1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A decent -- economical -- FLOOR JACK

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, May 21, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for the latest, greatest (well, Thrifty, also) recommendations on floor jacks.

I have considered ramps, also. And, while, if I had the $$, I would get both, I think the most useful option at the moment would be a floor jack. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

But, if you truly think I should reconsider and get ramps instead, let me know why. Mostly, I will use it to help in changing fluids, rotating tires, as well as a few other little odd jobs around the farm (which the ramps will not help with).

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a farm? with lots of dirt and land?? hell I would buy a shovel and make my own ramps

Anyways, if you buy a floor jack, you would need to get jack stands too. You can't go under the car while it's on the floor jack, in fear of crushing yourself under it.

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, today, crushing doesn't seem so bad, but I do have jack stands -- they terrify me -- they are circa 1923 (O.K., 1973) that my dad used to use with his Datsun B210, but I do have them....

4. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    harborfreight.com see if you have a nearby store. Make sure you get one that goes high enough. I now have two that are worthless due to max height issues.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the issue with the HF jacks....I am not sure what is high enough (wait, can that get me arrested?).

That, plus I had an issue over the weekend and my mechanic severly scolded me for using products that were not from Snap-on and that ilk.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What caused the scolding and was it justified?

I would not recommend Harbor Freight because I would avoid buying the cheapest possible tools. Those can cause damage to the part being worked on and may cause damage to yourself if the tool breaks while under load.

As a hobbyist it would be reasonable to buy tools from Sears Craftsman, Home Depot, or Lowes. Costco also offers a reasonable floor jack and jackstands. You can get decent quality tools for much less than the Snapon professional tools are priced at.

A floor jack and jackstands combo allow you to do much more than ramps. The latter is good primarily for draining engine compartment fluids while the former allows you to, for example, remove tires for access to brake and suspension work.

The Prius is low enough so that you cannot use ramps with a particularly high angle of attack. Ramps that will fit the front of the car will only give you a few inches of rise above the paved surface. This further makes use of such ramps unsuitable for many repair tasks.

I own a set of standard ramps and they are useful only for SUV or minivan type of vehicles such as my Highlander Hybrid. The rise angle is too great to fit my Prius or Mustang GT convertible, so the air dam will hit the ramp before the tire starts to rise up the ramp.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kris-
    I'm a scardy cat under the car. I double up on the jack stands by leaving the jack in place also and also placing blocks of wood under the tires. If I really need the car high I double up on the jack stands.
    To many scary stories of cheap jack stands failing. Yikes. Maybe why your guy was scolding you he doesn't want you to get hurt and we don't either. Be safe.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How does one "double up on the jackstands to get them higher"? :eek:

SCH-I535

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Ed is saying that if he wants to raise up the car to the full extent of the jackstand's reach, he will use two jackstands on each side to share the load.

I personally think it is sufficient to use one good pair of jackstands supplemented by the hydraulic floor jack on the side of the car that I will be under.

If I want to raise up the car on my standard ramps, I will jack up each side of the car and place lengths of 4x6 under each front tire. Then I will place the ramps between the tire and the wood, and drive up the ramps. That procedure allows a reduced rise angle on the ramps so the car's front air dam will not hit the ramps.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    DO NOT USE a floor jack while working on a vehicle.

I needed low rise stands to clear the low front end on my Gen III. They work well with my CMax too. Got them at a national chain auto parts store for about $30.

[​IMG]

Parking downhill as pictured will give you slightly more working room.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not in Oregon.

If your dad's jack stands are in decent shape, they'll do.
    They don't have to be pretty.

I'd go to the nearest retailer (Harbor Freight, Wally, Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc...) with the Prius and get the largest jack that will fit under the car and into the budget.
    It doesn't have to be an aluminum rapid pump "racing" floor jack that people buy as garage candy.
    Sears makes a 2-1/2 ton old school iron unit for about $45, although you can get a jack that will suffice at some place like Harbor Freight for $29.

You'll be able to determine in the parking lot if the jack will work on your Prius, and that might save you a round trip.

I'd start saving for the ramps. (about $45)
    They're worth it, and if you have acreage.....you'll need both.

Good Luck!

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the minimum jack I'd recommend. You want to get a jack that lowers by turning the handle. The $45 one you will have to remove the handle and turn a square bolt (an absolute pain). Cheap tools are a pain in the rear. Don't waste your money on them.

Sears.com

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tha's the exact same jack I have too from Sears. Works & lasted so far very well.

Kris's problem may be she may not have alot of paved driveway as she lives in the boonies and that jack is kinda hard to roll around in dirt. It would get messed up quickly. The roll around jacks tend to naturally weep a little jack oil and in dirt would become a mess. Unless you don't mind hosing the jack off every use then it would be ok.

But if she has a paved driveway this particular jack is a must for diy. Buy a bottle of jack oil too.

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been crawling under cars supported by jackstands for decades now. And it never gets easier: every time, there's a moment when I'll look up and wonder if this was maybe not a hot idea, lol.

Anyway, one thing I do now: someone down the block was cutting up a tree trunk. I picked up a section, about 1 foot diameter by 1 foot long. I make a point to push that item under a main cross piece, just aft of the the engine bay, before I crawl under.

Another thing I do is keep my cell phone on me.

My current jack is a 3 ton cheapy. I got it for it's high lift. It's ok, the release is activated by rotating the handle counter clockwise. Only thing is the release is kind of hair trigger, you really need to crack it gently to get the car to come down gradually. Better quality jacks likely do better in this regard.

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like the tree trunk and like the cell phone even better. Have to remember that one.

16. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe...maybe not....:whistle:

I decided against some cheap torque wrenches, after people on here warned me about such things....those things you buy at the harbor.... you know, after they are shipped from overseas....

However, I figured a BIG torque wrench, to be used on wheels during rotation would be O.K., because how critical is 77 vs. 83 foot pounds.

So, I worked on a family member's car while he was away -- and somehow, some of the nuts did not hold the wheel on...not sure how that happened -- it could have been me, really...not the tool.

No accident, no real damage to the car, but it somewhat scared me.

I talked to my mechanic, who knows me quite well for some reason :love: and he really went into it about inaccurate tools, danger, damage and the ozone layer. After a few years of hearing you, other people on this board, and now my mechanic -- and really having an issue that COULD have been serious -- I am now leaning on saving my $$ and when I have enought, buying "decent" (although maybe not SNAP-ON quality) tools when I can.

And, hey, guys, thanks so much for the response from all of you on this. I appreciate each post, thought, idea. Even the shovel and dirt idea -- I originally thought about building some sort of pit I could drive the car over and work on it -- but here the pit would be a pond from October through May/June -- and a mud wallow up until about the end of July/mid-August (although the dog and goats might like it....).

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol I love your posts.

But really the only thing that can hurt you other than sprained muscles tool wise is cheap sockets cracking and flying off in bits and sharp pieces. When you get up to 80-100 ft lbs and maybe using a cheater bar or really wailing on
    taking off a stuck nut make sure your using name brand sockets ( no harbor) and anything over 120 lbs (wheel bearing castle nut) use name brand impact sockets. Always wear eye protection.

That and try not to let a car fall on you. That's my motto.

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good, that incident should scare you. This is a very serious issue.

I strongly suggest that you need to think carefully about how the issue happened. This is a probably a question of technique, just like the issue you earlier raised regarding lifting a car with a scissors jack and having the car fall off the jack. It is not necessary for either event to occur.

If wheel nuts come loose, the likely explanation is that you did not tighten them properly to begin with, or you did not have the nuts centered on the wheel holes before tightening.

The wheel nuts should be tightened at least hand-tight while the tire is still raised up. Then after the car is lowered to the ground, the nuts should be tightened to the correct torque value (76 ft.-lb in the case of Prius.) Start with one nut. Then move to a nut which is diagonally across, to spread the load. Then move to a third nut diagonally across, etc. Once all five nuts have been tightened, go around the five nuts once more to check that all five are still tight.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And if you have a locking nut, it should be the last nut tightened. Also, the first nut loosened. Try doing the mental aerobics: which nut should you start with, to progress through a criss-cross tightening pattern that ends with the locking nut? Gets involved with a 5 nut pattern.

One time I snugged up nuts while the car was raised, lowered it, forgot to torque them, and the car was driven off. About 1/2 hour later it came to me, was on my phone asap, they torqued them and all was good. But it scared me: it's too easy to have a lapse. A checklist or some sort of ritual is worthwhile for things like this. Maybe: set the torque wrench on the steering wheel, as a reminder.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol....was waiting for the socket to explode. This guy's an idiot.

Btw, easy method to never let this happen. Pop the center cap off the wheel the one with a Toyota emblem on it and fill it to the brim with synthetic wheel grease and pop the cover back on. It keeps that castle nut/spindle end from becoming a crusted corroded beyond repair mess.
    Did that 7 years ago and the nut looks pretty good.