1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A couple basic questions...

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Drewvenile, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Drewvenile

Drewvenile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if this is the right forum but here it is:

-my volume dial is slightly more recessed than the tune dial. Is it supposed to be that way? Any way to pop it out more?

-what does the USB input actually do? It does not charge my iphone or act the way my Bluetooth control does. So what is it intended for?

- what is the little notch left of the Aux and USB input for? My guess was a strain relief mechanism for cables, but it didn't work so well in practice.

If anyone has answers I would appreciate it!

Drew image.jpg image.jpg

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does play music from a USB thumb drive, and also recharges older type dumb phones.

3. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ive used that usb port to listen to my ipod and charge it. used it to play music from flash drive. and also have charged my iphone from it.

that notch is in fact to route the cables. i keep my ipod connected and run the wire from the usb to under that notch to the glove box.

4. Drewvenile

Drewvenile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting... Does anyone know why my iPhone might not be playing music / charging / doing anything when I plug it in to the USB? What am I missing?

Anyone have a shallow volume nob like in my car? Just curious because it seems like a weird design, and my tune dial is perfectly set. Wondering if I have a defective set up.

Drew

5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    what iphone do you have and what firmware are you running?

i dont have the stock radio anymore, but im pretty sure my knobs were on the same level. the volume button is also the power button correct? maybe it was pressed in too hard?

6. Drewvenile

Drewvenile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have an iPhone 4s with firmware 5.2.00

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Could be you're using a crap cable. My samsung won't charge if on one of my cables, but it will on all of the rest.

Fahfoofnik and AliIzad like this.
  8. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    you should really upgrade to the new firmware, that might fix your problem. also the cable might be the problem. i was using some fake china cable which worked 50-50. but then i went back to the oem cable and it worked all the time.

ztanos likes this.
  9. Drewvenile

Drewvenile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know! Thanks everyone.

10. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bingo! I had tried everything with my iPhone and was starting to think there was something wrong with the car. Finally something told me to use the original Apple cable instead of the cheap Chinese one i got as a spare. lo and behold, the phone charges and is recognized by the system.

Fahfoofnik and ztanos like this.
  11. jss2

jss2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a 64gb usb thumb drive that only sticks out from the usb port a quarter inch or so, and then loaded it up with hundreds of albums (in mp3 format). I just leave it in there all the time, definitely worth the $40 or so that I spent on it.

Nexus 5 ?

12. Coran Fixx

Coran Fixx New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was unconvinced that the USB port was really charging my phone so I downloaded an app to monitor the current but it was not compatible with the S4. I moved on to my ipad air. When plugged into the USB port it gives the 'not charging' sign. I also have a dual usb cigarette charger, when plugged into the non apple side it says nothing at all, when plugged into the apple side it charges normally.

Long story short I believe the usb port is putting out charging current just not high powered current. I did all tests with original known good cables.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius has a standard USB2 port which provides 500mA charging current. This is enough for most smartphones and USB sticks, but not for an iPad or a USB external drive.

14. Coran Fixx

Coran Fixx New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah that sounds correct. My S4 will charges about 10% per hour.