1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 prius 3 radio problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mountaindays, Sep 24, 2014.

1. mountaindays

mountaindays New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could someone that owns a 2014 prius 3 that has the base radio/mfd please tell me if there is a number (and what is it) on the right side of their faceplate, just under the touchscreen. Not the upgrade version/JBL. Our radio went out after 3 months, and the dealership replaced it with a 2012!!! used radio, and I think it is a completely different radio. I am having a very difficult time finding the exact model number that it should have been, and what it was replaced with. Thanks for your help!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why did you take the used radio?

3. mountaindays

mountaindays New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the dealership told us they were going to replace with new. It was ordered and installed a week later. However when our Sirius radio stopped working we called Sirius and were told that our "new" radio belongs to a 2012 prius. When we confronted the dealership, they said refurbished parts are within warranty. We do not feel replacing a new 3 month old 2014 car with a "refurbished???" 2012 radio/mfd/voice activation/navigation is ok and are trying to figure out what we "had" and what we have now. Had we known they were going to do that we would have been more insistent that our 2014 was repaired or some other solution reached beforehand. btw - refurbished 2012 radios go for $350 on ebay - new 2014 are upwards of $5,000. I know ours was 3 months "used" but just seems not right. thanks for any help anyone can offer and hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    call the Toyota corporate office in Torrance CA and see what their policy is on replacements. If it's suppose to be new, you can file a complaint while you re on the phone (I would). I believe it suppose to be a new radio as well. I would be really upset if I were in your shoes.

5. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife is in our 2014 pri 3 at work, but when she gets home, I can look at our stock radio. But what numbers are you looking for and where??
    From my fuzzy memory, I do not remember ever seeing a number "on the right side of their faceplate, just under the touchscreen."
    My wife will be home in about an hour, I will look!

6. mountaindays

mountaindays New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you -that would be great. Just under the screen, on ours now there is a faceplate - with the numbers 57032 on the right side - on the left it says hd radio, xm - I'm pretty sure it didn't have the numbers before...but could be wrong and just didn't pay enough attention. We are not sure if they changed the faceplates as well or just the radio. Many of the 2012 refurb. radios come with the 57032 faceplate. The service guy (who now we hardly trust) says that the 2012 radio and 2014 radio are exactly the same....

7. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, same. 57032 on the right and HD radio left. I installed the PC screen sun visor for the Nav system and it covers those numbers and words on the faceplate. Thats why i did not remember seeing them. I would bet the only way to know the age of the radio is from its mod and serial number, OR Sirius may be able to bring it up through a satellite link. Good luck.

8. mountaindays

mountaindays New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ok thanks. No, I know its a 2012 radio. Sirius at first wouldn't transfer our subscription as we were not authorized users on the account since the radio was still identified with the prior car it was in. Our dealership after being confronted admitted it was a 2012 radio and to consult our warranty where it says parts may be replaced with new or remanufactured parts at dealer or Toyota choice and that they are within warranty to do so. I was hoping it was a blatant different model of radio....the fact remains though that at the least it is a 2 year old radio, at significant less value than what was in there. If anyone has information of what exact model of radio is in the 2014 prius 3 that would be great - or if they know what model was in the 2012. I think it was 86140-47060. That is a bit easier to find since there are failing 2012 radios out there - not so many 2014's......yet....ours did after 3 months.

9. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Keep all your work orders. Our 2013 Dodge Dart started with a simple "blink" on the Nav screen, that progressed to a total Nav - main computer failure months later. The Nav and main computer were replaced, but, all the multiple computer systems, communicate,,, and the "bug" moved from one system to the next to us finally Lemon Law-ing the car. Not saying it will happen on Toyota's, but it amazed me how one electrical system can seemingly corrupt others now days! 3 visits to the shop for the same problem can qualify for the lemon law...