1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

55+ MPG!

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by EZW1, Feb 11, 2016.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Love the temps we're having here right now. Average highs are 75-85 and with that I don't have to run the AC or Heat. Consequently, I'm getting over 55MPG again!
    When summer gets here and I have to run AC it will drop to about 48MPG, but enjoying the mileage now.

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That is amazing mpg. Congrats knowing you are well over the rated mpg (y)

We can't seem to average more than 35+\- mpg in our 2014 v...:unsure: Granted we are in the dead of winter here now And my wife just drives it as a normal car, no special techniques plus an under 10 mile commute = above.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I drive mine with only slightly over inflated tires, in ECO, around the speed limit, most trips are short, with no special techniques beyond common sense traffic awareness of its limited acceleration, in a hilly area, dead of winter (20F-30Fs), with cruise control on all long trips seldom looking at the economy gauges and still get 41+ over the life of the car. What can your wife be doing Blizzard that is so different?

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One woman's short trip is another's long trip. Too many variables here, but I get less than 40mpg in the heart of the congested parts city of Chicago in the Winter. 50+ on the highway. Trips less than a mile, in the dead of winter, really take a toll on mpg.

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Summer update: Now that the heat is on and I'm using the AC on every trip, my mileage has dropped to a consistent 48mpg. Sometimes I can 'push' it up to 50mpg, but it drops back to 48mpg rather quickly. Seems the power train is most comfortable when outside temps are in the 60s and 70s. I might get bold one of these days and try a trip without the AC to determine if my drop in mileage is solely due to the greater electrical load on the HV battery, but I suspect I'll find outside temps are a big factor. Granted, my technique is not very scientific, but fun nonetheless. I'll post my findings.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's great mileage on a v, nonetheless. well done!(y)

7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks. To update as promised, my drop in mileage is indeed due to use of ac. I drove the same rout withour
    t ac and was able to get 51mpg.

I would like to report something new: it seems the hybrid control system tends to follow averages for a while.. at least thats how i can label it. You see, prior to making a trip from AZ to CA a few weeks back, I was getting consistent 50-52mpg.
    During the trip where I was driving 80mph most of the way, my mpg dropped to 41 and it seemed I couldnt get it any higher. When I got home I was getting consisrent 46-48mpg. Then, after a hundred miles back in town, I was getting 49-50mpg. Now I am still getting 49mpg considering our heat wave. So it appears my trip set some kind of trend for the hybrid control system until I drove a hundred miles or so at lower speeds then my mpg went back up! Interesting!

bisco likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You seem to be following the on dash display to report miles per gallon. It is notoriously unreliable (it over reports) and only if you are using extreme driving tactics (which should PO those on the same road) should you ever get even 42 MPG at 80 or 55 at 70.

Not to mention fuel shut offs vary with each nozzle and the angle it is inserted.

I've gotten 30+ and 70+ on successive tanks.

Use something like fuelly (or a spreadsheet) and measure over several tanks worth.

The v is a fine car, just not 55 MPG in normal conditions on average (again, see fuelly).

Coach likes this.
  9. Pedal Logic

Pedal Logic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi EZW1,

Would you be interested in beta testing a new technology to extend range even further? Offer is open to others on this thread as well. We're looking for about a half dozen Prius owners to test a new technology -- pedal signal correction -- on personal vehicles with very well known historical mileage.

The technology will be "new" for consumers--we're shipping later this year--but has been in development for about four years and tested on a wide range of platforms, ranging from combat vehicles to municipal buses. We've also done both closed course and open road testing with passenger-car manufacturers.

In open-road Prius testing to date, it generally produces an increase of 2-5 MPG, depending on the make/model of the vehicle and which mode is used on our device. These numbers are on top of gains by the Prius' built-in ECO-mode.

I'll post more in this thread if people are interested, but didn't want to hijack--apologies if I have! :)

Marc

10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll give it a try. 2005.