1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2G Prius Plug-in Reveal - March 23 @ 9:10 am EDT - Live Stream here

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PRPrius, Mar 15, 2016.

1. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I don't know why people think a solar panel on an EV car would do any good. They could probably fit one 200W panel on the car which would add weight and probably hurt the wind drag. Over an 8 hr day, maybe you could get 1KWh from the panel minus any charging losses. Which would be another 3-4 miles of range. If you were actually driving, for 2 hrs (100 miles perhaps), you could get another 0.4 KWh or another 1.5 miles onto your 100 miles driven. The numbers make no sense at all to put solar panels on cars.

2. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The solar panel on the Prius is to run a ventalation fan and top off the 12v battery.

As you point out, it's useless for adding EV range. Solar belongs in fixed locations, not on vehicles that rarely point directly at the sun and park in garages.

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very interested.

4. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't want to argue, since this item is highly speculative.

Hybridébridé, with whom I discuss a lot on the Hybrid Life forum, commented as follows:

Similar to your estimate, he sees the possibility for putting between 150 to 300 W, depending on the type of solar cells used, and claims this could yield after 4 h in full (french) sun shine between 600 and 1200 Wh, which corresponds to 4 to 8 miles EV-range in ECO mode. He thinks this would be great. He is a bit more optimistic. 4 to 8 miles is not negligible.

In a reply, 7DAN has put this link to the APRS solar panel PHEV project.

All this indicates the idea of solar panels could well help generate more EV-range, especially in southern regions like California.

I just wanted to bring this up, not as something certified. We'll see whether it leads to anything...

Jan ;)

parkerbol likes this.
  5. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm. If it's 22 miles ev and solar... Ie effectively charging 2 to 3 miles on a road trip or 5 miles from just parking we might have a winner and a solution for those who don't have a plug, ie city drivers. I wonder what's going to happen...

I didn't think the tech was there yet...

merged

Interesting there's a rear wiper in the spy shots. I would imagine if they thought they could get away with it on the regular prius why not now...?

#85 inferno, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    Blizzard_Persona and Mister MMT like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The panels in the photo don't look that big. They are likely for just running the fan while park and topping off the starter battery. Like the Gen3 had, and other brand models, mostly luxury, with a summer package.

I'd think street level of a city would be one of the worse places for solar panel placement.:cool:

7. Kardahs

Kardahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We agree that a solar panel is not best used on the roof of a car (the one on my Gen3 only serves a couple of days during holidays in the summer instead of producing little but useful energy all year long elsewhere), but I have to admit that marketing-wise it makes sense as people will buy the idea. As an option that might sell well. It's more or less the same with the Model S, I'd be interested to know what percentage of drivers really do need the 600kg of batteries they're carrying all the time :D

8. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I'm also thinking about the loss of efficiency to make the panels/cells unbreakable on the road - more protective glass and then that would mean less headroom inside. I'd hate to see the repair bill if the panel has an issue or develops a crack somewhere.

9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They have data already though. They have had roofs for a while and a solar roof since the 2010...I wonder if insurance is higher?

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if the purpose of the solar was still venting the car during parking, it may take some load off the HV battery. But I do not know if we see solar option in the US.

11. Kardahs

Kardahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    As far as I know it takes no load from no one as it only works when the car is turned off. It indirectly takes some load off the HV battery by requiring less A/C when turning the car on though, it might also protect the HV battery by lowering the temperature inside the car.

parkerbol, Bay Stater and Trollbait like this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...like Tesla, battery size options?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    solar roof for battery charging as a one off is interesting. production for a major manufacturer is a whole different ball game. it's not going to happen.

multiple battery sizes are certainly a possibility, but make more sense in a bev than a phev.

14. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone else notice that the lit tail lights look similar to the top of the T in the Tesla logo?

mrlebop likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm, now that you mention it...:sneaky:

mrlebop likes this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

agreed, what I was trying to say too

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does dip in the centre. I wonder if the rear spoiler has a divot in the centre too (as if they're trying to channel air out the centre of the car to minimise turbulence from the sides of the car).

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    [​IMG] ah, yes - the infamous Toyota teaser photos ....
    With the impatient wait on the Gen II Pip - I really hope that there'll be some Gen II Pip spec's revealed, as well as the eye candy.

inferno likes this.
  19. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know what it is...I was excited for the Gen IV, but coming from the Gen 3 plugin (see what I did here?) it is hard to think about an upgrade. I was already by default 2-3% above the regular Gen 3 mpg. So going to a Gen IV (though I see some amazing numbers out there) doesn't make too much sense. Now if the Gen II plugin offers 2%-3% higher in HV mode and more EV...especially solar EV, well I wouldn't be able to resist.

Still, the Gen IV seems unique and there are great numbers. But I have solar, when I plugin I feel good, damnit !

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

#100 Sergiospl, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    KrPtNk likes this.