1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius power mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by xerox6135, Mar 25, 2014.

1. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Is there a way to make the car default to power mode. Everytime I do a restart you have to press the power button .if I am in eco mode it stays even after a restart.It seem like you need power mode after ecm update I can say this I will never buy Toyota again. To me instead of fiximg the inverter problem they just turn the cars power down.

WE0H likes this.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One way to detect a troll, is to find someone whining about a 'fact' which cannot be true.

The Prius c has no power mode for him to select even once, let alone every time he gets in the car.
    [​IMG]

Greg75 likes this.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh...no big deal...

hard to believe a troll would post 60 times over 2 two years... usually they are in, stir the pot, and then leave..

WE0H likes this.
  5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Good catch.

6. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use the PWR mode on occasion. It has it's uses. But it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Prius.

If you need that 0-60 in 10 seconds response for a situation, it is nice to have. :)

7. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I really don't notice any increase in acceleration using power mode.

8. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We have observed a big change in how the on-board computers handle tire slippage, when pushing through piles of slush.

When turning from a side-road or driveway, out onto a main road; or when turning at an intersection; when you have to push through wind-rows of slush. Most vehicles will go straight through the slush, grip and turn when they touch pavement again. RWD vehicles are the worst, because 100% they will be fish-tailing through the process. In ECO mode a Prius does about the same [obviously without the fishtailing]. But in PWR mode you can maintain a tight turning radius, even while punching through 8" or 14" piles of slush.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, troll or not...Hmm....Prius c's don't even have a power mode...or a recall....
    We've had this debate before.

No- there is no way to make your Prius default to the Power Mode. So if you want to use it? You'll have to remember to.."shudder/lightening strike"..push a button. (Sarcasm)- Damn you Toyota for making me push a button!

And think about it...I think it fair to say that most of us (Prius Owners) did NOT buy a Prius with the expectation of having the most powerful, or fastest automobile on the road. Most of us bought the Prius for the efficiency aspect of Hybrid Synergy Drive. Which would explain EV mode, ECO mode...and "Regular".

Since the primary aspect of Power mode is simply remapping the sensitivity of the accelerator to the engine, and it then becomes the least efficient mode you can operate The Prius in...from a fuel efficiency standpoint. I don't think Toyota ever intended it be the primary or default mode for the Prius, it's designed for specific situational usage.

Since Power Mode can make the Prius respond quicker to less pedal depression then in any other operational mode, I'd think there is a good safety reason Power "isn't" allowed to be a default mode that reappears after shut down. Toyota WANTS you to know when you are in Power Mode, and the best way to do that is to make YOU choose it..every time you want to use it.

No lawsuits where somebody claims to have not realized they were still in Power Mode....and accidentally over accelerated upon starting out.

Perkolator and hybridbear like this.
  10. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I generally like giving the electric motor the first 10 or so mph of acceleration before I give it enough gas pedal to wake the ICE. I feel the first initial acceleration is where the most mpg penalty is. For that reason, I see little reason to make the gas pedal more responsive and power mode has little value to most Prius owners.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CORRECTION:

In light of this thread, I guess I have to say, "There's no EASY way to make Power Mode The Default" .

I still wouldn't do it.

12. James4455

James4455 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen several posts that say there is little or no difference in power for power mode. However, mine feels twice the power in power mode. I find it useful at times when turning into busy traffic and having to get to highway speed quickly to blend in with traffic. Also, sometimes to surprise folks with what a Prius can do. (grin)

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no more power in Power mode, if the pedal is to the metal.
    There is lots more feel of power as soon as you touch the pedal at all. Most of the power is weighted to the early part of the pedal travel.

14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where do I find this so called Power Button! ;)

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Guess I'm in a cantankerous mood today, but really: this is a deal breaker for you, lol?

FWIW, it will stay in "normal" mode, the mode where neither ECO or PWR are active. And: there's no real difference in power, in any of the modes. All it's doing is remapping pedal travel. Try normal, it's not too bad.

16. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The power mode makes the car far more responsive. I haven't actually timed it, but it has much more acceleration than when in eco mode. :)h

WE0H and ForestBeekeeper like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My understanding is that if you "floor it' in any mode the result is the same.

The intermediate travel does have different results, but full throttle is still full throttle. It's not unleashing untapped horsepower.

Normal seems fine, seems...: normal. ;)

hybridbear likes this.
  18. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Prius is a split-second faster off the line in power mode than in any of the other modes. I use it most often when making a left turn on a green light where I have to cross two lanes of oncoming traffic. In this situation, you want the power to come on as soon as possible so you can accelerate fast across the two lanes and not get hit. I see power mode as a safety feature.

WE0H and ForestBeekeeper like this.
  19. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's there somewhere. Keep looking.

20. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in