1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7075 billet aluminum "trick" low profile shift knob......ch and development, I'm made a small batch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    After over 18 months of research, I've made a small batch of highly polished 7075-T751 "ultra-super duralumin alloy.

7075 is the hardest and strongest aluminum alloy used in the aerospace industry. It feels and wears different than ay other aluminum alloy that you may have been familiar with. It has the hardness feel of 304 or 18-8 stainless steel and the luster of sterling silver when highly polished. It retains it's polished finish for years. And, it can be easily repolished with standard aluminum wheel polish. Unlike anodized aluminum, when scratched, it does not look ugly and worn when the aluminum underneath is revealed.

This is the alloy used for the frames of M16 rifles, SIG and Beretta pistol frames.

It was developed in Japan by Sumitomo in 1936 and was the main component of the frames of the legendary Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft.

In order to get this project right, having only a Prius"v," I acquired shifters and shift knobs for Gen II, Gen III Prius modes, as well as the highly touted Razo LS137, which I found, too high or too far out for my liking.

On the Gen III shifter, this knob allows easier access to the EV, ECO and PWR MODE switches.

Attached Files:

2. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know.... sounds like this aluminum might not be strong enough.

Aerospace technology, pffft! If & when I replace my plastic factory shift knob, I'm thinking of one made of HY120 titanium or HY150 titanium. If it's good enough for Russian submarines, it should work for me.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Made one of them out of titanium, too.