1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 toes shoes . . . keeping mine!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, May 16, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    source: Survey: 70 percent of FiveFingers owners will keep toe shoes despite lawsuit - CSMonitor.com

I learned about them in this forum and ordered my first pair via Ebay. I wore a hole in the bottoms, under the balls of my feet. The second pair lasted until the beagle chewed them and eventually my barefoot (not 5-toe runners) runner. I was able to buy the last pair of 5-toes from a local store for $45 each and ordered two more barefoot runners. I'm one of those people for whom a light-weight, shoe, providing minimum protection works which is not for everyone.

My walking and stride has returned to the 'slide' instead of the 'heel clomp'. When I was running in the Marine Corps, I ran in canvas top, deck shoes and literally ran them into rags. So the 5-toe and barefoot runners are technologically advanced versions of my old deck shoes.

Now I understand some folks can't or won't change from heel-striking strides. But by happy accident, I'm not one and prefer a 'slide' stride and the lightest possible sole.

Bob Wilson

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The sad part about this lawsuit is that nobody had taken all the big name shoe companies or the running magazines to task for all the 'benefits' they have claimed about their products for the past 40 years.

The studies that have come out recently claiming negative effects from minimalist shoes have been laughably incompetent in their method. Really? You asked people who have been running in traditional shoes their entire lives to run some tests in minimal shoes and you're surprised they got injured? It takes MONTHS if not years to adapt to not having that cushion or that heel.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Some of the studies also tested barefoot running, to remove any bias from the shoe itself. They found heel running produces fewer injuries & is also more efficient.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Like the Prius, they are not for everyone. I've had laymen 'tell me dirt' about the Prius and my five-toe shoes.

I've learned to say,"hummm," and research their statements just as I would any other gossip. Then I make a value judgement about whether or not correcting such claims from strangers or kin has any merit:
    [​IMG]
    • It can reveal symptoms of a correctable problem.
    • Sometimes it is best to let them rest in their ignorance.
    Bob Wilson

Trollbait likes this.
  5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am fairly well read in these various studies, and I have not seen one that was conducted with any reasonable amount of care that comes to anything like that conclusion. In general they take runners who have established footwear preferences and a running form based around that footwear, then ask them to change to a different style with nowhere near adequate time to adapt their bodies and their form (nor do they provide any coaching to manage the transition), find that they are less efficient and that they get injured, then conclude that minimalist shoes or barefoot running is dangerous. It's a joke of a methodology.

Trollbait likes this.