked it and noted the sound on a road test coming from the brakes, inspected and found surface rust causing brake pads to rub. They performed 'on the car lathe machining', then road tested again and noise was gone.

I picked the car up 30- one hour later and as I went to pull out slowly and the noise was back again. I went back inside and talked to the service rep who I just finished with and he came back out and drove the car and he could hear the noise again. He took the car around back for a few minutes and came back and told me to try it out - 'he fixed it!' he said. I asked him what he did, he drove it and it went away! (really! It goes away within a couple hundred feet on its own every time to begin with- I fixed it! Geeze. Then he tried to tell me surface rust can form on the brakes etc etc, Which is true enough, but why have I never had any other previous car with this problem if it's so common (how did they overcome this problem) So enough rusting occurred in the 30 minutes since they lathed machined it.. To cause this annoying problem. What kind of craptastic design flaw is this. I told him I'm sure I'll be back, at least to get it and keep it on record.

In theory I like the idea of using friction brakes in neutral at speed to clean the rust off as suggested above, but if enough rust forms in the 30 minutes while the car is sitting (as happened in my case - though usually overnight) then this Is pointless since when I start the car again rust will have formed.

I really like the v (and the 50 mpg ive been getting most recently on my drives) but this is pretty annoying (and loud).

So I to am eagerly awaiting news of a fix from Toyota.

7. RJJ

RJJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

8. RJJ

RJJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I purchased our Prius about three weeks ago, before we drove off the lot, the dealer told us that Toyota purposely incorporated a sound when you first start up, and the car is in electric mode, and under 10 mph, to warn people that the car is near them, like in a parking lot, or intersection.

9. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    RJJ, the sound you hear under 10 mph sounds like a spaceship type hum (very quiet even with windows open) to me and most definately is not the loud/annoying woot woot sound I'm hearing from my back passenger wheel in the mornings.

10. joeruo

joeruo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I dont think it's temp related.. it's been in the 80's and 90's here and get that same noise for about a hundred yards then it disapears. I'm guessing misture from sitting all night with very close brake tolerances. Toyota doesnt seem to have an answer, but who cares? Its why we have warenntees. If it becomes an issue that causes a serius problem, they get to fix it.

11. PetesPrius

PetesPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I live in Seattle and have had my Prius v for just over 4 months. I have 3000+ miles on the car and I too have that weird noise when I start driving in the morning. The sound goes away pretty quickly; within a block or two. I just hope it is not a problem.

12. Filmcarp

Filmcarp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well I have the same problem on a new Prius v 5 in 90 degree heat. The groan is loud enough that my neighbors notice it as well. I know all about rusting brakes - I have been fixing my own brakes for 25 years - that is not it. I will start shaking the tree here but my dealership does not impress me.

13. Eric Ricardo

Eric Ricardo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had experienced the same problem with groaning noise with my 2012 Toyota Prius V Five Wagon when parked outside for a few hours in moist conditions. I replaced the wheels and tires with Maxxim Allegro - 18X8 5-114.3 45 and Falken Azenis PT-722 - 225/40ZR18XL 92W BLT, the groaning noise is now gone.

14. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Have the same noise coming from our Prius V with less than 3K miles. Sound usually happen first thing in the morning and during cool/cold start. Sound is more aggressive when turning steering wheel and moving forward under 10mph. Noise disappear after about 10 sec.

15. Jerome362

Jerome362 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drive a 2011 Prius V and when I first started driving it there was a noise that sounded a little like the brakes were being applied or the transaxle. I'm not a mechanic but based on everything I examined I couldn't find a problem I checked the wheel hubs and they were not hot. The car was new and I planned to have it checked but the noise went away on it's own, I think less than two weeks. My noise was audible at low speeds, it never returned so there wasn't anything to complain about.

16. Shauna

Shauna New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My V's "groan" started about 4 weeks and 800 miles after I bought it (in April 2012). I took it in and they said a warped brake rotor was the cause. That took care of the problem for a couple of weeks and then it was back. I have now made 6 trips to my dealership (yes, they can here it when they drive it too!) and called more times than I can count to complain. The Service Manager knows my voice I call so often. The noise is now lasting longer (about 1/4 mile) and is really embarrassing. I love my V but hate paying good money for something that is not right. I live in Charlotte, NC so haven't experienced it in cold temperatures but, based on other postings, I am not expecting it to get any better when the temps change. I was told yesterday that no TSB is expected anytime soon but they have made it a "priority".

17. Robert Ciambrone

Robert Ciambrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the same noise. Took it to the dealer, and they seemed mystified. Of course could not reproduce sound at dealership!

18. Robert Ciambrone

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a strange moaning noise when I start driving my 2012 Prius 2012. It seems to be coming from the rear passenger side and subsides after a short while. When the car sits and I start it up again , the noise returns. So far no help from dealer. Will try again on Tuesday.

19. Robert Ciambrone

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have had the same groaning noise since day one when my V was brand new. I brought it back to the dealer and they said they couldn't hear anything. I hear it everytime I shut off the engine for about ten minutes or more and start it again.
    I only hear it in Drive, never Reverse. It is getting worse. I also hear it on a turn for the first few blocks and then it goes away until I shut down the engine again. The groaning noise becomes more rapid as I accelerate from about 7 mph to 12 mph and then it goes away after a few blocks. The fact that the noise becomes more rapid as I accelerate makes me think it is coming from the wheels or the brakes. I am scheduled to bring it in again tomorrow for the 5K check and will ask them once again to look at it.

20. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've never had this happen, but those of you who have: does it happen when you have a passenger riding with you or only when you're alone?