1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 low fuelly averages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bob Hahn, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thoughts on why the 2013 Prius is not recording a very high Mpg average. Is is falling below the prior 3 years and not since 2009 has the averages been below 47.

It could be normal since it was released in November and old man winter hurt the average. It could be that new tires, new engine, break in period hurt MPGs. It could be a combination of all.

Does anyone know if this is typical for all new model years?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say it's all season related. give it a full year. temps are starting to climb now and so are mpg's.(y)

3. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ya,I know thats what I was thinking. Sadly, it looks like I may be turning in one of my worst tanks. Several things may be the reason, I had my tires rotated for the first time, I'm using a/c more. Did less hypermiling. Now when I say less, I mean I wasn't quite as vigilant, I like to start out with that mentality, but during some trips I lose focus. You know talking to wife, listening to stereo, phone call, too much traffic. It happens, I try to get refocused ASAP. This tank may have been under par. Still expect to see 48, but > 50 is the goal. Not sure how to get around he a/c. Once it gets >75 or 80 I certainly turn on the a/c. Maybe I'm just not dedicated enough.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least in the northeast we have had much lower temps than 2012. Winter is a bad time for MPG.

5. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Winter here drops mpg's 5-7 mpg, temps here in the winter run in the mid 40's for the most
    part but rain, and we get lots of it believe me, also lowers mpg's as well. Now that temps have warmed
    to the mid 50's or so, and somewhat drier weather last tank was 51.3 mpg calculated.

6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This last Wednesday was the first time we had a temp at 50 degrees or higher since last year! So yes temps play a huge roll and also you said they rotated your tires, did you check to make sure they did not change your air pressure back to 32 psi and 30 psi? Every time I go, I tell the dealer 44 psi front 42psi rear and the first time I trust them and don't check the psi bang back to 32psi and 30psi. So I try to remember to check the psi when I get home, but you know us seniors? long way home, what was that I was going to remember? Oh well.:rolleyes:

7. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea! last year Mid 80's in April, this year High 30's to low 40's makes a huge difference to mpg's.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^We still have the double pink Cherry Blossoms in our trees here just outside DC. Probably come down tonite with rain.

9. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those are so wonderfull to enjoy, get your camera quick before they are gone. Opps! to late.

10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In addition, it could be that after Toyota has been marketing the prius pretty hard, there's a lot of drivers that are new to driving hybrids, and not really fuel efficient drivers? Idk, just a guess. I get 50+ on fuelly on my 2013.

11. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Because the 13' only had the cold weather !!! they started to sell them in November around my area I bought a 2012 on 14 November and '13s were nowhere yet on the lot .. I was told several thousand got destroyed by Sandy in New Jersey not sure this was a sales lie stop me waiting ... but I needed a car anyway for the same reason (Sandy washed away the 2010 ....

12. bullet875

bullet875 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    OUCH! Luckily I live a couple of miles inland, We got hit, but my car didn't wash away. Do Prii come in via Port Elizabeth?

13. Zormico

Zormico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I too think weather is the reason, my first tank was 43.5 calced I bought it with an inch of ice and 5 inchs of snow on it(bought on 4/8/13) working on second tank my computer is saying 64.3, couple nice days I was getting 70-77 MPG trips (5-10 mile trips in town)

Back down to a high of 39F today and the drive to work gave me 51 mpg :( .

Can't wait for this weather to start acting normal and give us people in the middle of the country some loving

14. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That doesn't sound that bad for 39F :confused:

15. Zormico

Zormico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Not BAD for the temp and driving thru slushy snow, but aiming at getting 60mpg+ calced for this tank and every trip under hurts it :cry:

16. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That what I meant ... the dealer told me they were in port waiting for delivery or whatever they do with them not sure which port he mentioned... but yes several thousand apparently were there and damaged/destroyed brand new (mine was little over 3 years and was not literally washed washed away but water was up to just about where the upper upper glove box is)

17. bullet875

bullet875 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Wow! Sorry to hear that! Could the car still be sold for parts? Did insurance cover flooding?
    I bought my car in Toms River, inland of Seaside Heights, and the dealer asked several times if I was sure that my Sonata hadn't been in flooding conditions. We were certainly lucky.

18. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had comprehensive coverage. Insurance did pay actually more than KBB value and more than my loan was. So I was OK with that different issue with house. Even with flood insurance I got less than it will cost to fix everything. Homeowner insurance paid 0 (zero).

19. bullet875

bullet875 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Sorry to hear about the house, but glad to hear about the Prius. I hear that your experience with the flood insurance is typical. I am not in a flood zone, but carry flood insurance just in case. I wonder if it's worth keeping at his point. We still have many homes on Long Beach Island just sitting empty with no walls. I don't know how they think they will be ready to go for the summer in 23 days.

I also have friends in Atlantic City who are still not back in their houses yet.

20. HprDad

HprDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four