1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Volt: 98MPGe, 38miles EV range

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by drinnovation, Jun 7, 2012.

1. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried the production PiP yet, as it's not available yet. I've tried only the DEMO PiP, which is the same as the US DEMO PiP.

But from what I gathered from the UK Toyota site, all EV City mode will do is to transit from EV mode to HV battery driving without the warm-up cycle, so that the green zone city driving would really be without any gas.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure it does. There is a double standard.

If you use the gas engine when the driver push a button or the battery range runs out, it is still an EREV?

If you drive Prius PHV in the city all electric then use gas on the highway, it is not an EREV?

This is the kind of non-sense we get to when someone tries to define a vehicle type based on the operation mode. EREV is a baloney and this Hold mode spoiled it.

Gas engine triggered by driving conditions enables the optimal design. The design that uses half the hybrid powertrain leads to an expensive heavy vehicle with small interior.

dbcassidy likes this.
  3. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry, but I don't believe that WTW simulation study address alternative control stragies on the same platforms. If you can point to a section that would be good. It compares a parallel and series hybrid models, with different sizes. It presumes the series hybrid has a larger motor than than parallel and a number of other assumptions that make it largely irrelevent.

The URL is valid, just needs an access license. I cannot redistribute the IEEE paper (copyright issues), but just wrote to the authors to see if I can a copy from them that I can link to.

4. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Its really frustrating when people refer to unnamed groups ("they") with no references as if it is the people involved in the conversations. Could there be some over-the top prius bashing volt owners that hate the idea of Hold mode.. sure. I just don't think they are the people on Prius chat (or people that I know).

Efficiency is NOT a balance of resources, it is a minimization of waste of a particular set of resources. Cost efficiency is not the same as energy efficiency, which is not the same as time efficiency.

But I will agree, there is not one optimal solution.. the best solution depends on the owners constraints.

gwmort likes this.
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It changes the fundamental operation of the Volt. Starting the gas engine before the battery runs out is a very bad thing for Volt enthusiasts. It was one of the differentiating feature for Volt.

Prius PHV has the exhaust heat recovery and timing advanced tuned to minimize the warmup time, down to about 40 seconds. Volt is lacking all those technology and I don't see 2013 model adding engineering effort to deal with it.

How will 2013 Volt deal with more frequent cold start emissions?

dbcassidy likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Huh? What do you believe changed? Remember, I drove the early model too... and I own a PHV now.

If battery-capacity wasn't finite, you didn't need heat, and electricity was both totally clean & renewable, things would be different. That's clearly not the case.

The EV-BOOST is great for high-speed travel now. When winter arrives, it will offer the added bonus of heat from the engine while still taking advantage of the plug-supplied electricity, regardless of speed.

7. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

We've already had the terminology argument.

A formal definition is (I hope) coming in the next release of the SAE J1715 standard for HEV Terminology. I posted an initial definition from Tate, Harpster and Savagian from the General Motors Corporation. See http://www.media.gm.com/content/dam/...docs/paper.pdf

In their paper they say there is no SAE definition and propose an EREV be defined as
    That definition does not say that a button cannot make the RESS energy not available. And even that makes the Volt with Hold mode a variation of EREV, its not all the same as a Prius PHV, for which the full performance range is NOT available from battery.

The word optimal requires a formal definition and proof. Can you provide a citation or data to support our use of it?

The Prius is heavier and more expensive than a yaris too, so what? This thread is about efficency, if you want to start a thread on volume/price go ahead.

The interior volume could easily be changed and is just a market/design choice.

Yes more batteries will be heavier. But still even with the increased mass, for most drivers its way more efficient than a prius.

8. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The EU PiP will start blending mode at 51+mph, whereas the US PiP and the DEMO PiP did that at 62+mph. Big difference for my drive to work.

See here: Toyota Prius Plug-In | Toyota UK

and scroll down to The Detail section.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good. Volt owners are now realizing the importance of optimizing both fuels. Why wasn't it considered in the design? It is now the concept of EREV conceived on napkin, falls apart.

Prius PHV owners are averaging over 50 MPG in HV mode even with those "often on/off" operations. Do support your "belief" with a that recent paper you mentioned.

How will 2013 Volt deal with it?

10. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

offering hold does not chage the fundamental operation at all. The car is either in CD or CS mode.

Its unclear why you suggest Hold will lead to more frequent cold starts -- that's not how I imagine anyone using it.
    Most of the time, just as now, the car willl be full EV. When the user has a long drive, to a city, they will hit HOLD mode while on the highway (where they will be getting 40MPG), and not turn it off until they get to the city. That is 1 cold start.. but if its far enough they would have needed CS mode anyhow, it still would be one cold start. If they volt is going slow enough in CS mode that the engine cycles, it uses its temp sensor as part of that cycle and only the first one is cold.

PHV needs the fast-start because it starts very frequently and for "power".

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The demo PHV is a few hundred pounds heavier than the production model. The EV-City mode may just take care of engine starting issue but the speed cap maybe lower, as you've mentioned.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The energy in RESS (battery) is still available. The driver hitting the Hold button doesn't make it go away. Otherwise, it'll be called Ground.

The fact that the battery can be used later violates that proposed definition of EREV.

Sorry, I don't do anal. ;) Look, you are getting anal here. Just look up the results.

13. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly! But the lower speed cap for EV mode is the deal breaker in my case. PiP was no.1 car to get, now it's 2013 Volt (due to better battery than Ampera, which still uses 2012 Volt's battery and better front fascia pavement protection that Ampera's), Ampera is no.2.

14. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The design has had "hold mode" for a long time.. as I'm not part of the team so I don't know when it was included in the design but it was discussed publicly in 2010
    Top Five Insights from Our First Drive of Chevy Volt | Hybrid Cars

The reason we did not get it the US was EPA/CARB related issues. The early testing protocols said the car must be tested in its worst mode, so if we had hold mode, it would have had to be tested in that mode, so no AER. That would have been silly. Its also one of the reasons we we don't have stop/start tech.. becuase it does not play well with EPA testing..

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, if that's your priority and the packaging (interior volume) of Volt works for you. To me, using both fuel equally is better than one half lugging the other half.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there is a double standard, unless its in your mind. EREV means it has full power in electric mode, its a type of phev as is one that is blended but it requires its engine on at full power.

Now a PHEV like the fisker karma is a grey area,it has a sports mode that is blended. The EV mode can get to 60 in about 7 seconds, but blended is much faster. Does that sports button and higher performance make it a blended mode phev. That is still up for discussion. I think it does but only when you push the button;)

If you stay within battery capacity you can use no gas in a EREV. If you are exceeding battery capacity, as someone is likely to do if they are using hold then it really doesn't matter EREV or blended.

It is based on capabilities not operating mode. Its a design choice. Once is not naturally superior to the other.

To many optimal design of a phev is to use no gasoline. They would say your definition is a failure. A blended mode phev design is often chosen to reduce cost. If money is no object we get a phev like a porsche 918 that should be more efficient in ev and hybrid mode than a prius, but much more expensive.

Again there is nothing about ever that means heavy or small interior. If you look at the transit connect design, you can see batteries can be layed without taking up space. The tesla S also uses such a design. The Tesla roadster compensates with body material to reduce mass. Many people to do not need the space of a prius, or want more. The volt was a choice for a 2+2 attempting to be sporty. It was not designed to be lightweight like a tesla S or have a large interior like a transit connect bev.

drinnovation likes this.
  17. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry you feel so frustrated. The battery always has energy in it, but the car has a minimum SOC. Changing the minimum SOC changes what is avaible. Its like saying mountain mode violates EREV, which we've already discussed.

But this is all pointless semantics as you are being pedantic at best. We've already had this discussion in another thread, and I guess you still have not learned the terms. If you don't want to call it an EREV, that's your choice.

Whatever you call it, a car that have full range of performance in EV is still very different than one that cannot go more than 62 or 51 on battery. As we've seen more company announce their PHEV/EV entries and/or back out of the market (like AUDI), it becomes and more clear how well engineered the VOLT really is. 3 years later and noone is close.

I don't know what results you suggest I look up. I've already said I don't know any report that shows blended strategy is optimal. If you are saying it is, I wanted to know what source. The last one you provided was not showing it. I'm know I could make up a definition of optimal for which its true, e.g. optimal strategy for a PHV on US06, would HAVE to be blended since the car is too limited to do it in AER. But I wanted to know what definition you were using. Once its formalized then people can consider if its a meaningful definition or not.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's spin because it is vague and misleading. You could choose to say it weighs about the same as a Rav4 or Equinox. Instead you just use SUV and let readers assume you mean an Explorer or Sequoia. That's spin.

But this point is moot. With the arrival of the Mazda CX-5, the Prius PHV is less than 40 pounds lighter than a SUV.:p

Who here is doing that?
    The first year Volt didn't make it easy for the user to know how much kWh, but that changed in later years. The consumers must have wanted an easier way to learn their consumption. Besides, how does that make it counter to spin?

With the majority of plug in owners recharging at home, the only ones that actually give recharge time a thought are the BEV drivers. That is mostly to decide on installing a level 2 charger or not. The Volt's battery is big, but not that big. It's actually about the right size to get fully charged while the owner is working.

When charging away from home, EV owners aren't tethered to the charger as with a gas pump. They can go off get other things done. If those things take a shorter time, a PHV owner isn't going to sweat it because they still have the ICE.

The Volt and Prius PHV both gain about the same amount of EV range per period of time charging. To go the same distance as a Volt on EV while require the P-PHV to spend as much time charging as the Volt did. Leaving out the details of this, and because it has a smaller battery, is the spin with the fast recharge comments.

None of the Volt owners here seem anxious. I think they are just disappointed when they have to use gas.

gwmort and drinnovation like this.
  19. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a Jeep Wrangler for a few years back in my 20's, I never took it off road. I use the ICE in my Volt a little bit every week. Its not quite the same thing.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rear seats for me are a 'just in case' feature.

drinnovation likes this.