1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

400K and still goin'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by g acrich, May 9, 2016.

1. g acrich

g acrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just joined the website while searching for my Prius issue. My baby has been taking me from Northern California to Southern California for 12 years 40K a year. 3 times a month for Fire Dept job.
    Aside from many many tires over the years, I've only needed to change the oil every 5K. I think I needed shocks/struts at about 200K and THAT'S IT.
    Oh...new odometer at 299,999. Found out that's standard by reading the blogs. I think that's how they thought to track the high miles then.
    On my very last commute to Los Angeles on my retirement week commute yesterday...Lights.Lights . Check Eng. Red Triangle. Hybrid malfunction light. Well.. I wasn't sure how much I was willing to put back into her...and how much longer she would last. Luckily only an Inverter Coolant pump. $500 with coolant and labor. Steep but better than I thought.
    So I get to drive her home one last time. 460K Good job girl!! She'll make a Half Million
    If there's a 400K club ...Sign me up.

Shane Burns, orenji, mmmodem and 5 others like this.
  2. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that pump may be covered under a recall or "service campaign" Toyota calls it.

XT1585 ?

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The one most important selling point of the Prius for me is mechanical reliability when compared to other options.

Montgomery likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats! amazing story, all the best on your way to 500k!(y)

5. g acrich

g acrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i havent picked up yet.. I'll try. Thanks

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There's a saying in the racing world that the perfect engine is one that gives 100% every lap, wins the race, and then blows up on the victory lap. Your car sounds very similar. (y)

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good going!

What kind of engine oil have you used? What's its oil consumption rate? Never changed the transmission lubricant?

8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wow - congratulations. Mine still has a long way to go at 131k.

9. g acrich

g acrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They said only up to 150K warranty not recallonly up to 150K under warranty not recall

#9 g acrich, May 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  10. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right. Service campaign, covered under warranty.

XT1585 ?

11. g acrich

g acrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ive only put 5/30 in it.. 5k to 7500 oil changes. its burning oikl now at 1 qt every 2500 miles
    Ive got another text in to my dealer. they text. it's cool...they answer all day long. last time he said up to 150K. I bought it ,because my car has 460K and i figured I'm out of any freebees. I'm still working on it. We shall see

12. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cool thanks. I found out the former owner got it replaced, but another dealer told me that the paperwork wasn't filed for the pump, so they basically told him they changed it, and didnt, so I am trying to figure out of I can still get it done. I'm at 180 in that car, so it really doesn't apply any more

XT1585 ?

13. prius_power

prius_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! Glad to hear that these Prii run for as long as they do. I just bought an 08 with 96k in January. It's just getting started! Do you know what your lifetime MPG is?

14. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow... great job!

Did you ever change the transaxle oil?
    Original 12V battery?

15. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What kind of driver are you? Are you an eco nazi sitting in the right lane at 60 mph? Or do you drive it hard? I swear with the right driver and an occasional oil change, you could almost weld the hold closed on these cars. I feel so disappointed when I have to drive a different kind of car (other than full EV). Sounds awesome though, I'd like to know when you get it to 5! My friend Jesse got his gen 2 up to 1/2 mil. miles then a truck drove into him at a stop light. Totalled the car.

XT1585 ?

16. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you checked the toyota owners site to see if it lists the Inverter coolant pump in the recalls section? Here is a link to the recall notice sent by Toyota and it doesn't mention mileage. LINK to Toyota HQ notice

Good luck! It is great to hear about these high mileage Prii.

17. g acrich

g acrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never checked the lifetime mileage, but I've always gotten 44- 46. never less

The 04-05 model doesn't have a choice of Eco and power...etc. it just drives and that's it. I drive it about 80 mph for 450 miles with 1 stop. so that is either easy miles or hard depending on how you look at it. My car seems to like it. It's a tank and responds well and as they say in the commercials...quite zippy!!!

#17 g acrich, May 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  18. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so that isn't too bad. I have cars come in with 80k and a beat battery. Take a ride with them and you know why. It's the hard stops and starts that wear out the HV battery. On the highway cruising, very little energy is exchanged from the battery, so it should last longer than say, a NYC prius taxi.

XT1585 ?

19. ga_repoman

ga_repoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    just joined and this was my first post read and answered.........clocking in at just under 200k here
    just had to replace the big battery , that repair bill stunk. but running like a champ now
    Guess i am going to drive it till the wheel fall off......i hear you can replace those

20. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome! I'm relatively new as well, but have been working and training on them since about 2003. There are a LOT of people "rebuilding" these batteries with limited and varying success. I repair my own. Dorman just started making replacements batteries, but I just had to take one out of a car that the dealer put in. It was ground faulted right from the factory. Not a good way to start a product line.

XT1585 ?