1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Plug-In defies skeptics with sales leap as California HOV lane stickers run out

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by TorqueNews, Jun 9, 2014.

1. TorqueNews

TorqueNews Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anyone here from California. Do you see a lot of Priuses on the roads?

2014 Prius Plug-In defies skeptics with sales leap as California HOV lane stickers run out - Torque News

"
    Why Do EV Advocates Dislike the Prius Plug-In?
    For reasons that we have a hard time understanding, there are a lot of negative feelings from advocates of electric vehicles towards the Prius and the Prius Plug-In. It is very common for our stories to have comments from EV fans expressing thoughts other than positive about these green vehicles. For example, one reader and commenter we respect wrote under a popular Prius Plug-in story we published about 5 weeks ago “The PIP doesn't provide much value as a plug-in hybrid. Range is crap and it costs about the same as a Volt after tax credits. My guess is that a ton of people buy these in California to get green stickers. They drive them every day, never plugging them in. This will all change next month. The green stickers have run out.” This is not an unusual comment. On another site we follow a premium EV owner expressed her frustration that people were buying affordable Volts and Prius Plug-Ins, and to paraphrase her comments, “never planning to run them on electricity, but are just hogging up the HOV lanes burning gas.” Our survey of Facebook and other social media commentary find similar examples of this viewpoint. We don’t agree, or disagree with it. We simply wish to convey that the sentiment exists and that it is not just one or two vocal advocates as far as we can determine."

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think EV purists see the Prius as just wasting the world's petroleum resources at the very lowest rate.

Some folks (Hybrid, Diesel, EV, does not matter) wish to mandate that everyone has the same usage as they do and could use their car.

(Tomorrow I will drive 92 miles, use a 17 foot ladder, and then drive 92 miles home. My car makes this easy, but it is not everyone's use for a car)

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  3. TorqueNews

TorqueNews Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JimboPalmer, great point. Everyone doesn't have the same usage for a given car. In fact this has been realized even by the Performance car industry, as Dodge Challenger now has added 4 driving modes for 4 different types of people.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In another thread, it was mentioned that at least one dealer still has green stickered PPIs for sale. So their influence could still happening on sales.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    People with short commute will buy PiP. They are greener because they live close to work and drive less miles.

I don't care what fuel you use to drive. Every mile need energy.

So, why people with long commute look down on those with short commute?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I also guessed that PiP sales would plummet without the HOV perk. Have the cars been discounted ?

Car price aside, the people who trash the current PiP range are ideologues who miss the point. Consider a PiP that is used for 40 miles in a day, 12 of them EV, 28 miles with petrol at 50 MPG. The overall petrol use works out to 71.4 MPG.

What regular Prius owner would turn up their nose at that ?

#6 SageBrush, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is an assumption that only people with short commutes are buying PPIs. The article is in reference to sales in California where commutes of up to 70 miles one way aren't unheard of. HOV stickers were adding $4000 to the price of gen2 Prii there.

"The Census data show that the most extreme commuting in the country is in California and the Washington, D.C., area. The four longest commutes in the country are in California, involving commuters heading to Los Angeles and San Francisco. Three of the top 10 worst commuting times belong to towns in Southern California and four are in northern California."
    America's Worst Commutes - Forbes

There are people that have admitted to buying the PPI or Volt in California for the HOV access, and have no intention of plugging in. The better fuel economy and no loss of cargo space may make the PPI more appealing to such people. Without knowing an individual's specifics in regards to their commute and choosing a car, we can't know the PPI is only bought by short commuters, or if the commenters have long commutes.
    Good question. Another is if all the HOV stickered ones have been sold? It seems dealers could have pre-bought them for cars, and some may have stock piled them for the eventual expiration of the availability.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Or a 1000 or so people in California were misinformed that month ;)
    We'll see what June brings in the way of sales.

9. srl99

srl99 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or maybe they double this. ~ 50 miles each way, 10-12 on EV, net "mpG" in the 70's.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm one of the harshest critics of the PiP.
    It certainly isn't because I don't think it is a good car. Far from it, it is better than any ICE out there.

The reason I am so disappointed is Toyota had been a leader, rather than a follower.
    So now, rather than broadening the market for efficient vehicles, they are sitting on their advantage and grasping onto it with both hands.

Leverage the advantages of the electric drive and stop running adds that throw FUD at plugin vehicles.

Trollbait likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i feel there is a disconnect between marketing, product planning and engineering. perhaps that's why they moved to texas. i also get the impression that they believe toyota and lexus models have very different target markets. that may or may not be true, it's tough to judge by the people commenting here vs the general buying public. time will tell, i guess.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yep