1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius hids flickering

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Brand1sh, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Brand1sh

Brand1sh New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,
    New Prius owner and forum member here!

I recently purchased this kit;
    ZEEZ HID Xenon Conversion Kit Complete System Slim Ballasts + Bulbs + Accessory from ebay
    (sorry for not linking, I'm a newb it wouldn't let me!), and installed it today. It came with a relay harness, but after reading here and watching some YouTube videos and reading comments there I decided to go the plug n play route.
    They look good, light up nice and bright as well. I mounted the ballasts in the fenders and zip tied the wires so they're not touching anything sharp or hot.
    The problem is they flicker, both sides but it seems like the right side does it more. Is the problem the bulbs or ballasts ? Or do I need the relay harness ? I know its not the highest quality equipment either but I know the difference between utter garbage and a decent product. This seems the latter but then again this is my first experience with hids.
    If I do need to install the relay harness I see how straightforward the installation is. However I cannot figure out where I would connect the red wire from the harness to a good voltage source.
    I searched the forums before posting but couldn't find all the answers I need !

Thanks in advance!!

-B

2. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is why don't go cheap on lights. These eBay kits with funny names are all junk. I've been doing lights for over 10 years (14 years actually) on all kinds of cars. If you want nice stuff, gotta go factory. There's some nice aftermarket stuff too out there but they cost more than generic.

I'm doing a full Lexus conversion on my Prius very soon. I'll post a thread when I'm done.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  3. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your Lexus retrofit project. There are some of us running with the JDM HIDs. They're nice lights but the cutoff is wrong for a LHD configuration.

4. Brand1sh

Brand1sh New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds awesome!

Can someone please tell me the best place for a 12v source so I can install the relay harness? I see the jump start positive wafer under the fuse box. Do I tap into that somehow or is there a better place?

Thanks !

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Use one of the two open terminals toward the back of the engine fuse box. In this picture, they are the ones with the red wires running to them. They are 12v always hot power, just like connecting to the auxilliary battery. Use a 1/4" push on terminal on your power wire. Alternatively, in the picture, there is the bolt where the screwdriver is pointing to , under the opened cover. That is 12v positive, directly from the battery.

[​IMG]

Brand1sh and Dylan Doxey like this.
  6. Brand1sh

Brand1sh New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Xlide!
    The two terminals you're referring to are on the ends of the red wires we can't see in the picture correct? Would it be safe to use a splice terminal for this application or should I tap into one of the 2 terminals you recommended.
    Also I'd hate to fry anything (including myself!), should I disconnect the battery for this ?

Thanks again.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, they are the blade terminals at the end of the red wires in my picture above.

I make all connections, then connect to those hot terminals last, without disconnecting the 12v auxiliary battery.

I would not suggest using a splice type connection for main power to HID ballasts, that is the main reason why you use a relay, to switch power directly from the battery or other high amperage source.

Brand1sh likes this.
  8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. See DDM Tuning to see what they offer that might do the job. I use them for my Honda MOTORCYCLE.

2. Flickering is the product of the ballast being undercharged. Most ALL HID systems have a capacitor to help get the HIDs up and steady, but drops in voltage (weak battery or heavy drain affecting power supply) will make them flicker. On my motorcycle, I've seen the HID flicker at idle...especially if the battery isn't at 90%+ at start up. Sometimes it comes on, and if I test the turn signal, it will go out when the turn signal lights up. At higher RPM (increases system voltage) or after running a while, this no longer happens.

It SHOULD NOT be an issue on most vehicles, but the Prius (more than others) might limit the output on the headlight circuit (someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this), and that means it needs either more power or a setup that more adequately manages with the power available. DDM Tuning's slim ballast setup works on motorcycle 12 volt systems, so I'd expect them to do fine with a Prius.

Brand1sh likes this.
  9. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same issue with 3 different brands of hids.. Finally found a set that i bought on amazon. OPT7 HID Conversion Kit and went with their 5k color 55watt kit.. No flickers and no relay addon required. I plugged straight into the factory socket. These were around 70$ a year ago when i got them.. No issuses or flickers since installing.
    Fyi.. I tried ddm tuning they flickered after 2 days
    amazon.com/OPT7®-Xenon-Conversion-Harness-Capacitors/dp/B00CC2ZU4K

#9 04priusnow, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Brand1sh likes this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Brand1sh likes this.
  11. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep.. Didnt even install the harness and never had a flicker in the last 30k miles. OPT7 all the way

12. Brand1sh

Brand1sh New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the help folks ! I'll install the relay harness the next day its not raining or 95°+ outside.
    I believe the reason for the flickering, in my case (according to the seller actually) is due to the daytime running lights drawing some power from the battery as well. Limiting what the HIDs need.
    Once I install I'll report back with the results. Hopefully this can help someone else down the line at least.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    DRLs aren't normally on with the lowbeams? Even if they are, it shouldn't affect the HID ballasts.

Installing the HID harness should help (can't hurt).

Make sure you check all connections, if you have ground wires to connect when installing the HID harness, ensure that they are good metal to metal contacts

Brand1sh likes this.