1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About to buy a 2012 Prius 3- (on the fence)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ccruiser, Oct 13, 2014.

1. ccruiser

ccruiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone. Tomorrow I will be seeing my 2012 Prius Three that I had transferred in from New Mexico (I am in San Diego), since I wanted the navigation system and the particular color of Sea Glass Pearl which I couldn't find here. But it also has the solar roof package, which I like; so I paid to get it transferred here through CarMax. I am now having second thoughts for several reasons, including the new 2014 models having incentives, while mine has 37k miles on it with no more warranty (the sale price is $20,000). I had my PT Cruiser, GT with a custom full beach woody kit for 10 years, with only 64k miles. So it is hard to give it up. But I go to LA quite a bit for TV/film work , which is why I am wanting a Prius.

Due to the mileage, I will need an extended warranty, quoted about $1,000. I wanted to know who I can contact here about a discounted warranty (I read about it somewhere, that I could send a private message). Tomorrow I will be getting hit with the sales pressure, so I need help deciding if it is worth getting this particular Prius, or keep what I have. The warranty info would help too. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

#1 ccruiser, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okinawa likes this.
  3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with the opinion of Spiderman.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there's a guy in western mass who does them cheap. don't forget, you have 5/50 on some items and 8/100 on hybrid. all the best!(y)

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure you make sense to you, but I can only guess at your questions

1. If you are asking whether a Prius will save you money over keeping your PTc, the answer is no. Drive that car until it is junk and then buy a fuel efficient car
    2. If you want a new toy but have limited money, I suggest you list your preferences in order from most important to least. Presume you are willing to forgo those items lower in the list for those above.
    Good luck

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would not buy the car from new Mexico simply because you won't get the extended CA carb warranty. If you bought a CA car, you would get an 10 year 150k miles warranty vs the new Mexico car with only 8yr 100k miles warranty.

Also with $20k to spend, you should have no problem finding a suitable CA car. ....

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Are you sure ? NM was CARB state. When did it stop ?

Addendum: This PC thread says NM was a CARB state for MY 2011 and 2012 cars, so the car OP is considering has the longer warranty.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Sage is correct (as usual) according to our CARB States post, NM was a CARB member for 2012. I think I have this straight from Toyota (but the memo they provided me had a lot of typos so I wouldn't bet anything on it). But sounds like this vehicle could qualify for CARB extended warranty up to 150k miles and 10-yrs. But it would be nerve wracking to buy and hope...better to get Toyota ruling on the VIN in writing, unless CarMax is claiming it's CARB qulaified by Toyota, I guess that'd be OK.

But 21k sounds high I agree, unless it has a ton of extras, but personally I would not be swayed by the solar roof. OK I take it back if it has what you want, color and solar, and CARB qualified by Toyota..maybe go for it ...

#8 wjtracy, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014