1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2014 Prius Two : Can't over inflate

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by everking, Apr 8, 2014.

1. everking

everking New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry if this is a double-post. I can't seem the find the original thread that I thought I created.

There were suggestions from this Forum to over inflate the tires to 42 to 44 psi. However, on my 2014 Prius Two, it seems to stop at 40 psi -- can't push it higher than this.

Is this a new feature? Is there a way to work around it?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What are you inflating with? Sometimes an anemic gas station pump can hang at a certain psi, or actually start to drop.

I really doubt there's any mechanism in your tires.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How does it stop? The valve stops taking air?

4. everking

everking New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a compressor that I bought from Target or Walmart (long time ago). I can over inflate my Sienna but not the new Prius. I even one time inadvertently overinflated my bike to more than 40psi.

I'm thinking that there might be new TPMS used that has this feature.

5. everking

everking New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hear hissing sound after I hit 40psi.

Sounded like an air leak. This is for all 4 tires.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This must be a new feature, never heard of it. Even at 40 lbs of pressure, you should be fine.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there is any over-inflation protection...so be careful.
    First of all, since the MPG curve flattens there is not much advantage to over-inflate, especially with warmer weather coming. If you choose to, be sure to use good equipment and check pressure carefully with trusted gauge. Over pressure can be very hazardous if you go too far.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd think that would be pretty big news, in either the tire industry, or The Prius world or both.

I haven't heard anything about tires or valves being designed to prevent over inflation.

As fond as some Prius Owners are of inflating their tires beyond the manufacturers recommendations, if this becomes the industry standard?

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to have a tire valve which woudl limit the pressure in my landscaping equipment to around 20psi. can't get in to the guys heads that you don't need to jam 40psi in a lawn mower or golf cart tire...

problem with one on a car would be that if you drive on a long trip the pressure will increase and get released to maintain the design pressure and then when the vehicle stopped, lets say overnight, as the air in the tire cools down the pressure would then be very low.

10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OP, you are having operator or air supply failure.

If you have a good air supply, a good supply valve, and press properly down onto the receiving valve, you should be able to inflate as far as the tire or supply pressure will take.

Try another air supply, supply valve, or modify your technique and you should be good to go. If you are new to all this perhaps you have a friend or mentor that could assist until this gets worked out.

I have found a good set of inflations for my C to be 42psi in the front and 38 in the rear. A lot would depend on your local roads...rough, and you may not wish to go over 40psi...smooth, and you may be able to go as high as 44psi. It does get rough over 40psi, though. My most comfy inflations were 38 front and 36 rear. A nice compromise.