1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A/C not working enough on hot days/colder on passenger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toast, May 24, 2014.

1. Toast

Toast New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have a 07 prius, who's A/C has never quite worked as well as it should. If its a moderate day out- it has no problem, air coming through A/C is nice and cold- however if it is hot outside and the car runs for more then about 30-60 minutes the A/C starts to tire out. It feels like the air does not blow as hard, and the air is not nearly as cold (my brother has a similar prius with none of the same issues and he can make it too cold in his car when I will be driving on the same day and wanting to open the windows during 95 degree heat cause the a/c just isnt doing it.

The other thing it does- is the car is colder on the passenger side then the driver- the air is at least 10-15 degrees colder from the passenger vents- but if I close those vents the air feels like it diverts to driver side and then I will get the cold air on the driver side- open passenger and air no longer as cold.

I know its not a perfect test but I dont see any bubles running through the sight test when its running, and there hasnt been a significant worsening of the a/c symptoms over the past year or so- so whatever it is- its not changing/getting worse fast.

Thanks for any help.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For starters, take a look at the condenser, and use a hose to clean out all the accumulation. Gently! There are cleaning products made just for that situation. Clean the cabin filter. The evaporator gets clogged too, but usually it makes a bit of smell when that happens.

As for the divergence in temps from the different sides, it sounds like the baffles are not moving properly, which is an issue that is mentioned here often enough. Try moving all the climate controls through all the ranges, max hot, max cold, recirc, normal, defrost, etc. That way the baffles will be exercised a bit and may break free of where ever they are stuck.

What seems to happen is that the potentiometers that give position information to the servo controls become dirty, and give incorrect voltages. Running the units back and forth is one way to hopefully clean the pots and get things back on track.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the ac assist fan is not running. The engine compartment has 2 fans up against the radiator. One is for the engine coolant and comes on after the engine has reached operating temp of 190F and the other is the ac assist fan and will turn on when you turn on the ac. See if both fans are running.

You didn't mention miles on the car but it seems like you have not owned the car since new. Alot of posts like these end up the owner finds the used car they bought was in a front end collision and the wiring or condenser is bad.

If it is a used car make sure the plastic bottom protection plate is mounted below the condenser which is the radiator looking unit in front of the radiator itself. If that bottom plate is missing the condenser will not last long as it may get damaged by flying road debris. Or get very contaminated by road dust and dirt.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, good point about the radiator fans, and in addition make sure they are blowing in rather than out, which can happen if they are reversed.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep we have seen a few of those.
    Especially if in front end accident.

6. Toast

Toast New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So couple updates- No i didnt buy the car new, it had 12k miles on it (but it was involved in front end collision. Most damage was across top of car (it went under a big truck and peeled hood up, airbag didnt deploy- I was given pictures of all the damage). But the AC I am sure could have been damaged then.

I will look to see if both fans are running when I turn on the AC- cause I drove it to work today and it was only ~90 degrees and while I wasnt uncomfortable the AC for sure cant keep up, cause in any other car or prius I can make myself cold to the point i need to turn off the AC, but in my car it never approaches that level of chill.

Pretty sure the 12v battery isnt the problem because I have had to replace it already and problem was present both before and after replacement.

I replaced the interior cabin filter (which badly needed replacing) but didnt fix the problem. And I still cant quite figure out why the air is so much colder on the passenger side then the driver (but if i close passenger vents that cold air gets "diverted" to driver side and the driver vents are much colder when passenger are closed.

Thanks for the ideas to get me started, I will check everything you mentioned, and I will get back to you with those results

Appreciate the help

Matt

#6 Toast, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  7. Toast

Toast New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And another slight update- both fans are running when the car is on/ac is running. I thought the problem could have been a reversed fan- as the fins were opposite directions, however turning the ac on/off and running up to see the fans spinning let me know they actually spin in opposite directions, one is clockwise, other is counterclockwise- however both are blowing "into" the engine compartment not out of it.

I had the car looked at by a mechanic previously who didnt find anything wrong (as when the temperature is moderate and you just start it up everything seems to run fine and air is cool- its just when the prius tries to keep up with a warm day it struggles mightily.

Thanks for any other insight you may have.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought they were identical fans. Both in suck air into engine compartment mode. Since you know which way the fans spin look at the blade angle orientation and see if the rotation is correct for drawing air or compare model numbers on the fans if you can and see if they are identical.

I think this may be your problem as what you describe is classic assist fan failure issue.
    Other symptom is you can fly down the highway and ac is good but when you come to stop light ac gets warm.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not identical but counter-rotating. That is why, if a repair shop swaps the blades mistakenly, they blow out rather than in. It sounds like the OP has proper fan operation.

You didn't mention how the condenser looks. It needs to be clean.

Then assure the baffles are moving properly. Although you aren't seeing this problem, this thread shows where to look for proper baffle motion:
    priuschat.com/threads/new-clicking-sound-under-dash-drivers-side.139479/

Take it to an A/C shop and have them at least put gauges on the high and low ports to check pressure.

10. Toast

Toast New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, they are counter rotating- and both def are blowing in.

The condenser is pretty clean actually, and it appears the baffles are moving properly.

Is checking the high and low port something you wouldnt recommend me doing at home with an AC charging hose (I know enough that it shouldnt be one that has ever been used with any other AC charging due to the specific oil that is needed with the electric condensor- but I have a new hose for charging AC lines on the shelf that has never been used on any car. Also- if there would be no harm in checking do you know what pressure I should be looking for on high/low side? I read on another post low side should be a bit less then about 35psi, and high side closer to 180 (and I assume the pressures are taken when AC is running full.

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping there was a way to easily check the refrigerant pressure, but it appears there isn't. Looks like I'm heading to the shop. :(