1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

a/c repair at dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Martin Feldman, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Martin Feldman

Martin Feldman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Experienced low a/c output this summer, so I took my Prius to the dealer for re-charge/diagnosis/leak detection. They found a small leak in the condenser, so they order the part, re-scheduled a week later for install, charged $150 for the service, and quoted $510 for the condenser replacement.
    (a/c worked great during the week).
    Went in yesterday for the replacement, and they called saying one of the screws from the bracket which connects to the radiator stripped out and the radiator and hardware now needs replacement, adding $260 to the tab. Apologetically, they said a car that has spent 8 winters in Vermont will sometimes require this extra work.
    Does this sound on the level?
    Thanks!

2. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

Yes. Actually it sounds like they are giving you a deal to help make up for the mishap. I guess since they have the condenser out it is easy access to get to the radiator. If I recall a rebuilt radiator is about $130 and a new Toyota one should retail for maybe $200. I don't sense they are cheating you.
    Manny

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seems a little excessive to replace a radiator due to it having a stripped hole. OTOH, maybe more involved??

4. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just replaced mine and one of the screws broke and stripped also (upstate ny car). It held perfectly fine with the other three, it was solid and I tried to stress it to make sure.. Mine was upper left (driver's) side.
    Edit: I just realized you may be referring to a different part.. Mine was one of the screws connecting the condenser to the radiator.

5. Martin Feldman

Martin Feldman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They said after the screw striped, a chunk of metal came off the radiator and they strongly doubt it would hold pressure.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's too bad but, I think they are being straight with you. I could see how that could happen.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Salted roads are evil, move to California. It amazes me to see 30 year old cars without a drop of rust. Visit the east coast and see 8 to 10 old cars with rusted out wheel wells.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Those who claim that cars today don't rust; don't know cars.

It's not the painted exterior or the flat panels that rust. It is the bolts and places where the parts are joined together that are most likely to corrode and rust.

That's why I've always recommended a cheap "pretreatment" of these joints with a light rustproofing aerosol spray penetrant to prevent the ingress of salt bearing water.

Basically, the water either drains off or evaporates leaving behind an abrasive and corrosive compounds in these crevices.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll bet they were using power tools to drive in the bolt, something like that. But how are you going to prove. That smells...

I've had bodywork done where they put bolts back in that were fastening a plastic underpanel. Took the head off the bolt.