1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A few questions about upgrading stereo/speakers...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by nola_Prius, Jun 28, 2009.

1. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm planning on getting a Blizzard White Gen III Prius IV with solar roof within the next few months. (hopefully sooner)
    I've done a little searching, but can't really find anything that answers my questions.

I am currently driving a '08 Scion tC. I upgraded the Scion's stereo to a Kenwood Excellon DNX8120, which is a very nice 7" touchscreen with DVD player, Navigation, full iPod control, Bluetooth, etc. It's a damn nice stereo, and I've grown very attached to it.

I got to check out and test drive a few of the new Gen III models over the past few days. As far as the stereo was concerned, I felt that I would definitely need to upgrade it...especially after seeing pics on here how bland and not-very-pretty the iPod interface is. (really the overall interface, including the Navigation.)

What I'm wondering is if anyone with a Gen III Prius has upgraded the stereo yet...?
    Does anyone have any pics or link to pics/info?

When I get my Prius, aside from the stereo upgrade, I also plan to get some sort of custom subwoofer box made to hold either 2 10" subs or maybe one really nice 12".

This will be my first Prius and my first hybrid, so I'm not really sure how they hold up to adding extra stereo/electronic equipment.
    Will a new head unit and an additional amp cause noticeable differences in the car? (as far as the battery consumption or fuel efficiency is concerned...?)

I really wanted to maintain the stock equipment and look, but my Kenwood head unit has just served me VERY well. The Garmin navigation is incredible, and not nearly as bland as the one in the new Prius. Another thing is I really want to maintain the steering wheel controls and I'm not sure if any mention of adapters or anything like that has happened yet.

If anyone has any links to good info or pics on upgraded stereo/speakers in a Prius (preferably a Gen III), please post here!

Thanks in advance for any helpful info...

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car holds up fine to upgraded stereo equipment. The only trick is mating it to the JBL system if your GenIII will be equipped with it. If you are planning on taking the factory head unit out ands replacing it with the Kenwood please let us know how it turns out. I have not done one at our shop yet and there are no tech notes available from our suppliers yet, that I know of anyway.

Other than that you can assume you may experience a small MPG loss with a very large system but I have not been able to nail down exactly how much. Smaller systems will be so negligible that I wouldn't even worry about it.

3. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It just seems that if I did an even swap for the JBL touchscreen in the Gen III Prius with my Kenwood DNX8120, all the factory controls would still be sitting there on each side of the stereo... unless a kit has been released or whatever.
    Do you know anything about that?
    Or if the steering wheel controls in a 2010 Prius can be adapted to work with aftermarket head units yet?

I'll probably just tough it out for a while, but I hate the though of stepping down in quality of interface, ease of use, aesthetic value, etc. especially when everything else about the car to be very nice.

As for the power I had in mind, I would probably just upgrade the head unit itself, and add a sub or two with an amp that probably won't exceed 400 watts.
    I'll probably upgrade the door speakers eventually also, but just run then off the new head unit. I don't expect that to make MUCH of a difference in MPG, but I wasn't sure how the whole hybrid system handled extra electrical requirements. As I said, I'm new to these things.

4. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is what my Kenwood's interface looks like.
    In my opinion, it's much more user friendly and also just better looking.
    (Sorry for the not-so-great pics. They were taken with my phone.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, nice units. I sell them. :)

I'll see what I can find from the kit and harness manufactures but this early in the release of the GenIII I'm not sure i will find much. :(

6. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Faith no more. Nice!

7. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gotta love em!! My fingers are crossed that their reunion and touring will bring them back to the USA. I'll be shocked and disappointed if it doesn't.
    Where are you at in New Orleans? What dealership did you buy from?
    I'm a pretty big NIN fan too, but mostly older stuff... The Fragile and before.
    Check out my music if you like heavy/melodic/prog/experimental type stuff:
    www.myspace.com/bioshock

F8L,
    I figured there wouldn't be anything out yet as far as kits and harnesses go. How long does it usually take for companies to release them for new model cars? I'm debating about whether I should sell my Kenwood with my Scion or keep it for when I can throw it in the Prius.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends on how many cars of that model are usually sold and how many usually put stereos in them. For the 2004-2009 Prius it took literally years for them to make a kit. :(

9. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ugh. I guess that's not a good sign.
    If you hear anything or come across anything, let me and everyone else on here know please!! :)

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Challenge in the 2010 - you'll lose NAV as well w/ the head unit swap, and essentially be tossing $1800 to the side, and losing most of the additional functionality via the wheel (bluetooth phone, etc). Why not start w/ a Prius II instead which doesn't have the upgraded head unit and JBL amp to contend with?

In all seriousness, sit in a 2010 w/ JBL and listen before you decide whether you need the 400W amp and subs. The JBL's 6x9s aren't going to have the reach of the 12", but they're hands down much better than Gen II. Besides, if you decide against the stereo upgrade, the extra weight not added will improve your MPG! ;) I'm not entirely biased - in another life, I had 400w main + 200w mono sub amp, 12" sub in a sealed box, etc. The 2010 w/ JBL isn't nearly as loud, but it's loud enough to enjoy "inside" the car and full enough where I'm no longer complaining about the lack of a sub.

Another thing to consider is the power draw on your amps. 400W isn't a whole lot, but your main fusable link is 125A, so you won't want to get too crazy!.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick, the DNX8102 has all of those features plus more (USB and Ipod integration, paramentric equalizer, etc. and it looks a lot nicer than the factory NAV piece. It uses a Garmin NAV system so it is arguably better than the factory NAV as well. I can see why the OP would want to swap. The Kenwood piece is damned nice! :)

As for power I don't think there will be any issues. I have yet to blow the fusable link and I'm pushing approx. 1900watts but since my subs can't handle the full power it is likely closer to 1500watts when I have it fully cranked.

I agree with you that the new GenIII system is much nicer than the GenII's best effort but it does not compare to an aftermarket system. :)

As for milage drop, I'm still getting 50-53mpg (mostly freeway) even with the system booming. When I make the commute to my 1st job and drive up the hill (1,000 climb) my milage can drop to 47-48mpg though. :(

12. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm going with a IV because a sunroof is a must for me... the solar stuff is just an added bonus in my eyes, but also very awesome. (if it works well)

I have sat in and test drove a V with Nav. The stereo system sounded OK to me, for a stock system... but I NEED some more bass. I'm not into blowing money away so people a block down can hear my bass from inside their house... that's just stupid.
    However, a dedicated subwoofer is also a must for me. I need that low end.

Why do you say a stereo swap would lose Nav?
    If I did a stereo swap, it would be for something with more features than the stock Nav head unit. (DVD player, a Nav system that isn't DVD-based, etc.)

I LOVE my Kenwood... screw a DVD-based nav system... that's just stupid with today's technology.
    I also enjoy putting in a DVD movie from time to time. Dangerous, maybe, but I don't stare at it the whole time I'm driving...and passengers love it.

I will most likely try adding a sub/amp setup first, before doing anything to the actual head unit. If after a while, I decide that the stock Navigation system meets my standards and that I can get over the butt-ugly and bland iPod interface... then maybe I'll just stick with the stock head unit.

Another deciding factor for me will be whether or not someone releases an adaptor that will let aftermarket head units utilize the steering wheel controls. I definitely won't be rushing to swap out the head unit, but if and when the time comes that I can do it and not really lose any features/functionality... I most likely will do it.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They either already have one or will soon since the adapters work for a wide range of vehicles within a specific brand (GM, Ford, Toyota/Lexus, etc.)

Here is the unit for the 2004-2009 Prius. I assume either it will work for the 2010 or they will have one available eventually.

PESWIAKJC (Peripheral Electronics)
    Category:Steering Wheel Control Interfaces
    MSRP: $105.95

Product Overview

Steering wheel retention interface for Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Blaupunkt, and Clarion aftermarket radios that are equipped with a wired remote input.
    </SPAN>Product Description

The PESWIAKJC allows the retention of the OEM steering wheel or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit. Works with Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Blaupunkt, and Clarion radios that are equipped with a wired remote input. The PESWIAKJC assigns the buttons on the vehicles steering wheel to aftermarket radios available functions.

[​IMG]

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would hope there's some tie-in w/ the steering wheel buttons or that whole left side of the wheel will be useless. Otherwise I see your point on pulling out "okay" for much better.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. :)

I will keep an eye on the aftermarket developments and I will post up when new items become available that might help others with integration needs.

16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just some further note on the stock system.

Playing some samples from Speakers Sound Test - Woofer & Bass and other sites via AUX IN and laptop. Volume set at 25, laptop set to ~80% (It's a Mac, I'm guessing). With car EQ set flat and ASL on (stopped won't do anything) playing a WAV file from audiocheck.net, you can start feeling it at 20Hz, start hearing at ~29Hz, picks up stronger at 35Hz-40Hz, and is at full range by 50Hz. To me, a sub would only do well to get rid of some door rattle in the process while filling in the sub-20Hz-45Hz range.

For musicians, you can "hear" a C1, and E1 same octave to me seems fully reproduced.

As for highs things start to roll off after 15.5kHz and become almost inaudible at 16kHz, but that could just as well be my hearing or a limit of aux-in. I don't have an SPL meter to test with.

17. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd agree, Rick. After tweaking the audio settings and giving the JBL some decent signal via the Aux Jack and my i-Touch, I was impressed with the sound and even got my rear view mirror to throb away with the bass! BTW: I am really unimpressed by the quality of signal from the XM. Is it just me or is this signal thinned down somehow?

Lee

18. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have not heard the XM yet but in the Sirus you have an option when you subsribe for a cd quality digital signal. I'm guessing the "free" trial is the base signal.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've yet to do any real studies on how my mileage is affected by the stereo system but I'm still getting great mileage. This was a mostly freeway drive with one trip to my 1st job (the 1,000ft. climb). Without the 3mpg loss from that commute I usually net 52-53mpg freeway only at 65mph.

Attached Files:

20. torrens89

torrens89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    :
    My Prius is an white 06 (now with 60k of Massachusetts driving) with the JBL 6CD chgr as part of pkg #7.
    I need some help on installing a new tweeter. I want to replace the factory JBL spkrs, at least in the front, to get cleaner sound. What is the process to remove the JBL tweeter holders in the top of the front doors? I'd guess that some plastic would break if force was applied in the wrong area. I bought a pair of Infinity 1" tweeters but I need advice on how to remove the "sail" panel. All the chats I've read so far do not mention this JBL sail panel area. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

By the way, I may have the only (ha) Prius that has ever had a bad Main Battery. It happened at 43000 miles. The problem showed up as the red triangle main warning light. I was able to drive the car home, 15 miles in limp mode, no problem. AAA towed to dealer next AM. The Westborough dealer was helpful and diag'd it quickly, but getting a replacement took almost a week. Toyota only keeps a few on each coast, and the unit had to be shipped by land. No air freight allowed.
    All this battery woe was totally covered, including rental car, by the emissions warranty-150k for CA spec cars, as in MA. From this experience I'd say the Prius part of Toyota is AOK.:cheer2: