1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$5000 Transaxle assembly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MelS, Feb 27, 2012.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I posted a warranty page for my US 2009 before. Here it is again:
    [​IMG]

It does include Motor & Generator (the main components of the transaxle) in the CA emission warranty. And since the dealers are supposed to only replace the transaxle as a whole unit, not the individual motor/generator, one could argue that the transaxle should be covered.

Not sure if this info applies to the OP's issue but hope it helps someone. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess we'll never know if the OP's motor winding was defective or he could have prevented the failure with ATF change at 60k miles.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Should be hitting 30K here in a few weeks. Looks like I just added another spring break project to the list.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have just noticed the information given by Fotomoto is for a gen3 2009 Prius. In the UK the Prius guaranty for that year was a much poorer guaranty "ask Grumpy cabby" MelS car is a 2007 gen2, is the guaranty any different for the gen2.
    Again I would be taking this to something like the small claims court as given the evidence know one except Toyota would agree that the motor generators are not part of the hybrid system, and it would be cheaper for them to settle with know bad publicity than not. Bear in mind that Toyota themselves say the electric motors/generators in some states and other countries are part of the hybrid system.
    In the Guaranty shown by Fotomoto the hybrid components are not listed, the only component mentioned is the HV battery.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Other than a minor error in your analysis (the three ATF refreshes cover 240,000 miles not 180,000 miles) I agree with your financial analysis.

But if I sold insurance for auto repairs, I would require reasonable maintenance to be done or the insurance is void. Toyota does not care if the Tranny dies at 200k to 250 k miles since they treat this as indicating the "life of the vehicle" and they will not have to pay for the out-of-warranty repair - I will. My Prius deserves proper maintenance as it continues to give me good service.

JeffD

6. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The warranty fotomoto posted is California specific which offers more coverage (and I think it's Gen2, not Gen3). Still doesn't help my case as I'm over 70,000 and not in California, but great info for others.

I don't follow all the math (and agree with the 180,000 based on 60,000 changes) but it seems if you are looking at the group of Prius owners the preventive maintenance might not make sense but as an individual now with the problem, I would have liked the option of changing this fluid out to prevent part failure. Doing so was never suggested or recommended and I don't think if you buy a car new and maintain it through the dealer you should have to do a lot of sleuthing to figure out that they don't know their product as well as others do. Live and learn. I miss my dad RIP he was a mechanical engineer and helped me out with this kind of stuff.

I'm waiting to see if the dealer has any success with Toyota. If not, I'm going to look to trade-in at a value that clears what is owed ($1600) and then some and take on a new car payment on a vehicle still under warranty. I hate to do it because I'm seriously disappointed and don't feel like owning this car anymore, but it's the most cost economic option that gives me the most reliable car. I just can't see plunking down $5grand for a car I have no faith in. I'm 2000 miles away from the hybrid component warranty expiring so I can just imagine what's next to blow. Mostly, though, I cannot shake how awful it was to have absolutely no warning whatsoever and be stranded far away from home in the middle of nowhere on a dark night on the side of the expressway.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fotomoto's guaranty was for Texas but for a gen3 2009 Wimpy's guaranty was for California and you have 20,000 miles left on your guaranty not 2000, but it is the wording of the guaranty that you should be challenging as it is obviously misleading, and vague also not consistant.
    If you look at Wimpy's guaranty for California at the small print below the red arrows it says "8years or 100,000miles" but in California it is 10years 150,000miles

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MelS, I'm really sorry to hear about your car's failure. As you stated, you..
    purchased the car new in July '07, it's now 4 yrs 5 months old
    had it maintained by Toyota on schedule

Car dies, leaves you stranded at night at 79k miles
    Toyota states it needs a $5k transaxle replace at your cost..

that transaxle might have a 1 year warranty after repair.

What did you do wrong to warrant a $5k repair on such a young car? Nothing.

I suppose Toyota has a program 'Toyota Extra Care' that might have covered this, to what, 100k miles? They don't require an ATF change before then, so a transaxle could fail at 110k miles. Then customer would be out cost of extra care and the $5k.

I think Toyota needs to eat a bunch on this, figure out why this occurs and modify the service and / or warranty schedule.

$5k out of pocket in your case is ridiculous. Actually half that would still be ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  9. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I stand corrected about post attribution and the remaining time on the warranty, thanks for pointing that out.
    Even with all of the different wordings, I don't think there is an individual case here for anything legally. Toyota is not doing anything illegal, even if they are considering the parts under different warranties in different places. But as a consumer they have failed to generate any loyalty in me because I don't feel they have held up their end of things. They have not offered a superior product (all my other cars have lasted much longer and for less maintenance cost) nor have they helped me out financially when the product failed to deliver. Right now they can probably afford to behave like that because the Prius is still a hot car as each generation offers new things and the technology progresses.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the case closed with the dealer and Toyota Corporate?

11. MelS

MelS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks cycledrum.

I just got a call from the dealer. They got nowhere with Toyota but put pressure on the district manager to help out by stating just what you did above. I followed the maintenance schedule completely, took care of my car, and the failure was not due to anything owner related and I was pretty inconvenienced by the breakdown. The dm caved a bit and they will now cover the part cost ($3468) and I have to pay labor ($1468), taxes ($320), and the tow ($250)= $2038. Funny how that feels so much better because I was looking at $5000 but it's still a costly repair in my book.
    I shared what I've learned in the forum with the service guy about changing the fluid earlier than the recommendation and he explained how there are things like this that the dealers know about but if they start upping the maintenance then customers complain that they are getting taken. I can see that. Puts them in a tough spot. Toyota needs to step up.

I asked them to catch a sample of the fluid for me because I'm curious and may pay the $25 to have it analyzed.

Mixed feelings but at least the dealer, if not the manufacturer, has my back. See how the further you are removed from your customer the more you can ignore that there is a human being there?

1 person likes this.
  12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MelS,
    It is possible that the tranny fluid itself is causing your short. Here's what I would do If I were in your shoes.

If possible, just have the dealer change the tranny fluid, reset the codes and see what happens. I know this may be a waste of money but it might be a gamble that pays off.

My reasoning for this is the following: The tranny will give off small particles of metal from the gears and other components. If this is allowed to saturate the fluid, it may cause the fluid to become conductive (causing a short). To account for this, there is a magnet on the bottom of the tranny which is supposed to catch all the particles. If the magnet is not in place (manufacturing error maybe), it could cause the problem.

This is something to think about. I'm not an expert but, I am a thinker and this is just my thought (and what I would do). I highly recommend running this by Seilerts and Patrick Wong (who are experts).

Not having a tranny fluid replacement interval in the maintenance schedule is a fatal error (imo) on the part of Toyota's maintenance engineers. They do a lot of good stuff but we all make mistakes.

Pls run this by Patrick or Seilerts (or other competent authority) as it may be too late (the tranny too far gone) to try this.

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I should have mentioned that the 7 year 70K mile coverage is for PA and WA only. For other states adopting the CA emission standard it's 10 years 150K miles IIRC. And for US models 2009 is gen 2, not gen 3. Europe may be different.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MelS, still a tough pill to take at $2k, but much better than before. It's good to know JeffD is up to 219k miles on original transaxle. Don't mean to muddy this with 'how long has JeffD's hybrid battery lasted', but I'm sure hybrid battery is part of what you're weighing too.

1 person likes this.
  15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Here is one luck guy who got free replacement under CARB warranty:

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    MelS good to know Toyota are pitching in but I can understand it still leaves a bad taste. I suppose we should all look more closely at the fine print when we buy, but I suppose some manufacturers will always have devious ways of misleading customers.

1 person likes this.
  17. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would think that if there is a problem with fluid, either new or old, being in contact with the windings, then the conformal coating has been compromised. That will continue to be a problem.

I just changed my ATF, at 35K miles, and it was already pretty dark, and there was a good fuzz of particles on the magnet, as shown in other posts. It feels good to get that stuff out of there. I will be curious to check it again in 10K miles to see how it has changed. I live in a hilly place, so the hybrid system gets a real work out.

2 people like this.
  18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My HV battery died at 195k miles. I put in a ReInVolt for $1600 and $400 for installation. My old battery had 27 of 28 good modules which I balanced and sold to 5 people to successfully fix their HV batteries getting back over $600. Next time (not for a while) I'll get a salvaged battery and fix it up (test and re-balance all 28 modules) as a replacement for less than $1000 installed.

JeffD

3 people like this.
  19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to look at the footnote and see which items are marked with that footnote. The "motor" and "generator" do not have the footnote, therefore they are covered under a shorter warranty period. In any event that warranty does not apply to the OP.

Since it is clear that the OP's transaxle failure is not covered under the relevant US Toyota warranty (it doesn't matter what the California or UK warranty is, or what the warranty might be elsewhere in the world), and he has already tried unsuccessfully to get relief via the Toyota Customer Care center, then his options are:

1) pay $5K at the Toyota dealer
    2) find an independent who can install a salvage transaxle from a low mileage wrecked 2G vehicle, or
    3) get rid of the car at a low price since it is not working.

I personally would pursue #2.

3 people like this.
  20. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. Got my '07's transaxle fluid drained and refilled at 40,000 miles. I figure that during the breaking-in period is when the majority of the metal filings from the gears will accumulate in the fluid.

Once the gears have worn in, I think the amount of metal filings will decrease. I'm going to do another WS fluid drain-and-refill at 100,000 miles, and hopefully there will be less metal filings on the magnet this time around.

Hoping my '07 will last till at least 2017. :)