1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A video review of the Prius PHV Plug-In - "One Small Step Forward"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Russell Frost (the better half of the What Drives Us podcast hosting team) recently spent some time in the Prius PHV Plug-In prototype that Toyota has out testing in various parts of the world. In order to convey his thoughts, Russell put together a great video review of the Prius PHV with footage shot in and around his town of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The video is well worth watching, but we'll go ahead and spoil the ending for you: Russell doesn't think the limited EV range justifies moving from the 3rd Generation Prius to a plug-in version. Watch the video to find out why.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the video, Russell. :)

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Great editing there Russel and great video. Quite a bit better than the video I did: http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...ng-phv-prius-in-around-nyc-2.html#post1192049 LMAO. Hey, I did mention at the beginning how you'd laugh at me for how I mounted my camera.

I do not know though, for me I'd take a 3rd gen plug in right now, for my driving around here it definitely helps. 14 miles isn't much but it's enough for me. Now anything less and well, that's a different story.

EV's and PHV's good/bad points depend SO much on SO many different variables of where you live, what their range are etc. At least since it seems each company is taking a different approach there will be a car out there for everyone, even if people have to go with different manufacturers to get what suits them best.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very nicely done. It was a very relaxing enjoyable video.

5. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I second that...very pleasant to listen to and watch.

I hope Toyota will maybe surprise us with a longer battery range :)

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My wife first said "only 14 EV miles ?" After we talked for a few minutes about her driving habits and calculated how much petrol would be displaced, she was convinced that the difference was quite substantial and the car price would determine whether she would want to buy the car.

Then I told her to forget about it; we are waiting for the EV Toyota iQ.

7. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    His ending about the marketing/volume is spot on.

Sorry, but I agree with him that the difference is NOT enough to drive significant sales enough to make this get anywhere close to mainstream.

I suspect that Toyota's own estimates of 20K sold, won't be too far off.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had not seen this thread before. He brings up some great points in this video. Thanks!

9. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Really not a fan of EVs unless I can drive ~500 miles without stopping (two more gens of technology improvement?) and a charging infrastructure at hotels, etc.. Plug-ins will have a limited market for those who can and are willing. The new plug-in Prius (yes I know it's a hybrid) has a very, very short EV mileage, not interesting.

Current and improving hybrid technology is the horse to ride for a few years.