1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Electronic quirks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stannc, Jul 14, 2014.

1. stannc

stannc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if I'm being too picky. I recently upgraded from a 2011 Three to a 2014 Four. I've had the car almost two months, but things are suddenly "acting up".

Last week, I started the car and the outside temperature display came on normally, while the thermostat display read "00" and was flashing, and the fan display was flashing. I turned off and re-started the car for everything to 'reboot'.

Last night, I started the car and the NAV screen started up with some video "noise" that looked like what we used to call the "horizontal hold" needed to be adjusted. That lasted for a few seconds and returned to normal.

Tonight, I got in the car and started it and I hit the audio power button. The audio started playing from my USB-connected iPod, which was the last source played prior to stopping the car. The only problem was that the screen said "Audio Off". I hit the power button again to regain control of the system.

Am I being too picky? I never saw any of these issues in three years of driving my 2011 with NAV. Is there a 'known issue' with any of these things or did not get connected fully at assembly time? These aren't re-producible problems, so I can't go to the dealer without them thinking that I'm a lunatic :)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Sounds like the classic case of Murphy's law. My oem stereo acted strange just once in my 10 month ownership of the car. The menu system suddenly went bizarre but returned to normal after I powered off and on the car again. It seems like you might have a little more than normal problems.

The only thing I can think of is possibly rats getting into your car and messing around with the wires?

Good luck.

3. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Any chance it had a long day in the hot sun?

Grren4ever likes this.
  4. stannc

stannc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In North Carolina every day is a long day in the hot sun :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, you're not being too picky. i have never experienced any type of electrical anomalies. take it in for diagnosis and repair.

6. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've had this happen before a few times. If you take yours in to the dealership, I'd like to know what they say about it. I'll mention it when I go in for my 10k maintenance but I can almost guarantee that since they can't replicate the problem, they'll say that it's either normal or there's nothing they can do about it.

7. stannc

stannc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to wait until either it's reproducable or I hit the 5,000 mile first service visit.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a new 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring and it is loaded with electronic junk. More than I will ever use and I have experienced none of those problems with it.