1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A funny mpg story

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PalominoPrincess, Apr 16, 2011.

1. PalominoPrincess

PalominoPrincess New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm currently sitting in our local coffee ice cream shop. There's a car-meet happening outside in the parking lot. You know the kind where they pop the hoods and stand around looking cool. One girl was remarking on the way out the door that her car wasnt the fastest but got better gas mileage. Guy with her says "yeah" and she said " yeah, 32 mpg."

I nearly spit my ice cream laughing. My last tank (second full non-ethanol tank) was 54.1 mpg. I grinned smugly. I think I'll breeze past in stealth mode as I leave. ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, I hear you. I think the same thing when I see the new car commercials. Have a blast whispering past them on your way out. ;)

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So... did you go out there and pop your hood? :)

4. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yo brah, check out my inverter. And that engine...yeah, man, that little tiny thing on the left (that's what she said). Zero to 60 in 11 seconds, like a champ. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can imagine the situation - I would have laughed as well (grinned - I am a somewhat reserved guy... ;)).
    But question is - 32mpg on which type of car? I mean, what type of performance does 32mpg achieve? I mean, exaggerating, a Ferrari doing 32mpg would be the "Prius of sport cars"....
    What cars did these guys have?

Surely in absolute terms, 32mpg... "yeah". :D

6. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm amazed she knew, no one in this country seems to have a clue what their car actually does, i hear "it gets 50 on a run!" so many times it's unreal. When people start talking to me about the prius/plugin they ask "how often do you have to fill up?" like that means anything at all and also "how much does it cost to fill?". But that's because that's all they know, every two weeks they put £65 or so in theirs...

1 person likes this.
  7. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My husband was there with his 2011 Tundra, we'd stopped after picking it up from the tint place, so had both vehicles. His truck, stock, would have put all of them to shame. We did joke about him going over and popping the hood, but didn't want to make the "cool guys" feel bad.

Not sure what kind of car the girl was driving, it was something neither myself or my hub (who is typically up on car stuff) recognized.

And lol @ that's what she said. That was awesome.

8. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess you will be chuckling at your husband too, seeing as he will average about 14-15mpg. Of course, I am assuming he has the 5.7 liter. They are great trucks but mileage is not their strong suit.

SCH-I500 ?

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were thinking of road tripping with another couple. The guy is really, really tall, so he didn't want to go in the Prius (in his words, a "tin can"). His wife said we can take their car and it gets good mileage, like 20 MPG.

I am serious.

BTW, it was a 5000 mile road trip. We ended up going alone and it cost us $250 for gas for the whole trip.

10. PalominoPrincess

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Close, he gets 17 mpg. It is the 5.7L. We try to use the Prius as much as possible because of that. But we also have a horse, and getting 10 bales of hay in the Prius would be quite a feat!

I can't imagine what gas would run for a 5000 mile trip in a "regular" car.....

11. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It'll go down, especially if he is hauling hay or anything else. I had the 5.7 for 2.5 years. Never was able to average more than 16mpg. At least you have the prius to balance things out:D

SCH-I500 ?

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Intrigue would get 30mpg on the open highway so I'd say 167 gallons.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From my fuel logs:

Fall 2008 road trip in a Subaru wagon: 5604 miles, $609 in fuel, 31.7 mpg. That was semi-hypermiled, 28 mpg was fantastic for any previous trips.

Fall 2009 road trip in a Prius: 5996 miles, $304 in fuel, 51.6 mpg.

For the nitpickers who want to adjust for differing fuel prices, there is enough information in there to do that.