1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A 1000mi tank club proposal

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Aug 12, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The problems with a 1,000 mile tank club:
    • Prius c - the 9.5 gallon tank means 99.9 MPG is minimum for a single tank
    • Prius hatchback - running out of fuel is a little tricky because there is no check engine light
    • Gen II - between the bladder, 11.6-11.9 gallons, and fear of fuel exhaustion, high anxiety
    • Gen I - yea, so who else?
    • Prius v - perhaps not their game unless with give them a handicap . . . ratio of useful loads
    So I'm thinking 1,000 miles ranked by the fuel burned, (indicated miles / indicated MPG), using golf scoring (i.e., lowest is bestest.) We don't care how many times the car was refueled as it is a calculated fuel consumption from the trip meter:
    • 1000 miles indicated on trip meter or 1609 km
    • fuel_burned = indicated_miles / indicated_miles_gallon :: L/100 km * km :: expressed in USA gallons/liters/Imperial gallons
    • average speed, measured if available, estimated otherwise
    • ranking is by least amount of fuel burned to reach 1,000 miles / 1609 km
    • tie fuel burn -> highest average velocity is ranked better
    The only problem with this scoring is the 99.9 MPG limit on USA models. However, this might be resolved if the L/100 km display provides a larger metric.

The best thing is we don't care about fuel tank capacity or fear from running out of fuel. Everything is driven by the measured fuel burn as calculated from the fuel burn rate and distance covered. You just have to meet the minimum distance.

So what is the prize? - - - We'll call it the 'sore butt club' . . . possibly with rankings:
    1. Sphincter Deity
    2. Depends Dolly
    3. Hemorrhoidal Hermes
    4. Bladder Bragard
    Ok, maybe not the best titles but fitting for the effort.

So,
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Initial and final (geographic) elevations. A contestant beginning in Leadville, CO has a good deal more energy on board than... gosh I can't think of a below-sea-level fuel stop... Furnace Creek in Death Valley?

fuzzy1 and bwilson4web like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were still commuting to work, I'd make a serious try at this game. But at this time, there is little chance of me being able to find 1000 consecutive miles of competitive conditions uninterrupted by some need for a full speed interstate trip or use of the drag-inducing external bike rack.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What! WHAT! You have a life????

Bob Wilson

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :( Yes, I know that it is blasphemy to the true believers in the engineering community. But I've been gradually shifting over to the other side, and am enjoying it too much to return full time.

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's good for everyone to see how far they can go on a tank of gas. I have concerns that doing this often risks damage to the fuel pump. Still, trying it a few times is a good exercise to improve driving habits. :)

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh I don't know. I've been hot roddin' the Prius lately . . . <shrug>.

But now I understand in San Francisco, Prius owners no long have to pay attention to cross-walks. We've been declared a pedestrian hazard:
    Source: Shame on the Rich | Science/AAAS | News

I wonder if Piff is related to George Zimmerman, just another self-appointed traffic cop.

HEY Toyota! Get a clue!!

Make the advanced technology package with collision avoidance an option for all Prius, not just the expensive ones!

Bob Wilson