1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3 quick beeps and engine shuts off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bgilly, Nov 14, 2014.

1. bgilly

bgilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While driving, my 2004 Prius will randomly beep (3 quick beeps), then some of those times, the engine will shut off, the screen will switch to show the energy flow screen, and the car will drive on battery. It will run on battery until either the battery runs low or I press hard on the throttle, then the engine will turn back on.

Here's a video from my dashcam, from earlier today -

One of three scenarios usually occur:
    1. I'm driving slowly (below the 41mph limit of the car's electric-only drive mode), and the three beeps cause the engine to shut off.
    2. I'm driving above 41mph, and the three beeps doesn't cause the engine to shut off.
    3. I'm driving above 41mph with cruise control on, and the three beeps causes the cruise control to disengage. The engine stays running, but I do have to re-engage the cruise control to resume my previously set speed.

I've been experiencing this since early this year, and while it has never caused any issues another than being annoying, I'm very curious to determine the cause. There are no codes thrown, and it is truly random - no temperature, speed, driving time, or other conditions seem to correlate.

Any idea what these 3 beeps indicate?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It also makes that sound when speed is bellow 41MPH? EV indicator is newer light? Multifunction display isn’t showing anything? Do you have ev-button kit installed? What did you check the codes with? You need Toyota hybrid capable scanner to check anything other than normal engine codes. If you want to check yourself you should get techstream.

PS: This should be on Gen II Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very strange.

1. Are you sure the sound is from the Prius and not from some other device in the car (like a phone, child's toy etc.)
    2. No warning lights on, or warning messages/icons on the MFD?
    3. Check the 12V battery voltage in the morning, after the car has been resting IG-OFF overnight.
    4. What is the fuel gauge level?
    5. Check the engine oil level on the dipstick.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think I have heard those beeps before, but I cannot place exactly when. My fuzzy impression is that the beeps are more an "FYI" than an alert.

Maybe going in or out of EV mode ??

#4 SageBrush, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It’s the same sound that comes from when pressing the ev-button when it’s not possible to go to ev-mode.

uart likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You also get the three beeps when the car drops out of EV mode at 31 mph (registered speed actual speed about 28 mph) on the European version with the EV switch.

John (Britprius)

uart likes this.
  7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, as valde and Brit say, the only time I normally hear that rapid three beeps is when it either cant go into EV mode (via EV button) or when it kicks you out of EV mode for going too fast.

I get EV mode denial just about every afternoon in summer time as the battery gets too hot to accept it. I press the button and I just get "beep beep beep" and the message "EV mode is not currently available" on the MFD.

It sounds like this is not the issue for the OP though. I'd definitely check all the fluid levels and especially the inverter coolant pump as a matter of priority. I know that it can kick you out of cruise control if the inverter gets too hot. I've never had it happen to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a beep associated with that event.

bgilly, can you correlate these events at all with temperature (or how long and hard the car has been driven)?

8. bgilly

bgilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great stuff guys, thanks for the info. I’ll address each question or point below:

From valde3:
    • It also makes that sound when speed is bellow 41MPH?
      • Yes, speed does not seem to impact when or how often this issue happens.
    • EV indicator is newer light?
      • I’m not sure what you mean here, is there a newer version of the EV indicator? My car doesn’t have an EV indicator per se, I can only tell if I’m driving in EV mode by sound, by the MPG indicator being maxed out, or by the energy flow screen showing energy only flowing the battery (and not the ICE).
    • Multifunction display isn’t showing anything?
      • Nothing abnormal, no. I normally have the screen showing the MPG chart, and sometimes (oddly enough, not all the time) this beeping issue will cause the screen to switch over to the energy flow screen.
    • Do you have ev-button kit installed?
      • No. I wonder sometimes if a previous owner did have it installed, and maybe there is some improperly removed component of it that is causing issues. Sounds unlikely, but I’m grasping at straws here. :)
    • What did you check the codes with?
      • I have a cheapy $17 OBD scanner from Amazon that I use with both Dash and Torque on my phone. I also said that there are no codes because the check engine light does not turn on when this happens.

From Patrick Wong:
    • Are you sure the sound is from the Prius and not from some other device in the car (like a phone, child's toy etc.)
      • Yes, positive.
    • No warning lights on, or warning messages/icons on the MFD?
      • Correct, no warning lights or warning messages.
    • Check the 12V battery voltage in the morning, after the car has been resting IG-OFF overnight.
      • Will do, what should I look for exactly? Probably worth noting that this issue has persisted across 3 different 12V batteries. I had the original battery that I bought the car with, replaced that with an Optima that failed, and then replaced that with a Toyota OEM battery that is in the car now (a few months old now).
    • What is the fuel gauge level?
      • Varies, and doesn’t seem to correlate with this issue. The video I posted had the fuel gauge around the 1/4 mark.
    • Check the engine oil level on the dipstick.
      • Sure, will do. Are you implying that there is an oil level sensor that would prevent the engine from running if the level drops?

From uart:
    • as valde and Brit say, the only time I normally hear that rapid three beeps is when it either cant go into EV mode (via EV button) or when it kicks you out of EV mode for going too fast.
      • This is what I keep coming across as well, except that my car is a US model and doesn’t have an EV button or an explicit EV mode. I have wondered to myself quite a few times if there is some mistake or glitch in my car’s ECU.
    • the message "EV mode is not currently available" on the MFD
      • Have never seen this on my car.
    • check all the fluid levels and especially the inverter coolant pump as a matter of priority. I know that it can kick you out of cruise control if the inverter gets too hot.
      • Will do, good call. Are you thinking that inverter coolant pump overheating would effect the ICE operation?
    • can you correlate these events at all with temperature (or how long and hard the car has been driven)?
      • Unfortunately not. It has happened on hot days and cold days, and on short drives as well as long drives. Seems to be truly random.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Do I remember correctly that the combination meter (CM) is involved in cruise control ?
    Perhaps it is that board that is slightly flaky. I know the car has a complex decision tree that starts with knowing the travel speed. If the speed is unknown or in doubt then a cascade of default actions occur.

Mostly the confused EV and CC behaviors seem to point to a common junction. Still have to find it though, and then decide if the board or the connections are the fault

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the previous owner installed a coastal or his own ev mod and it's acting funky, basically kicking in by itself, the letting you know when it's kicking out.

11. bgilly

bgilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair guess, Bisco. Any idea how I could check to make sure? What is a coastal?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a little chip you install behind the glovebox. even though genII prius didn't have the button in north america, all the wiring is there. the coastal mod is controlled by the cruise control stock. others made their own and installed an ev button. you can google coastal, they are still in business.

13. bgilly

bgilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be on to something Bisco. Going through Coastal's site, I found their power outlet mod, which I believe my car has. My cigarette lighter stays on even when my car is off. So it is possible that a previous owner installed a Coastal EV mod as well. Very interesting!

14. bgilly

bgilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to try holding my cruise control cancel for 2 seconds and see what happens!

15. bgilly

bgilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got in my car last night, it had been sitting for a while, so it was a cold start. While still in my parking spot, once the engine turned on, I held the cruise control cancel for a couple seconds. The engine continued to run, but I got the same 3 beeps! I repeated that a couple times, with the 3 beeps and the engine continuing to run each time.

Then I started driving, and it seemed like I was in EV mode for a bit - I was able to accelerate at a fairly normal pace without the engine turning on. At the next stop light, I accelerated a bit harder, and the engine did turn on accompanied by 3 beeps.

I was unable to get the car into EV mode for the rest of my 45 minute drive, although I did try a few times while on city streets. So it seems like my car may have the EV mod, and there is something wrong with the wiring. Maybe a loose connection.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when the engine is sufficiently warm, the only thing that should inhibit ev is battery level. or you hit the gas too hard or go over a certain speed.

17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good. Call. Bisco !

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That and battery temperature too high. I'm not sure if it's the same for all markets, but in the Australian Prius (where the EV button is standard) the high temperature cut out point for EV is not very high. I don't know the exact temperature but it seems like it's probably only high 30's to low 40's C. Mine gets disable just about every afternoon in summer.

Another interesting one is that it doesn't only disable EV mode when the SOC is too low, amazingly it also disables it if the SOC is too high. I know that seems counter intuitive, and to tell the truth I don't really understand why, but mine definitely gets disabled if the battery maxes out to full 8 bars. I think it's actually only when the SOC is too high though, as in soon before it kicks in the "spin the engine without fuel" trick to burn off excess charge.

To be honest mine disabled the EV mode so often and for so many different reasons that for the first year or so that I owned it I thought that perhaps the phase of the moon might be a factor.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The initial difficulty this forum had in identifying the '3 beeps' behavior really emphasizes just how useless EV mode in the Prius is for most of us.

bisco likes this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Uart I also find that a fully charged battery prevents EV use. I regularly do a journey that takes me down a long hill "about 2 miles" at the bottom of this hill the battery is at 8 green bars and the disc brakes are in operation "helps keep away the rust". At this point I am on the edge of a small market town and the speed limit is 20 mph. The engine is spinning at the halt road at the bottom of the hill and I know I could drive through the town on electric only there being another shorter downhill stretch the other side of the town. Trying to enter EV is locked out. Why?

John (Britprius)