1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

85 mile commute + local driving - Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RichardLUK, Jun 30, 2014.

1. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    First post and seeking advice from real (non salesmen :)

I'm seriously thinking about a Hybrid but not quite sure yet.

I currently drive an Audi A5 CVT transmission - so well into the relaxed/gear-less style of driving & an area I want to continue. I love the style of driving on a CVT (CVT equivalent), working on minimising brake use and planning road position rather than worrying about gears. She does about 45mpg average on Diesel.

Great car; but - drinks juice, expensive to service, expensive rubber

I do like a little more spirited country drives now and again.

Driving typical:
    20K+ a year in all.
    I have an 85 mile round trip commute, 20 minutes of through town on the school run stop/start followed by 40-50 minutes of motorway - but the worst bits of UK motorway around the M25, so stretches of 70mph, followed by stop/start 0-50mph, and then 10 minutes of urban again at the other end.

Mostly single occupant drives, weekend and once a year would be full load 4 occupant holiday drives, long distance 500 miles + across UK/Europe etc.

Request:
    Can anyone give an opinion - does Hybrid work in this mixed scenario?
    Is the ICE going to be running so much on the long stretches of motorway to make it no better than diesel.

Many thanks for any insight/thoughts.

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Relatively new Prius Plug In owner here. The Prius will fit just about any scenario. Reliable and cheap to operate. Might want remove the word "spirited" from your driving experience. While the Prius is very popular, it's not for everyone. My wife and I recently sold our eight year old 2006 NewBeetle diesel. The regular Prius Hybrid gets much better fuel mileage and is cheaper to operate. While the ICE will operate most of the time, it's a fuel miser.

3. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    +1. And using advice here on PriusChat, you CAN modify the Prius to add some "spiritedness" in the suspension department, although not in the power department. Additionally, you'll simply not believe how much stuff a Prius can fit and carry. Best of Luck on your choice!

4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my 2010 Prius for just that sort of commute here in the land of the real Ashes team. I drive a mixture of gravel country roads,
    freeway and city back streets. Beyond an injector failure at 6000 KMs, repaired under warranty, I have not had an ounce of trouble and have just passed 200,000 kms without even a brake pad change. Sitting in a stalled peak hour commute is peaceful when your ICE is silent and you can actually hear the radio while others are drumming their fingers and lane hopping. I don't pretend the Prius is as sporty as the Audi but it can easily zoom along at 70 mph and still have enough grunt for overtaking. I only need to drive down to Melbourne once a week now but I still enjoy the journey and the amenity of the Prius technology.(y)

5. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for these replies;
    I think I'll have to try and arrange a long test drive in one to see...

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your situation is similar to mine. I previously had a Toyota Corolla, which averaged 25-30 mpg in the city, and up to 40 mpg on the highway. When I switched to the Prius, my fuel costs were halved immediately. I am routinely averaging 65-70 mpg, both in city and highway driving.

My Prius is a Plug-in, which gives me the additional equivalent benefit of 10-12 miles of EV range. If you can get power for free at work, it's like an extra quart of free fuel. If you pay for it at home, it's worth roughly half of that, depending on your rates.

7. ALMAL

ALMAL New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had my years with BMW and Mercedes, best car for luxury, suspension, and others, cost of repairs are outrageous. The Prius does not sound solid as what brands I have mentioned. The Prius is great commuter car and around town. If you want to stick to the European cars look at the Volkswagen Passat diesel. I heard it can get over 75o miles per gas tank.

8. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I commute 80 miles per day, very silmilar roads/traffic situation.
    The Prius does just fine at highway speed. If you need to cruise fast it is perfectly capable of that also.
    The Prius replaced a 09 Corvette as a daily driver which was getting 23mpg on the commute. The Prius is getting around 49 so far:).
    Go to EPA website and compare vehicle fuel consumption.

9. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We just bought our first Hybrid car, a Prius opt. pack 3. We were total Honda fans, for 20 years, but ran into problems with the 2010 Accord, so we sold it to buy a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4L turbo. 1.4L was stated to get 40 mpg, and we saw 39 mpg once, otherwise it was in the 22-26 mpg range all the time due to constantly being in the turbo to get over our coastal hills. I considered diesel's when looking for the next car, but decided the high price for diesel fuel, and car (here in US) as a road block. Plus I have two friends with VW diesel's and both say they do get the good mpg, but the car is in the shop way too often with problems, and the body has more rattles than they can count. They also said "sure, it gets the mpg, and the motor will last a real long time, if you can put up with the rest of the car falling apart around you!" I wanted something with a rock solid track record, few repairs, and good MPG. So far, our Prius has been all of that!

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are several people on this forum from the UK.
    I can't speak to the disadvantages in interior appointments in the Prius versus an Audi, but even if gas were as inexpensive there as it is here, you couldn't help but save significant amounts of money in the Prius.
    Gasoline here is less than $1 a litre, and it's still no contest at all.

The Prius is cheaper by far to operate.

Good Luck!

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check out this website: Prius vs. A5 / S5 Reliability

12. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Touch wood the A5 has been very good for me - just steep to run.

Thanks for the above advice,

I now have a slightly longer 1 hour or so test drive booked for Friday so I'll try one out on some local routes town/motorway driving. If I work out how to reset the trip meter I'll reset it and do a direct comparison (granted all cars trip meters are different and optimistic, but at least it will be a guide)

13. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just back from my test drive;

Interesting car, certainly able on the motorway/freeway and fine around town.

It does 'feel' like the acceleration is slow from stationary, but I suspect thats partly because I was obsessing about keeping the ICE off and the green bar on the left hand side. i.e. when I put my foot down it did shift - I just didn't want to put my foot down ! It kept up with town and motorway traffic and no problems accelerating 50-70 on the motorway; I couldn't hear the ICE stopping/cutting in apart from when starting from stationary.

Certainly big enough to have a motorway presence.

My mixed drive over an hour of around 30 miles returned 67mpg indicated (UK gallons)

Do like the tech feel in the cabin, multi layered glass readouts and HUD etc. Certainly a spacious car - it feels like there is more room inside than my A5. Odd furry/velour type fabric on the UK model armrest and doors - not sure how long that would last.

Certainly an option;
    (I know you all know the above :) - humour me - I just wanted to report back and write up a little)

If the new model which is meant to be late 2015 turns up early after buying the current one I will not be happy

ftl likes this.
  14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the report. It's nice to get a considered and independent review. At least if you did buy it you should have a relatively recent model for trade in on the gen IV. ;)

15. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Model age, having the latest - for me anyway, is the sort of thing you stress over when buying, then doesn't matter at all once you own the vehicle

The buying process is so focused on models/features/showrooms, but once its bought the whole viewpoint changes.

ibmoses likes this.
  16. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I was lucky small town, one dealer, demo model with 5000kms $12,000 below full price. Easy decision. Great car, glad I bought it. Might buy gen 5.

NuttyKat likes this.
  17. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    T4 vs T-Spirit

I have, what I believe to be a good deal on a new Prius - but still need to make the call between T4 and T-Spirit.
    Both with half leather seats.

I know spec levels are different globally, but roughly the difference on UK spec being T-S has as extra:
    1. LED Headlights with automatic on/off
    2. Auto dimming mirror
    3. Water repellant glass
    4. Touch & Go Navigation (the standard one)

The Navigation is marginal for me since I need my TomTomGo with HD Traffic.

Question:
    Can anyone give an opinion on the LED headlights - are they much better (or just different) from the standard ones?

Cheers

18. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Definitely better. Not yet as bright as HID. If you want to save some money and go for the stock halogens, there are good after market solutions such as HID or 3rd gen LED.

19. RichardLUK

RichardLUK New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well; its ordered, about week or so to wait with luck

Should be just time to run it in before off to holiday in Wales - that will be a good test of long motorway drives followed by hills.

Nothing to do now but read the forums and owners manual... twiddles thumbs...

Feri likes this.
  20. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! I have a T4 (gen2) and when I change I'll be going for the T-Spirit so that i have all the extras. Saying that, I'll be buying a 2/3 yr old used Gen 3 model. When you get used to driving it (takes a few months), you'll see 60+ mpg with the commute that you have .