1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius v Three Rear Speakers

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by CJ Thunder, Apr 26, 2014.

1. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm here at Toyota for routine maintenance and while doing so, I was able to pull a sales rep and a general manager out to speak with them about the audio issue. My car was already being worked on by the tech so we went over to a 2014 Prius v Three. I replicated the issue and they were completely blown away on how bad the situation really is. The sales rep sat in back, I increased the volume to 50 before fading the system to the rear speakers. Now I have a baseline to work with in trying to get this issue fixed. Let's see where this goes. It might take some time but these are battles I love fighting. After paying 30k + for a car, I shouldn't have to replace speakers, amp the rear speakers or swap out the head unit to fix a problem I should not be having.

Robson likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck....amazing how clueless most of the salesmen are...

3. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's another thread on this elsewhere too. The audio system for the rear speakers is almost nonexistent. The sales guy at my dealer did the same for me, we went to another car. Same result, could hardly hear them. Apparently, all of the cars are the same, very little sound from the rear speakers.

So I don't know what the problem is, but it's an obvious design issue somewhere.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have to fade back to them and even then they are muffled by the placement behind the front seat back. Others have installed speaker level input amps with good results.

Robson likes this.
  5. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've faded them almost 100% rear, jumped in the backseat, and still barely heard them. It's not the placement, it's more than likely something bad in the head units. In all these years, this is the first vehicle with this problem that I've ever been in.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not complaining, but we don't have this muffled rear speaker volume issue with our 2012 Prius v Five. They aren't booming loud, but sitting in the front with the seats at full rearward extension on the tracks, and fading front to back to front it's clear there are rear speakers, and they produce volume comparable to the fronts.

7. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must be the different head units. I noticed that as well in the Five version. I'm not as picky as I used to be with sound systems, but it's a pretty lame setup for a car that retails for $27/28 k.

I'm wondering if they set up the cars mostly the same, but left out something for the V Three rear speakers. We took a long drive with four people last year, and the rear seat passengers were saying they were wondering what we heard, because they heard nothing. First time I knew about it.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not so picky any more either. My last custom audio job was a Becker in a 1983 Porsche...

9. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I stated that I faded them to the rear and it didn't make any difference. I know you can replace the speakers and amp the rear but my point is that I shouldn't have to do that with a car that costs as much as it does. I spoke with Toyota today and they gave me a case number. I'm under the impression the head unit is doing something special or they are defective. It was nice to know DCH Toyota of Simi Valley agreed that the problem with horrific.

10. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I tested the 2014 Prius v Three as well which indeed had the same problem. The v Five has an upgraded system but I wasn't able to take a look at that one. My wife and fam go on a lot of long trips and they are always complaining about the sound level in the back being almost inaudible.

11. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Must be nice. I wish mine worked the same.

12. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

At volume level 50, the rear speakers sound like they are around volume level 10 under water.

13. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Thanks! I received a case number from Toyota today. Let's see where this goes.

14. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so all three years of the Three have this same issue.

Personally, I'd rather do an inexpensive amp if that fixes things than a recall. Probably not enough sold, and/or not enough real complaints about this issue for Toyota to have noticed it.

15. CJ Thunder

CJ Thunder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'll see where this goes and if there are no signs of this being fixed, I'll probably have to do that. These are battles I like fighting however.

16. Txmacdad

Txmacdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We have the same problem with the rear speaker in our new 2014 Prius V and we made a Youtube video to show it. We tried to work with the Dealer and Toyota customer support, but they say its normal.

RichardY and Txmacdee like this.
  17. Txmacdee

Txmacdee New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

I do not care what is done, as long as they FIX this issue. It is not normal at all, and considering the Prius V is a family vehicle and seems to be the only model that has this issue, it is horrible. I personally sat in other Prius models, listening to the stereos and appears only the V is the one with this issue. If Toyota wanted to give the driver the sound experience and changed the design to reflect this experience, they should have done it in a 2 passenger vehicle, not a 4 passenger.

Seriously Toyota, other employees at the dealership can observe the same issue we are seeing. You claim it is a 6 speaker system, but WHY? the rear speakers are useless, and there is a video to show this.

We deserve to be provided with what it should have with equipment on the vehicle and all working as it should. I will continue to fight to get this resolved also. If we tamper with it, it can void our warranty, so Toyota..... It is your responsibility to correct this.

RichardY and Txmacdad like this.
  18. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing you post here will be seen by anyone at Toyota who can help. PriusChat is just a forum made up of owners like yourself.

19. Txmacdad

Txmacdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I think she hopes Toyota follows this site and will take note that this is an issue with the Prius v.

Txmacdee likes this.
  20. Txmacdee

Txmacdee New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Actually, the dealership I use and Toyota Headquarters in which I opened a complaint with a case number are now aware of this site per me. I have directed them here, and even read some of the post to them when I went higher up to get this resolved. At least if the headquarters of Toyota does not follow up in reference to the chat here, the dealership has listed it in there case which they have to respond back with. :) So, it is a good push in the right direction.