1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius 3 Grinding Noise When Making U Turn

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by J. Ramirez, Aug 19, 2013.

1. J. Ramirez

J. Ramirez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone. First of all, I'd like to apologize if this topic has been discussed extensively. I've searched the forums but could not find any related discussions. So if anyone that can provide any clues to what might be causing this symptom, I thank you in advance.

To put it simply, when I make a u turn, a terrible grinding noise comes from what seems to be the front passenger wheel. I can replicate it pretty consistently, but if I make the u turn very slowly, no noise. But I assure you that when the noise happens, I'm moving at a relatively normal speed for the turn.

Any info from anyone is much appreciated. Thanks again!

2. J. Ramirez

J. Ramirez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. Guy23elp

Guy23elp New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm totally have the same problem with my 2013 Prius. Its exactly the same issue as yours. A light on the dash board will blink rapidly when the grinding sounds occurs at a uturn. Did you find out what it was?

4. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does it sound like you bottomed out the front end? I made a u turn a few weeks ago and heard an awful noise but just thought I took it too fast and put the front spoiler into the pavement (it was a slight slope). When I got to where I was going I went to check out the "damage" and saw nothing.

5. J. Ramirez

J. Ramirez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never did find out and was really hoping someone here can she's some light.

Nothing bottomed out, even put chalk on my tire to see if it was rubbing against the wheel well. It wasn't.

If I were to guess, it could be the traction control coming on if the sharp uturn is taken quickly enough. But I don't know for certain. Anyone else have any thoughts / insight?

6. Chunker

Chunker My name is Chunker...I wear a hat

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same issue but I have not come up with any solutions or insights...=/ It does make me feel better than I'm not the only one...=)

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When making the u - turn, is it always the same direction? As in turning left? If you turn sharply in the opposite direction, does the grinding sound switch sides?

And you mentioned a flashing indicator on the dash. Is it the traction control?

I'm thinking it IS the traction control because the traction control kicks in when the wheel speed sensors report a significant difference in wheel speed, such as happens when there is wheel slip, or in this case, in a really tight turn, the outer front wheel has to travel a much greater distance than the inside wheel. The grinding sound is the brake caliper trying to slow down the wheel that the system thinks has lost traction and is spinning faster (wheelspin).

SCH-I535

8. Chunker

Chunker My name is Chunker...I wear a hat

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure if I would get the same sound making a U turn going right as I have never had to do that in the States. I'll have look for the indicator light next time I make a U turn though.

9. dame3780

dame3780 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone figure this out yet? I am having the same issue. The tech at the dealer couldn't replicate. Usually happens when making a u-turn (left), backing out of driveway (turning right), coming down slopes w/brakes pressed.

10. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, if you have ever driven a car with ABS when it came on, that is the same type of noise if you try to u-turn fast. It thinks one tire is slipping.

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ABS computer is not smart enough to utilize steering angle and speed to calculate and allow for appropriate differences in wheel speeds? I'm shocked!

12. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't forget that VSC takes into account forward and sideways acceleration. So it's not necessarily the difference in wheel speeds. I feel that it is either one wheel losing traction on a sharp quick u-turn or the sideway g-force that causes the car to freak out

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would make sense only if the people with this complaint are making very fast U-turns. Otherwise, it seems the stability control and ABS systems should be able to deal with normal U-turns without complaining.

#13 CR94, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  14. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True. But what isn't "fast" to us may be "fast" to the Prius. Remember, Toyota made the Prius non-PiP capable of electric-only up to 25 mph because a lot of speed limits are 25 here. But in reality, most people go faster than that in a 25, and it's not "fast" to them.

Speaking of which, try going 5 mph straight in a parking lot, then turn the wheel all the way and try it again. Then do it all again with 10 mph. Or more. There's a lot more sideways g-force than one may realize and could be setting off the VSC even if the driver doesn't notice the forces involved.

15. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This IS the ABS or anti skid event your "inner" tire is basically skidding if you are doing a sharp turn in a relatively higher speed .... it is quite noticeable and could be "scary".

I had the privilege to engage the anti skidding feature for real (and while doing a U-turn) same feel and noise.