1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Volt: 98MPGe, 38miles EV range

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by drinnovation, Jun 7, 2012.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not a fan of the Volt, but I am very happy to hear this.

I worried that once produced, GM will not pay attention to the flaws (everything has flaws, this it not a complaint) and make running changes to improve them. When I was growing up, British cars were designed but never improved, we don't get many British cars here any more.

I have expressed my worry that the Volt was a statement car, not a production car, I am glad to be wrong!

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure what's the speed limits are for city in Europe. Here in the states, there are many major city streets with 50-60mph speed limit. The 62MPH EV limit covers all the city roads in the US.
    Why not give us TOTAL control. Let us set the speed limit on when the ICE kick on to assist with the propulsion and at what throttle position. Let us map the percentage of assist at different speeds. Let us choose how and when to run the ICE. Give us a default button if we screwed it up. If the setting is less fuel efficient, give us a short 2 second warning.
    With this much control, you can turn the Volt into a leaf or an old Volt, or a regular Prius or a PiP. Just saying.

andi1111 likes this.
  3. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Article says production beings early next month, delivery begin in August. (Which seems like a long delay)

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EV offers battery only operation.

HOLD offers engine only operation.

Why still no option for something in between?

I really enjoy the EV-BOOST mode that PHV offers. Cruising along the highway at 150 MPG is something I've really grown fond of. It's the best of both worlds.

5. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There you go again misrepresenting the past. I neither remember nor could I find your alleged spin post by volt owners here. Even on GM-volt just about every owner I know wants HOLD mode. The original reason given for no-hold mode was EPA/CARB said no.. to it.

See 2011 Chevy Volt “Hold Charge” Mode for European ZEV Zones, But Not U.S.

Its bad because owners could burn gas when they don't really need it. gm-volt owners went as far as to start a petition to the EPA to all us to have HOLD mode. If used properly it will reduce fuel usage, saving the ICE for highyway, which is more likely where most volt owners will use it.

Note that HOLD mode is not a blended PHEV. Its not copying the PHEV or the prius EV button, its the opposite, save the battery for when we want/need it.

Cruzing along at 150MPG would be a bad day for a volt owner. Any day using is gas cannot be the best of both worlds.
    Blending, is not more efficient, any us of gas reduces MPGe. As long as we have access to clean electricity, blending is about saving cost in parts, not efficiency or green driving.

utter nonsense.. its still an EREV.. Hold mode changes the size of the battery reserve (i.e.takes the battery away) and the car is in CS_mode. Still consistent with the definitions.. we already had this debate.

And the Pieper voiturette was a blended hybrid back in 1900.. so not really toyota pioneering there.

scottf200 likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just because all you check is a single blog site doesn't mean it didn't happen. Go over to the GMI forum. Geez! And the fact that they want it now has nothing to do with what they said in the past.

There you go again, making decisions for people rather than presenting data for them to draw their own conclusions. Blending when driving beyond the capacity available makes sense, use the system as a hybrid.

Goodbye.

7. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I use the new modern tool called google.. its pretty cool you might try it. I check a lot more than the two blogs I mentioned.. but your post provided such a poor references I did the best I could.

The only GMI posts that even hint of Hold mode and PHV connectins are this one
    Volt - New for 2013
    that says
    They seem to be referring to "john" as an aside.. is that the "spin" you mean?
    The next day you made notes in your log and your ramblings are the only articles I found on the web relating the volt hold was making it like PHV.. (searching back a year).

Other people understand that Hold is different.. even the 2010 green car congres artile said

Sorry I forgot to provide data.. here you go

[​IMG]

In this this daily driving graph from voltstat.net, a green bar is a day with NO gas, and the blue ones are total distance on days using gas. Note the blue days will have some EV, with the amount depending on the drivers and charging. Here is a plot showing just how much CS was actually used
    [​IMG]

The vast majority of the graph is green, supporting my statement that 150mpg.. in fact any finte MPG, is a bad day for volt owners. yeah there are some people that use gas a lot, and some for whom a PHV would be more efficient, but probably very few.

scottf200 likes this.
  8. scottf200

scottf200 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right on queue. Because tomorrow I'm driving 130 miles. I have the best of several worlds (above average MPGs, BEV for most driving, sporty and fun drive, great looks beyond what many see as econo box high mileage cars, etc, etc).

9. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is incorrect.

Hold mode will switch from charge depleting to charge sustaining, the system is still hybrid, if you are driving along in CS and happen to get a lot of regen you will build up charge that the car will utilize instead of gas until the charge is reduced again to the sustaining level, just like every other non-plug hybrid.

10. scottf200

scottf200 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And like them, any extra electricity generated will have ultimately been produced by gas burned in the ICE. Until there's a switch in the Prius,or any hybrid, to prevent the use of the battery, it isn't a sin to use gas only instead of hybrid operation.

12. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was responding to his comment about something in between gas and electric, which is what hybrid is. (and your assumption is not necessarily correct, suppose I use grid charge to travel 5 miles up an incline on slow local roads then activate hold mode and drive down hill on a freeway, any regen I get based on the downhill freeway run is really a result of the electricity I used increasing the car's potential energy driving up the hill on battery, not from the gas).

There is such a switch in the EU Pip, btw, for places where it is illegal to burn gas, if not sinful.

brewstermac likes this.
  13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What does that have to do with an EV-BOOST type mode?

In other words, instead of drawing from the battery-pack at the standard rate, you have to ability to draw at something higher but not as high as with the engine off... hence in between.

With PHV, that mode allows you to jump from the usual 50 MPG on the highway to 150 MPG.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Forgot about the EV-CITY button, eh?

15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the Ampera, love it infact. I just wish they'd made it a 5 seater, had more rear headroom and with larger luggage storage. Then it would have been all the car you'd ever need.

Oh and did I say it should be a wee bit cheaper too :)

16. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Okay, that's twice, so I gotta call you on it. I believe 150MPG is a totally bogus feel-good number as it must be very short lived number. Either be an in instantaneous measurement (which one can get in any car), or only applicable for short periods of time.

How far can you maintain 150MPG in your EV-BOOST type mode?

Its probably easy to do if you use HV and only go 10-12 miles, but then again you can get that far in pur EV, so having used any gas was really a waste -- 150MPG is not as good as no gas. If you cannot maintain that for a reasonable range, , then its a bogus number that may make you feel good, but has no real value.

I've read your thread on HV/EV button and can see how, if you are going to use the ICE anyhow, it can help to warm up the engine a little earlier. (Its the natural strategy of the prius to start early to warm up, so not a surprise). But the savings in actual gas used are very small, you were just inflating the impact by using MPG (a highly non-linear measure on short trips with small amounts of gas). And much of that could be the user variations, a type of EV placebo effect, where the driving changes during the experiment. (I know about those.. I think I had some of it myself in early Mountain Mode experiments).

I have yet to find a scientific study that shows that blended mode is actually more efficient. Can you provide a reference to a controled study?

I think you and usbseawolf2000 are confusing two important but different issues. The ICE in the Prius, is most efficient at higher loads/speeds. Hence the standard prius model of use EV for low speed and ICE for higher speeds/loads. But for the Prius all electricity was from the engine, and in the so in the overall equation of which is more efficiency at different speeds, they have to include the charging loss to store power in the battery as well as the limited amount of battery and when to use it. In the PHEV design, with a larger battery, you don't have the gas-> electricity loss and also have a much larger battery buffer and so its a different decision.

As I've said earlier, and as some national reports have stated,
    In that report Argonne was not suggesting blended was more efficient, just a cost savings mechanism. Nothing wrong with cost savings, the Prius C is a great car for the price.

But let's not pretend that a momentary 150mpg is meaningful or just presume that blended is more efficient than EV because it was the strategy used in early HVs.

17. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm confused.. I thout EV-CITY was just to force the car to stay in EV better, even under acceleration. It does not provide more battery range. Trollbait's comment is about in EU the PiP's 52MPH limit in EV range, before the ICE comes in, is about forcing the car to save more battery as it will use use the ICE more , thus saving more battery.

But I disagree with Troll bait that 51mph wold produce greater EV range, since either the test would not exceed the 51mph test (so it would be all EV range, even if ICE was set to start at 62), or it would start the engine earlier. It would not increase "EV" range to make the ICE come on earlier.

I can see it about saving more EV for "city" mode, where maybe to qualify it has to be able do go some minum X km in EV mode.. does anyone in EU know if there is such a rule? If so how is it defined/tested?

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And I was just alluding to the fact that saying gasoline only with these cars implies hybrid mode. (it's a fair assumption. Exceptions are always possible. Any increase in SOC during hold or mountain mode will be viewed as coming from an electric source once the return to EV regardless of what fuel generated them.)

This is the first time I've heard of EV-boost. Sounds like it can improve hybrid fuel efficiency. How is it different than an eco mode? What are the trade offs, or why isn't it the norm?
    Yeah, but it only has an indirect relation with the choice of speed cut off. The 62mph cut off doesn't prevent it from being on the US version. The 51mph does preserve more charge for its use. The EU version will likely still see a higher blended EV range even without it, though. I imagine people making a trip to a gas-free zone will likely be engaging HV mode more often in order to be sure of having charge in the zone regardless of the speed cut off. (How does the law work when an exempt plug in hybrid turns on the ICE in one of these zones?)

As to a EV-boost mode for the Volt, it doesn't make sense to have it. The car is already focus to prioritizing electric use. Even its hybrid mode is mostly serial. Allowing a higher draw from the battery for it will likely result in performance enhancement, not economy, and it already has a sport mode. An equivalent mode for the Volt would likely actually be an ICE-boost with more parallel hybrid operation. And the raises the same question I have for the EV-boost, what are the trade offs that prevent it from being the norm?

drinnovation likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let me clarify here. I believe the 51mph limit was the initial one chosen by the Toyota engineers. The 1.8L has improved efficiency over the 1.5L in the Prius at higher speeds. Why not make use of that as soon as possible? The goal is to use the fuel that is the most efficient at the time, right? (what does a gen3 average in mpg at those twon speeds?)

For the Japan and EU testing, the two speed cut offs would have no bearing of the resulting EV range, correct. They would give different results on the US test though. If the 61 was chosen first, why drop to 52 for the other regions then? Perhaps to meet some requirement for the EV-city and gas free zone access. Without more details there, I think it more likely the limit was raised to game the EPA window sticker.

Background out of the way, I think a greater percentage of real world miles for given trip will be on electric from the wall for the EU spec than the US spec. This is a ymmv instant, but it should be true for drivers that just want to drive the car.

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A lower cut off will provide better acceleration at that speed. It lowers the time delay, at say 55 mph to acceleration for passing, as the ice doesn't need to fire up. The volt with higher battery pack power doesn't require this. Its part of the cost tradeoff of choosing a lower powered battery pack.

The two different cut offs are likely the result of tailoring the software for the tests and expectations in the different markets. Perhaps the ev-city button allows the car to hit 100km/h in ev in europe. The higher cut off of 62 allows for more efficient ev operation in CD mode, and higher numbers on the test and likely in the real world for short trip.