1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius C,,should I wait?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Jazzyjeff, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Jazzyjeff

Jazzyjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All,

Again I turn to my friends at Prius Chat for some guidance. I wonder if anyone has any info on the 2015 Prius c. Should I wait for the new model or try to get a remaining 2014 model? I tried calling Toyota's National number but they were nice but no help, no information on 2015's. Seems like every year the c was later than other models which are already out? Of the questions I have which Toyota can not answer would be;

1) Will the 2015 model change to a Lithium Ion Battery as the regular Prius is rumored to have? I am now hearing that may be a couple of years away even with the regular Prius? If the Prius c had a Lithium Ion battery that might be a reason to wait right there and a game changer?

2) I am wondering if the styling of the 2015 Prius c will be better or worse than the current model. I do like the 2014 models. Anybody have any type of pictures of the 2015 models?

3) Anything new with engine, technology, interior and Navigation (the c Three)?

4) If I do decide to go for the 2014, when is the best time to buy for a super deal? I know that some people say wait till the end of the month. Others say that there is a nationwide Toyota Clearance going on? Thoughts?

Thanks to all and like I said, I again turn to you all for the best info around. You guys and gals are great. Jeff

2. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay so my questions is, why are you waiting? What car are you driving now? Personally, if what I have is pretty great, reliable and safe I'd stay driving it and meanwhile start saving up for my down payment on my 2015 C. No one knows what the 2015 C will or won't have for sure, so if you can wait, do wait.

And if once the 2015 C comes out it isn't all that great you'll still be in a good position. You'll have the extra money that you saved up for the down payment, and a choice between a 2014 and 2015 as well as a cheaper price on the 2014 C if you do prefer that one.

I'd definitely wait, and save up money.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Chances are, there will be no MAJOR changes to the Prius C for the 2015 year model. Toyota seems to wait for major redesigns to introduce new mechanical changes. The C model has a few year to go before they release the Gen II model.

Also, the battery technology will have little impact on the C. Unless, they introduce a Plug-in version.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking as someone who waited several years to finally purchase a Prius, I'd say the determining factor should ONLY be do you want one?

With Hybrid technology, there's change and rumors of change, all the time. You can wait forever for that game changing step. In the meantime, you're not driving a hybrid.

Also? What's the worst case scenario? Even if 2015, 16 or later produces some change in technology or styling, if it is alluring enough, changes can be made, current vehicles traded in. In simplistic terms, buying vehicle A today, doesn't mean changing to vehicle B tomorrow becomes impossible. Just a matter of cost.

How much do you want a Prius today? If the answer is, luke warm, or you're willing to wait? Wait.

If you want to start driving a Prius ASAP...then make the move. I wouldn't fear some huge leap in styling or technology that suddenly makes a brand new vehicle obsolete.

5. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The Prius Hatch would be Toyota's main focus for new tech, IMO. Everything else trickles down (C, V) and up (Lexus CT200h) later. If you're waiting for drive train changes to the C, I have a feeling you'll be waiting at least 2 years after the introduction of the next gen Prius. In fact, I dare say that for the C which is basically the econo-box of hybrids with a scaled down drive train from the regular Prius (meaning different), you'd probably wait even longer than simply slipping the next gen drive train into the new V and CT.

6. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember talking to a Toyota salesman a while back, and he said Toyota generally releases a new version of their cars every 4-6 years. So I believe the 2015 will likely be fairly unchanged from the 2014. The likeliest time Gen 2 comes out is 2016, but I'd say 2017 or 2018 is more likely, especially after the Gen 4 liftback has been out.

It's probably better to wait until Gen 2 comes out if you're driving the 2012 one, as the 2014/15 will likely be largely unchanged from that year's model. Just start saving up for it now, and if you have to wait 2-3 years (assuming you don't crash it first), then just think how much more you can put down when the next gen comes out.

I doubt the current gen c will get lithium batteries, until the liftback has more data on it so they can analyze if it'll be cost-effective to do it on the smaller version.

As for a plug-in version, it's possible but again I wouldn't hold my breath for it, since they don't even want to release the PiP in all 50 states (I certainly would've considered it if they sold them in Wisconsin) and it would likely add a few thousand to the c's price tag, which may cause Toyota to be hesitant to release one since they want the price to stay low.

7. Jazzyjeff

Jazzyjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Any photos of the C available yet for 2015?

8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick googling of it didn't turn anything up. Probably have to wait a few more weeks or even near the end of 2014 before any info on it shows up.

If we're lucky we might get a refresh meaning the car may look slightly different with a new grille/head/tail lights but engine/powertrain-wise it's probably the same until gen 2.

9. daddyd302

daddyd302 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're gonna be waiting for a while jazzyjeff. There's really no rumors on the internet about the C, most of the news/rumors are about the regular Prius. I think they're getting a new or refresh model in 2016.

#9 daddyd302, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if you want bells and whistles buy a civic, if you want great mpg go for the prius C

11. Fuu

Fuu New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting; but that first link is wrong - although they call it 'Prius c' everywhere, all the details are about the new 'Prius' instead (e.g. they say 'gen IV', refer to the 2010 model, etc.).

12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was googling - sorry - no excuses - I hate when that happens ----