1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000K HID - Information, Installation, and finished product pictures and video.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LulzChicken, Jul 20, 2010.

1. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey there everyone. I'd like to share my 5000K HID kit install experience from DDM Tuning.
    Information:
    First off. I did a LOT of research before deciding on which kit to buy, where from, and what color type. I decided to go with 5000K because it is the right color to get that "diamond white" color. It doesn't look fake or cheap. It looks quite elegant. Not to mention it has GREAT light output. DDM Tuning is a reputable company. They fell into a hole a while back just because they got bombarded with shipments. However, they are back on top of their game and I got my kit and replacement lights within a week from ordering (They are located in CA and I'm in AL). Plus, they have a lifetime warranty on their ballasts and lights. Check them out Here(HID KIT, SLIM) and Here(HID Replacement Bulbs).

If you have more questions about HID's check out this excellent HID Headlight FAQ and Installation page

If you are unsure as to which bulb type you need to choose, you can look at a lamp replacement guide. The 2010 Prius uses the H11 bulbs.

Installation:
    Alright, now that you have everything you need. Lets get started on with the installation.

This is what you are going to see in the HID Kit you receive:
    [​IMG]

Pictured above is 2 of the HID bulbs, and 2 ballasts. It is ALL simple plug and play installation. It is VERY simple. I'm not going to get into the specifics of the install MYSELF. Here is a guide from DDM tuning for the H11 bulbs.

A quick NOTE: I struggled for about 30 minutes trying to get the bulbs into my housing because of this crap so LISTEN UP. The bulbs will originally come like THIS:

[​IMG]
    Do you see the difference of the location of the red washer on the stock and HID bulb? I do. MOVE THE RED WASHER DOWN LOWER ON THE HID BULB TO THE SECOND GAP like the stock one is or else it will not turn and secure into the housing and you will be cussing up a hurricane like me. :D

Alright - continuing on with the installation - the right side needs no explanation. Just follow the guide. However - for the passenger side you may want to take the bolt off that secures the air intake for the engine - it will make things much easier.

I'll show you where I mounted my ballasts - I went out to walmart and bought some VELCROW to secure the ballasts in the locations shown in the pictures below:
    [​IMG]
    --
    [​IMG]

See? Not so hard was it?!

Finished:
    Alright, now that we are done - lets look at a few pictures/videos to see what it SHOULD look like.

Against a semi-white wall

[​IMG]

--
    [​IMG]
    --
    Youtube Video (sorry I lost focus at the end!!)

Alright, that sure was quite a read. I'll be sure to update this with more information if I left something out. I hope all of you decide to upgrade to HID because they are awesome! If you have ANY questions, comments, or concerns don't be afraid to ask me through a PM or post a reply to this thread and I'll do my best I can to answer them.

PS: I'm 18 years old. If I can do this, you can too :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed you stuck it to the padded black piece of plastic. If you remove it, do you think youll be able to remove the adhesive without pulling off the padding? Im waiting on my kit and I'm trying to find a good place where I can remove it easily since its a lease.

I was thinking way back near the strut mounts directly onto the metal, but I do not know if the wires will reach that far. The place where you put it is the most obvious spot, but that black piece of plastic also doesnt seem like itd be secure enough with the weight of the ballast on it.

3. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I actually tried to do that - and I did end up pulling off some of the padding. I'm not too worried about the padding anyway. I'm not even sure what it's there for. On the passenger side - I would mount it right below the padding right between the liquid reservoir the metal of the car. If you're not sure what I'm talking about I'll show you a picture. You just have to play around and find a good spot.

I don't think the wires will reach that far (without putting stress on them). I believe the black padding is just about as far as they will go. It's actually secure believe it or not - even though I did pull off some padding.. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Where I would mount it if I were you: http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2871/img0875x.jpg

For the drivers side - I'll have to look around. I an assure you that you'll find a good spot. Just do some looking around.

4. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    18? good for you congrats

if these fail
    Buy these instead they are best Xetronic Digital G2 Lighting System - H4 Type

5. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice job man. I don't have slim fit ballasts so mine had enough length to be zip tied under the wiper cowl. I'll be taking my bumper off in the next week or so though so that I can remount them on the bumper support so they get a bit more airflow.

BTW, I'm 19 haha. Glad to know there are a few other guys my age on here.

6. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They come with a heafty price tag aswell.. :eek:
    Ahh I wish I could have put mine in a more "open" area. My ballasts get pretty hot to the touch sometimes. Nothing to WORRY about - but they do get warm. I assume they are made to withstand heat though - considering they are MEANT to be mounted in the engine bay. 19 eh? Awesome man!

7. anonymoususer

anonymoususer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice work bro. You mind doing a beam pattern shot... straight on about 6 ft away from a flat white wall.

8. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah just be careful because if they get too hot, the ballasts will slowly shift to a more blue hue. Also I think the screen covers a vent into the engine bay so hopefully your ballasts don't overheat.

9. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh really? I didn't know about them going into more of a blue hue when they got too warm. That's interesting. I think as long as I am moving - they should get sufficient airflow. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? Do you mean the screen that I mounted them to?

10. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^ Yeah I think the screen should allow some airflow over your ballasts so you hopefully don't overheat them.

11. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright, got it. Sounds good. Thanks!

12. VolkCelicaGTS

VolkCelicaGTS New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great post! This should be sticked somewhere, as it's very useful information for non-HID Prius owners.

- Dan

13. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III

14. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

1 person likes this.
  15. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

16. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III

17. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

18. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ahh sorry I forgot to mention that. I went with the 35 watt. The 55 would be overkill in my opinion.

Great! Will be ordering mine shortly. Thanks for the info.

19. LulzChicken

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome! Be sure to post some pictures with the end results. You'll love em!:cool:

20. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Installed mine today....or rather tried to.

I had the same kit as the OP, within minutes one of the bulbs started to flicker and went out. Turns out one of the ballasts is dead. Now for the joy of returning something to an ebay seller.

I really cant recommend that kit. The ballast may be very small and slim, but in line with it is a little power brick, and some really hard to bend wires. I found it nearly impossible to secure to my liking. The last hid kit I used didnt have one of those silly power bricks, and even though it was bigger, it was much easier to mount.

I tried mounting the ballast near the strut, but the thick wires ripped it off almost immediately when I tried to mount the little brick. I tried mounting it on the little black plastic fabric thing, but it just wouldnt stick. I would highly recommend the OP double check that its actually going to be secure long term there.

In the end the only thing I could do was mount it upside down where the OP has the little brick, and zip tie everything to hell so in case anything came loose it wouldnt go flying around the engine bay.

And the thing died after all that work securing it in 90 degree weather.

So yeah, its cheap, its slim, but its also a POS kit. Best of luck to the OP and anyone else that has the same kit though.