1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2015 Solar roof - Options for racks?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mikeyb1377, Aug 3, 2015.

1. mikeyb1377

mikeyb1377 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've been looking at roof rack options for my 2015 Prius. I'm wondering if anyone out there has some experience with putting a rack on their roof for kayaks and such. Opening and closing the moonroof isn't a huge concern, on hot days I can just stick with the a/c if I can't open the roof with a rack on. :)

Thanks!

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please clarify. Are you concerned with how a roof rack impacts the function of the solar panel, are you looking for a roof rack that doesn't affect the function of the solar panel, or are you asking for a roof rack that's compatible with the solar panel (fit) so it doesn't damage it?

FWIW, I'd say ANY roof rack that doesn't totally block sunlight would have a negligible impact on solar collection function...as all the panel does is run a fan. :rolleyes:

If there is stuff loaded on the roof rack that blocks a significant portion of the solar panel, obviously it will compromise function, but again, it only really matters when your car is parked.

I DO NOT have a solar panel on my Prius, and I don't miss it. Unless you're going to park a long time in the south, I doubt you'll notice much of a loss of utility.

3. mikeyb1377

mikeyb1377 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Here's a bit more detail.
    I was looking at Yakima racks, because I have parts I can use for my kayak and mtn bike. On their site, they have an option for Prius 5dr, and Prius 5dr with solar. If I pick the solar option it has no roof options. So I wondered why that is and if anyone has other ideas or rack options.
    I'm not concerned with using the solar panel, or even the moonroof when the rack is on. I just want to make sure it doesn't cause any issue.
    Thanks again!

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What has the manufacturer said? Did you e-mail them and ask?

5. EGGS

EGGS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i own an solar roof . and couldn't live without it . the car is always a comfortable temperature no matter when i get in it .

the problem with roof racks is the weight . the entire roof is glass and can crack . you can just install a hitch . i have a ecco hitch @in receiver . very stable bike rack and easy to install . my kayak is smaller so it fits inside . although i did look into the Foam blocks that strap on to the roof and they look like they would work .

Torklift Central | 2010-2015 Toyota Prius & Prius Plugin EcoHitch

Highland SportWing 4 Bike Rack for 2" Hitches - Aluminum Highland Hitch Bike Racks 1370400

btw minimal impact on fuel economy with the bikes off the back . i see a slight loss at 3 bikes and 3 people in the car but that is expected . and i never use the 4th position . to much leverage / weight

6. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the solar roof on my Gen 3 and I was able to put in the yakima rack..... just remember not to open the moonroof when the rack is on the car.....

check out the pics here - After 1 year (JDM ZVW30 project).... | Page 25 | PriusChat