1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

42/40 tire pressure gets 47/45 in hot afternoon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gyudaddy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

I was told that I should measure or put tire air early in the morning for accuracy, so over the weekend, I got up around 7AM, ran into a local gas station and set my tire pressure 42/40. Recently, in KS, the temp has been around 100F+ and I started worrying if my tire's going to blow up, so I check the tire pressure on my tires. One tire (where sun directly hits) has about 47-48!!! :blink:

Is this okay with my tires? I have 2006 prius OEM goodyear tires.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh Geez, I hope so! I'm running 42/40 also.

Seriously, I think it's fine. I don't want to mention specific names - since Wayne G hasn't given me permission - but I know one HyperMiler who runs his tires considerably higher and hasn't noticed any ill effects or blown tires.

3. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The max pressure is 44 psi cold. The manufacturer has taken into account pressure increases due to road heat, aggressive driving, etc.

You worry too much! :)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worth while to keep an eye on this. If you've been driving on the tires and they've heated up but when cooled to ambient air temp the pressure is under 44psi I'd call that safe.

But as the temps rise it's worth while to keep an eye on the cold temps...ie. check them in the morning.

5. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Thanks guys. I feel safe now. I never had a new car and never paid attention to anything about my past cars before. Prius just gives me all kinds of motivation and hopefully I can learn more about Prius and cars.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 psi or so per ten degrees F. All accounted for in the safety
    margins designed into the tires.
    _H*

7. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, we're testing the limits today and tomorrow: 102 today, 106 tomorrow... and the forecast estimates have consistently been lower than the actual high temp. I don't think I could live in Arizona.

I'm currently running at 38/36, so the temps haven't made the ride too rough.

8. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I run 40/38 cold. It was 105+ yesterday here. You could hear the tar sticking to your tires as you drove down the road. Yuk.

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I had this concern as well. So, I set the tires at 40/38 first thing in the morning, before the Sun makes it over the trees to where the car is parked. The dew point effectively limits the temperature drop, and probably the pavement temp drop. If anyhing were to try to get colder, the dew would form on it, and the latent heat of vaporization of the water vapor condensing on the surface would raise the object's temperature back up. Lately the dew point has been around 70 F or so. This method may not work for the desert dwellers out there. So, early in the morning (before 6 am here) when you see dew on the car, the asphalt and the air, and the tires are all at about the dew point temperature. Setting the tires at this time to 40/38 PSI if the dew point is 70 F allows a maximun service "cold" temperature up to 110 F if the 1 psi/10 degreeF is right.

How to get a cold temp when the sun is out is difficult. Measuring the tires a few hours later and one side of the car (shaded side) will still be near 40/38, but the sunny side will be 42/40, when the temp is still only 75 F. The black asphalt, and tires heat up from solar gain allot more from the sun of course. While one can measure the tire rubber temperature, the air temperature inside might not have caught up with any temperature variation in the recent history of the tire. Air does not conduct heat very well.

Yesterday was an extreme event here in Chicagoland. THI was at 110 F, with the air temperature at 95 F. They let us leave work early as the AC had failed on Thursday, and the repair was not complete till overnight last night (Monday). The Prius AC did a good job saving me from heat stress. In the morning I had to pick off a bunch a tar from the left front tire on the way to work to get the car road-worthy. The tar apparently came from where oil dripping from another car had sofftened a tar crack-patch in the 95 plus weather we have had on Saturday and Sunday. After 8 PM I went back out to get the rest of the stuff off the tire. The asphalt was still at 90 F plus.

So, I think to do this tire pressure setting right, you need the surface the car is on , and the tires to be cooled to the same temp, and out of the sun. As you probably have guessed, I do not have a garage.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Cold" as it applies to tire pressures is a relative term that has nothing to do with needing a sweater. As long as you measure the pressure before you drive anywhere, that should be accurate. If it's beastly hot *and* you're loading up the car *and* you're going on a long trip, 42/40 might be pushing the margins of safety a little. But not that I've noticed so far!

11. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member