1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius C Two reasonable price in San Jose Area?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by clerksx, Jun 7, 2013.

1. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello

I am seriously thinking of buying 2013 Prius C Two. I just talked with only one dealer, and they suggested $22,516.72 OTD with 0% APR for 36 months. TrueCar price is $19,477 in this area, and their selling price is $20,394. I've read several threads here, and it seems like 2012 was under 20K, but for 2013, people paid around 22K. I think I should deal to take off $1,000 to be a really happy customer. What do you think? I'm a car buying virgin, so I am quite intimidated. :-( Please advice!

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Email all of your local dealers and see what prices they can come up with. Email your favorite dealer with your best price and see if he can match it. Car buying requires diligence...

minkus and clerksx like this.
  3. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the message. I've been trying hard to get their quotes before I move (I am in another state now). But Toyota dealers are soooo slow and they never call me back. I really need to buy a car ASAP. So I don't think I'll have a good luck in terms of price. :-(

4. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Go to truecar on the internet. I used the data they had when I bought a car back in 2010 and then contacted the dealership and told them that was what I would pay if they wanted to sell the car. I knocked off about $3k on the car from the sticker price.

When I bought my Prius C last year they were in limited stock and selling quick so I pretty much paid full pop, but really wanted to get rid of my other car and was willing to make that sacrifice. Both cars were purchased in San Jose at the Capital auto mall so hopefully this info helps.

Just be aware of all the extra add-on's that they'll try to get you to purchase before you go in. What you negotiate with the salesman may just be bumped up quite a bit when you start talking to the finance people.

clerksx likes this.
  5. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks a lot for your reply! It surely helps. I've got the quote Edmond and TrueCar easily. I've been talking with a salesperson at Toyota Sunnyvale, and her offer was in fact higher than TrueCar. I've got another quote from a nearby dealer, which is almost $1,000 lower. I'll try to contact your dealer as well. Based on my poor research so far, Prius C has better stock condition now that last year. Thanks for the tip again for the accessories. I checked the website, and I don't think I really want any of them!

6. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good luck, and hope you get a deal. I was referring to the options as far as warranties, extended services, "paint protection" (which is basically an expensive glorified wax job), extended battery warranty, alarm and Lojack. I do highly recommend having the bumper protector to prevent scuffs when loading things in and out of your hatchback.

If I remember right the cost breakdown is in the ballpark of the following...but again, if you go with any of these it's also negotiable and not flat rate price (and this is all thrown at you in the finance office so pressure is on...be prepared as this is where they start making their real money):

• Extended Service (basically oil changes) beyond the 2-years they give you already - $1,300
    • Paint Protection - $400
    • Extended battery warranty (100k) - $8,000
    • Alarm - $350
    • Lojack (this is not an alarm system, just tracking system if your car is stolen) - $900

clerksx likes this.
  7. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's really useful information. I'll keep this!

8. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Holy hell, I assume you mean $800.

9. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    LOL. That's the price thrown at me. The total for everything I mentioned would come to around $10k and then they started knocking prices down and fiddling with the monthly payments yada yada. So basically research what things would cost as far as maintenance and replacement so you can tell if you're getting a decent deal or if it makes since to decline. Costs get hidden and you could think you're getting a good deal, but basically you're just paying for it over the life of the loan (assuming the car is not paid in cash).

I've purchased three vehicles over the past 6 years and sorta figured out the right questions to ask and try to do as much research as I can so I can get the best deal without having too much buyers remorse.

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Truecar to help me get a good deal when I bought my V last month. If you can't get another dealer to match the Truecar price, then go to the Truecar dealer where that price is good. Don't let them add anything to car (paint sealant, wheel locks, etc) and just say NO to all the add on's the finance dept. tries to sell you (warranty's, maintenance contracts, etc). When you get the Truecar dealer pricing, it will spell out what the dealer handling fee is, so all you should pay for above that is TTL. Tell them you'll wait for the car to be ordered if you have to - but once you say that I'm sure they will let you have one off the lot for that price.

11. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just go to your local Toyota dealers with the TrueCar price that you are willing to pay (or maybe even less ;)). If you are in the Bay Area, there are loads of Toyota dealers to choose from. Just tell them you are ready to buy. Bring your check book, auto insurance card, license etc to show them you mean business (but DO NOT PHYSICALLY LET THEM HOLD ONTO ANYTHING; they might/will use it to keep you physically there to wear you down until you buy on their terms). If they say no, just say thank you and begin to get out of your chair. They will more than likely make you another offer to get you to stay. Make sure they know you have PLENTY of Toyota dealers to choose from.

Don't be intimidated, and just show confidence in your price offer. Also, calculate your OTD price (price of car + tax + license registration + any warranties you might want) and divide by your financing duration in months (for example, $22,000 OTD / 36 months = $611.11 per month). If your number is far off from what they tell you, something is fishy, and I can bet it's not the fish sauce from the market nearby.

FWIW, I paid $20,200 pre-tax and license for my C3 with moonglow and moonroof. Granted, I used a Toyota loyalty rebate ($500) and Recent Graduate rebate ($1000 in SF Bay Area). Mkae sure you are aware of all potential rebates before you head out to get your C :)

And I forgot the most important thing... welcome to the forums bud :p

12. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you so much for the tip, after talking with five dealers, I lowered $2000 from the first quote for Moonglow that I've got with several accessories I'm working on from that.

I was afraid of the last pressure at the financing department, but basically it seems like that I can continue saying just NO?

This sounds a stupid question... It was so hectic so I packed my check book, which will come in weeks :'( can I pay with a debit card? (ah.. I sound so dumb.)

All your replies relieve me. Thanks a lot!!

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What are you looking to pay? Most debit cards have a daily limit, so not sure how much you are looking to pay for. My dealer let me use my check card to pay for my down payment, but it was declined because of the daily limit. I had my checkbook on me as a backup. I put $2500 down.

14. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just purchased a car! I did downpayment $10,000 and went to bank and made a cashier check. The teller did it for free. :)

ztanos likes this.
  15. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats clerk! Looks like you'll have a nice low monthly payment also with such a large down payment. If you dont mind sharing, what'd you get and for how much pretax. I need to know if I need to be jealous :/

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

16. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I'd love to share but don't tell me if I've got a good deal or not. I don't want be hurt or jealous :)

I can't remember the exact number, but the OTD was around $21,1xx for Moonglow with 0% APR for 36 months. This price includes $500 dealer rebate. This was the lowest quote that I've got from 5-6 dealers around; some dealers actually gave up when I suggested this OTD. I think I could have gotten better deals, but I didn't want to any more stress and start working immediately. I also thought 0% APR was really good for me, since I know that I have almost no credit here. I've purchased extended warranty....but I thought it was okay... The salesperson was really nice and even the financing person was very gentle, never pushed anything! I actually can't believe how easy it went. I am really happy that my first car buying was this smooth!

17. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well congrats! As long as you're happy, it's all good. Welcome to the fam

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

18. clerksx

clerksx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hehe, this doesn't sound that I should be proud of my deal. But yeah I am happy that buying a car wasn't that scary. Thanks for welcoming!! I can't believe that I have Prius as my first car. And I've got this on Day 1 in California!!

19. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Awesome, congrats! Enjoy the new car smell while it lasts. (y)