1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Prius v (lowercase v) Five Electronics Lemon

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Romeo90626, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Romeo90626

Romeo90626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I ordered a new 2015 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) 5, with the works, all electronics including the remote start and alarm system from a Fayetteville TN, i.e. Landers McClarty, the dealer.
    1st Had problem with FOB, which would open the car, but was not recognized (while in the car) by the starting system push button. The button would not start the car! Found that the emergency procedure (hold FOB to button) would allow it to be started. Too to local HSV AL dealer, who initially claimed ignorance since SE Toyota was their distributer (who did not install remote start systems in ther Toyotas) and the TN dealer was in a zone (Cincinatti) that DID!!! How on earth did Toyota ever let that happen???? Finally, aftefr much complaining to Toyota, HSV Toyota agreed to fix problem rather than force me to go to TN to get it fixed.
    2nd The automatice speed/radar control stopped working! It just would not let me set the speed. I have that option on all my cars (2015 Corvette Z06, 2010 RX 450h Lexus, 2005 Corvette, 2010 Prius, etc.) and use it always. Turns out that to get it to function, I had to turn off the car and restart; then it worked. Back to dealer. N o resolution!!
    3rd The touch screen would not accept inputs. NO FUNCTION THAT IS CONTROLLED BY THE TOUCH SCREEN WILL WORK!!! FYI: Essentially all car functions are controlled by the touch screen!! I.E. GPS, RADIO, ETC. UNLESS I TURN OFF THE CAR AND RESTART IT!!! Back to dealer 3 more times. Cannot Fix!!! Requires a new radio. Now this part is back ordered until the end of August!! SO MY CAR IS AN ACCIDENT TRAP UNTIL THE END OF AUGUST. Anyone have similart problems??

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think is an accident trap

3. Romeo90626

Romeo90626 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    LOL You're a big help. How about justifying your position?. I can surely can justify mine. Why don't you try having your radar controlled, automatic speed control conk out while driving on I 65 @ 75+ mph, in the Birmingham AL area (or equivelent) in bumper to bumper traffic with a 18 wheeler on your tail! I DID. Not pretty! Of course in the Left Coast, i.e. LA, bumper to bumper traffic runs at a mighty 20 mph if your lucky. Until you've walked in my shoes, uniformed opinions are just that. .

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, wow, you got the triple whammy! :( there's a huge thread here on v touch screen issue's. all the best

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Your attitude isn't winning you any credibility here. There's a better than 50/50 chance that your "problem" with the RASC is at least in part due to user error. It does take some learning and isn't always appropriate to use in traffic. Weather can also render it useless.

In any case, you shouldn't expect a warm reception in a Prius forum if you're just here to gripe and whine. But if you're here to get help with a problem you'll get plenty of that. Your choice.

6. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Romeo, while you wait for your new head unit use this work-around; to reboot a frozen head unit touch screen simply press and hold the volume knob for three seconds. This can be performed while driving.

As a previous Prius owner you may know that the cruise/radar control will not function if the windshield wipers are set to fast wipes. It sounds like you were experiencing a malfunction, as you had to turn the vehicle off/on to get it to work again. Did you try to turn the cruise control system off and back on with the button at end of cruise control stalk?

I sure hope you get over these electronic problems and can enjoy your Prius v with Adv. Tech. Pkg. as much as I have.

7. Frank Kwong

Frank Kwong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try hold the radio on/off button for 5 secs or so to reboot the radio. No need to stop the car. I have the same Prius v "Lemon" and several trips to the dealers end up they cannot get the radio part. End up calling the customer experience dept and assigned a case manager. He said he cannot help but the part is from Panasonic and I am 7th on the list - August 15 is the date. Today is 07/01 and got a call the part is in. Will go and have it replace tomorrow. Will give an update tomorrow. Now find out the auto rear mirror is not working and no dimming. Getting high end advanced package is definitely a bad idea. I leased a model 2 for 3 years and have no problem at all.

*** Just got back from the dealer. Waited 3 hours for the replacement radio to be put in. The plastic covering the screen is still there may be that means it is a new unit. All is working. Will check it out for a few more days to confirm. If you have problem talking to the dealer call the customer experience dept -> 800-334-4331. The case manager will help you out.

#7 Frank Kwong, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015