1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Chevy Malibu eAssist Hybrid Canceled; Regular Version Equals It In MPG

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=32208&id=34311

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The eAssist and the new engine should have gotten better than the current eco model, but I guess not enough to warrant the cost of the system.

3. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This just goes to show that GM doesn't know how to make a good hybrid. The Chevy Malibu Hybrid should have gotten 50 MPG just like the new Honda Accord Hybrid.

blisterpeanuts and telmo744 like this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It doesn't help that it's just a 2nd gen BAS mild-hyrbid.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sergiospl likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be relatively straightforward to drive down the cost of a sonata style hybrid - pancake electric motor, lithium battery, extra clutch to sit between motor and ice, traditional transmission regeared for power train, atkinsonized ice from normal production.

The mild hybrid can be cheaper than this, but really can not greatly improve either city or highway mileage.

Other changes with hybrid are electric power steering, electric air conditioning (or hybrid), and low rolling resistance tires. These all could be available on the non-hybrid.

The new accord hybrid is a variation on this theme, but likely more expensive and more work than the sonata. Honda is part of a fairly closed market in japan, where buyers are less price sensitive for hybrids, so extra costs may make more sense than for gm.

Variations on the theme, jci has a new hybrid battery, which has both lead/acid and lithium in one part, that can reduce costs for a hybrid that does not need as high of electricity requirements. Mazda is using a ultracapacitor instead of a lithium battery to capture regen braking.

GM likely has all the pieces in the lab. They may go straight to a plug-in strategy and roll that out in more vehicles. In the mid size sedan hybrid market though, with competition from the camry, fusion, sonata, optima, and now accord GM is doa.

8. blisterpeanuts

blisterpeanuts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

How is that working out? I've heard great things about these huge capacitors, at least in laboratory settings.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It has only come out with the new Mazda6, and only with a high tech package, as of yet. So I'd say it is too soon to tell. The package also includes active grill shutters. Between that and the i-Eloop(the name of their regen braking system), it gets 2mpg more on the EPA sticker than the regular 6.

10. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see any Accord hybrid mpg on fuelly. one listed and mpg the same as regular hybrid. I will take a wait and see approach for any honda hybrid. after the bad underperformance of the civic hybrid!

I see no reason that chevy, honda, or any other car mfg. can't build a quality hybrid. Camry works great:D I don't like to buy a car when it first comes out, because there are often problems with things.(y)

11. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If I was looking at two cars of the same model, having the same mpg city and hwy that was non hybrid. I would probably buy the non hybrid. and if they truly do get the same mpg. that is an utter failure. :(

I am very happy so far with our hybrid cars, one Camry and one prius c. the camry gets epa mpg +:) , and the prius c gets epa mpg+++++++. My fuely average is 60.5 but I just got the car and my current tank is over 70 mpg with 220 miles. thats 40 percent over the epa mpg est.:) :) :)

Toyota hybrids are very good. I haven't driven others but I see no reason I should. they are priced well and work great!

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    eAssist wasn't an utter failure. It managed to match a new model's mpg while shackled to an older, less efficient engine. It's potential was in its simplicity. I won't argue with those saying it wasn't a real hybrid. with a lower cost, it could have been placed into more models faster. It wouldn't get Prius numbers, but if placed in more models, could have had a bigger impact on our fleet economy.

It appears that it just wasn't cheap enough. Advances in ICE efficiency, and auto stop systems seem to have made it obsolete.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at the regular all new Malibu and was not so impressed. The driver's headrest juts badly into my head and crazy thing is the headrest is not removable. I think all Japanese cars, you just release the latch and headrest comes off. If problem could turn it around or reupholster it or whatever ....

in Malibu, can't even remove the headrest to do anything with it. Wow, what genius thought that up?

Saw Malibu in showroom and it has an electric only trunk release, but battery not connected. Couldn't open the trunk. What the heck do you gain with an electric trunk release??? I think most Japanese have a lever trunk release even if there is a Smart key release or electric release for trunk. Think so.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure about most. My mom's Altima Hybrid has an electric trunk release (IIRC on the driver's side dash) and looking in the manual, there is a secondary emergency release accessible thru a not very discoverable method (thru a locked panel that you access by lowering the rear armrest).

The exterior trunk release was electrical only, IIRC.

15. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's for safety. Turning them around only helps you hurt your neck/back in a crash. So if GM made it harder for people to undo safety in their cars I don't think that is a bad thing.

Also Prius only has a electric trunk/hatch release so I can't open my hatch without a battery also.

Better luck with your GM bashing next time.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is actually a planned, if contortionistic method of opening the Prius hatch without electricity.

(3:50 to 6:05 in this droning tutorial)

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, there's a manual release inside. Look behind the little plastic cover for a latch. Push it, the hatch pops open.

Of course, it's a hatchback rather than a sedan. So, that isn't even required to access everything in back anyway.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For those who didn't read the article, the new Malibu has a more basic PbA start/stop system.

19. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EXACTLY!!!

DBCassidy

20. blisterpeanuts

blisterpeanuts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Disagree.

Huh???? My 2013 Prius V has a manual hatch release. Or do you mean no way to unlock the hatch except electrically?