1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4kwh Enginer GenIII PHEV in UK

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Flaninacupboard, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. bit too far then, unless you regularly get jobs into leeds and can just top up every time you're there.

Sounds like what you really need is a prius phev with about 50 miles range, so you can get the best of both worlds.

2. ms15342

ms15342 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi it is the 4kw in a gen 2 original Mottcells with a non standard Mini Bms which comes from a firm in Florida and has worked perfectly since installed last May.

My warranty runs out next month but the local Prius centre don't seem bothered and have only shown interest in how the system helps increase MPG.

I think if I were using the car as a work vehicle I would also look at the "approved" version.

3. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my new BMS arrived yesterday, is intalled and..... it all works!

I charged it up and it was balancing the cells and paused charging a few times to get them in balance better. Drove to work this morning (which is typically 60mpg, has been lower in the cold weather - one tank in december was 54mpg) and achieved 79MPG. so not exactly the advertsied "50%-100% improvement" but sizeable nonetheless. my best ever tank in the height of summer was 73MPG, so i'm hoping to see that 79mpg creep into the 90's as we get warmer.

Pictures and videos to follow weather permitting. I'll stick up one showing my work commute as well, which will hopefully make the 79mpg seem a little more impressive, there's a few hills involved.

1 person likes this.
  4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't wait. Would love to know what it's like to drive in EV only if keeping under the 30 mph (displayed) limit so as to not switch EV off. How long does the enginer system keep charged up for in this way but also in combined use?

Also, do the batteries get a little better after the first 3 or 4 charges in the same way a mobile phone battery does? If so, you should get even more mpg's out of it.

5. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Woo hoo!
    Can't wait for the pics and vids!

I suppose if it went from 54mpg to 79mpg then that is almost a 50% improvement even in the cold weather...

I suppose the percentage improvement depends on terrain and driving conditions...I bet driving around town with plenty of traffic lights and stop/starts will give the Enginer more time to recharge the battery. If I remember correctly you got hills and some fast roads on your commute so the first set of figures look good.

6. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the way home tonight i did this section in all electric (not EV mode - the car was too cold for 30mph mode, and i need to go faster than 30mph anyway - but left portion of the HSI) and it's 2.6 miles long
    Lowick Rd to Ringstead Rd - Google Maps
    I went down from 6 bars to three, but at the end i was doing over 40mph. i suspect on level ground at a steady 30mph you could go 5-10 miles. if you were stopping all the time for traffic lights etc you may be able to empty the whole pack without needing the engine.

It's still too dark in the morning for a decent commute video, you can have it in a couple of weeks :D
    I'll try and get some video of me mucking about at the weekend.

I don't know if the phone effect is real, or just you play with a new phone a lot which makes it run out quickly... I don't think the enginer batteries will do this. for me now the limiting factor is not total capacity but how quickly i can get the power out (kit is limited to 14 amps max, which is 3.2kw. it would take about 75 minutes to empty the pack.) my total commute time is about 45 minutes, and 26 miles, and the pack is not empty at the end of it, with about 40% charge left. for the moment that's ok since i can't charge at work and my wife often takes the car out in the evening. however i'd like to add a second DC converter to empty the pack each day, and charging points are going to be installed at work soon.

7. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky you! Very handy.

So once you do a $ to £ conversion and add in all the extra charges (£500ish), how much did the unit cost you in the end all in? We'll ignore the time off work and travel costs in picking it up from the port...and I presume you did the install yourself?

8. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Costs:
    Deposit: £332
    Balance: £1,489
    Customs, VAT, and "other" shipping: £453
    Faulty BMS: £51

Total: £2,326.61

I did the install myself.

Considering 20% of the cost of single kits is the shipping duty etc it makes a lot of sense for someone to import a bunch at once. I don't know whether anyone could run a succesful business with the current product, but it's close.

Just as a performance update, 495 miles on the current tank at 81mpg. Looks like i'll only have to do one fillup in january which is nice :)

2 people like this.
  9. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah begins to get a bit more difficult to justify the costs from an economic point of view (payback etc) but then these cars and these types of mods are also about being a bit more "green" and almost 50% extra fuel economy in winter is great, plus further reducing your emissions and then you got the "gadget" factor which is great. Definitely worth considering.

What's the feedback from friends and family? ;-)

10. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the additional costs have made payback a challenge. It definitely doesn't make sense for fleets or someone looking for a 12 month payback. but i'm sure it won't be long till petrol is £1.50 a litre so then it'll make more sense. if i can get the kit to empty it's 4kwh on the way to work, charge at work, and empty again on the way home, i should see better MPG as well. As you say, the geek aspect is good as well, and i have spent plenty on other cars which didn't "pay back" like heated seats and spoilers and audio systems etc.

My next task is to get the DVLA to understand what i've done. Not sure if they will reduce the CO2 emission rating, i hope so, as it will only be a couple of years before we're paying road tax again otherwise.

Friends think it's mildly interesting, but don't have the money for a kit never mind a prius.

Family are bored of hearing about it! My brother in law is an electromechanical engineer at cummins diesel and in charge of their "green" projects (they have massive water dynos and load banks that dump several megawatts of power into heat during engine testing. he is designing their first regen test cell! he's also done project reducing test time which saved tens of thousands of litres of diesel a year) so my little car seems like a joke in comparison, but is also interested.

My wife is VERY bored of it! Whether i'm talking about it, thinking about it, posting here or the Enginer forum, she is fed up. She's also not keen on plugging it in herself, so i think wireless charging will be a boon for the industry in future.

11. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never thought about the DVLA...I've thought of insurance - you done anything about that?

What about the recharge plug? Did you install it into your bumper?

£1.50 a litre is so on the way.

12. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes insurance notified, they updated the policy at no charge.

Enginer did a nice set of data from the Chrysler emissions lab following the EPA UDDS cycle. it showed that in CD (charge depleting) mode the prius was outputting 45g of CO2 per kilometre compared to 83g/K on CS (charge sustaining/normal prius mode).
    http://www.enginer.us/forum/index.php?topic=321.0
    don't know if the DVLA can use the data, but getting down in the 40's would make me still able to get congestion charge for free (not that i use it) and stay at £0 road tax for a few years.

For the plug i have some blue CEE connectors (like in caravan parks) which are IP44 rated. It's going under the rear bumper on the black plastic cover thing, the wife does not want a hole in the bumper...!

13. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Flan - just read your post on a different thread....your BMS gone faulty again?

14. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, one of the fuses had come loose, it's sorted now.

Unfortunately, i think i have a defective cell. it's made of 4 parallel cells in a string of 16 series units, (so 64 in total) and i think just one of them has gone on the 16th set. i don't know if i can replace it myself or if Enginer/Realforce will need to rework it, they are getting back to me.

1 person likes this.
  15. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i cant understand ( or can i ) wy there are so many reports about bad cells..
    your getting a total new cell now within a pack thatssbuild out of older one's and thats not good iether

16. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does a hardware issue work when you are in the UK? Do you have to diagnose and confirm fault (require technical knowledge and tools) and then pay for the part to be returned overseas or do they just send you a new part?

BTW - I know that Enginer support is changing soon :)

17. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Jands, missed your question.

Yes, for DIYers you must diagnose and and confirm the fault yourself. You don't need more than a socket set and a multimeter for most things, so tools is not a big issue. -confirming- a fault is tough. only thanks to Prius_uk did i diagnose the faulty BMS, and his faulty charger. it's a bit tough. the battery fault was a little easier, after stripping it down there were obviouslty swollen cells.
    Yes, you are asked to return faulty parts, and yes, it's expensive! if you're returning the converter or batteries they are heavy...

But, onto the good news. my new battery cells arrived, and they work. Did a bit of driving around, got some petrol and zero'ed my trip meter. i will let you all know how i get on this time...

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so the faulty bms made some cells overcharge!
    you dont have to returnd those cells
    just make smoe picture inside the car and make them send you new cells and a good bms .... this is stupid!

19. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's not been a smooth ride so far. i'm hoping the teething troubles are all over...

20. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear you're up and running again :)

Thanks for the update Flan...keep us posted.