1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6 Speakers, PoweredSub, and Ext. Amp in my C1...

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Jacob Wilson, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jacob Wilson

Jacob Wilson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey guys, I'm a bonafide audionoob with questions.

My end goal is to have 6 quality speakers and a powered sub in the back. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the HU, but that's very longterm.

Most threads have recommended using the Alpine KTP-445u as an upgrade to the stock's pre-amp.
    I'll be adding Alpine SPR60 and SPR-60c speakers powered by the 445u.

Later on, I'd also like to add a small powered sub.

Since, the powered sub has an internal amp, it would be connected directly to the receiver and bypass the 445u? Or would I need a 5 channel power pack instead of the 445u?

If I decide to upgrade the HU later on will this make the 445u useless? Assuming the new HU has a better pre-amp than my stock?

In sum, I guess, I just want to know if this system is possible, and if later down the road I add the powered sub, and then even later down the road I add a new HU, the parts a bought previously won't be rendered useless.

Thanks in advance.

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    if you get a powered sub like one of these
    Powered Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com
    then you would connect the sub directly to the output of the HU bypassing the 445u.

an amp will always give you more power than mostly, if not all HUs. you can always simply get a slightly more expensive amp now that way you can fully feed your speakers full power.

getting a 5 channel amp will only give you the ability to have less wires running to the sub. because if you do get a powered sub then you will need to run positive, negative, turn on signal, and audio wires to the amp aswell as the sub.

3. Jacob Wilson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I guess I don't understand the idea of what channels do. But also, to your last point, wouldn't I be bypassing the amp anyway?

Thanks so much for your response.

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    not sure what you mean. if you get the 445u, you will have to run positive, negative, turn on signal, and 2 audio wires to the powered sub. here you would be bypassing the 445u unit.

if you get a 5 channel sub instead of the 455u, you can buy a normal enclosed sub and only have to run 2 audio wires instead of the all the other wires. here you would run all the wires to the amp first then only 2 wire extra to the sub.

when an amp has 4 channels, it is basically saying it has 4 independent outputs [front right, front left, rear right, rear left]. when an amp has 5 channels it has 5 independent outputs [front right, front left, rear right, rear left and then a single powerful output for a sub.]

in your "powered sub" you are basically buying a sub. that is enclosed in a box with the amp. so if you do the 445u setup with sub. you will be running 2 amps in theory. the 445u for the speakers and a mono sub amp.

if you get a 5 channel amp, you will only be running 1 amp and less wires. but price going from a 4 channel to 5 channel drastically increases. i personally love using crutchfield website to buy car audio stuff. great service and good prices.

also, you plan to really add some kick to the sub then you might want to stick with a 2 amp setup because a 1 amp 5 channel amp will always have limited amount of power to the sub whereas compared to the 2 amp setup you can have a totally seperate amp for the sub that will give out anywhere from 300 to 1200w.

5. Jacob Wilson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Again. Thanks for this response.

How crazy is a two amp setup going to draw power from the battery?
    I understand the harder I push the amp the quicker it will deplete, but will there be a noticeable difference between having a separate amp for the sub and having no sub at all?

6. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    well, what are you really looking for when it comes to sound? if i was in your shoes, i would first get the 445u unit with 4 new speakers and see how good they sound. after upgrading you might not even want to get a sub.

you could get a 1200w amp and sub but if you run it at low power/bass then it won't hurt your battery that much. honestly i have never worried about draining my battery, because most of the time when im in the car, the car is on. but if you do plan on getting two amps, i suggest getting a capacitor installed too.

what i plan on doing to my C1 is to install top end rear speakers with a 3 channel amp. the amp will also have a sub out which i will be able to add at a later time easily. but in your case you would get a 5 channel amp with the ability to buy any sub and just run 2 wires from your amp to the sub.

like you stated, the harder you push the amp, the more power it will take. installing a capacitor will help ease the battery depletion but not by a lot tho. of course running 2 amps will drain more power than 1 amp. but it all depends what you want to hear. if you just simply want to add some kick to your sound then maybe even top end 3 way speakers or if you are good at wiring then component speakers might be good for you too. i would personally add component speakers to the front doors and 3 way to the rear doors followed by a 5 channel amp if i was you.

hope this jibber jabber makes sense.

7. Jacob Wilson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It all made sense until the end. Sort of.

I'm set on a powered sub over an acoustic one for space saving. My initial plan was to hook up Alpine SPR-60 and SPR-60c speakers to the 445u. If that doesn't satisfy the bass, to then run a powered sub under the seat. I don't need something that wakes up the neighbors, just something substantial and quality. The speakers may be enough, but if they aren't, I don't want a speaker system that is incompatible with a sub--which it sounds like it isn't.

I want to fill out the bass and add some kick, so running 2 amps probably won't be a problem for the battery.

So, 3-way speakers in the back will pump more sound than 2-way, thus, the bass from the 3-way may be substantial enough for me?

8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ok, i understand. i think your plan is solid. getting the 445u with 4 new speakers is the first step. most likely youll want to add some more kick and then attach a powered sub. that shouldnt be a problem for the battery at all unless you plan on putting the car in ACC mode and just blasting the volume. i think you should get the speakers and amp first. fiddle around with the settings and see if you still feel like you are missing something.

i can tell you that having 3 way speakers in the rear with an amp is really getting the best bang for the buck. but many others will also say that the sound that comes from the rear is more for filling the void rather than actually producing good sound. so its up to you. instead of getting 2 way speakers, spend some extra money and get 3 ways? why not.

also take the extra precaution and get a Capacitor along with good quality wires. get a cheap capacitor like this one
    T-Spec Capacitor 3.0-Farad cannister-style capacitor with red LCD meter at Crutchfield.com

9. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    not necessarily; i have these (amplified by alpine pdx-v9) in my rear doors and i am extremely impressed [w the bass] considering the price: Image Dynamics CTX-65 (CTX 65) 6.5" 2-Way CTX Coaxial Car Speakers

even w the crossover at 100 hz by 6 db/oct, the bass is substantial.

i am using an aftermarket head unit, i can't speak on the stock head unit.

10. los panda

los panda Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  11. Jacob Wilson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    When placing a sub under the seat, I want to run a remote control to the dash.

Is there a kit that fits in those little squares to the left of the wheel where the dash dimmer is? I've seen it on an older Prius.

I can mount an aftermarket one from Crutchfield or something, but if there one that fits that little square that'd be great.

12. The Mouth

The Mouth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Jacob,
    Is your system done? If so could you post some pictures and or a video of what it sound like please. Curious to hear your input on the final results. Also Cost for supplies.
    Thanks,
    Mike

13. Jacob Wilson

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Never got to it man. Other costs and bills came up and I've had to postpone the project.

14. The Mouth

The Mouth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to hear that. Thanks!