1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About to take delivery - last minute advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lindyq, Apr 19, 2012.

1. lindyq

lindyq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm expecting the paperwork to be completed today, so I'll take delivery tonight or tomorrow on a 2012 Prius Three w/solar roof (to replace my recently totaled 2010 Prius). Perusing the forums, I just learned that the incessant beeping in reverse can be turned off by the dealer, so I've asked them to do that. Is there anything else I should ask them to do before I pick it up?

2. NorthDakota

NorthDakota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We had them change the door unlock feature so one touch of the handle or the remote button unlocks all doors. There is nothing more frustrating than standing in the cold or rain waiting for the driver to unlock your door so you can get in! I know on the 2011 this is a dealer programable feature only but on the 2012 it may be different.

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How exciting. You might have them throw in a bottle of touch-up paint. Never hurts to ask. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The owners manual has an entire chapter devoted to custom settings (most need to be done by dealer). Somebody posted a pdf of the manual on this site, so try a search if your interested.

I'd also suggest taking your time and looking over the entire car (inside & out) prior to signing for it, to ensure there isn't any damage (I actually refused delivery of a car once due to 2 small dents in the front bumper, likely cause by the rear bumper of another car on a ship or truck).

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

6. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My dealer was willing to try, but couldn't figure out how to do so. He said he just changed everything that beeped, just in case. But it hasn't changed the seatbelt beeper.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This can be done very easily at home on the 2012.

I just wish I'd asked them to remove the backup beep when I bought it last week. Can I ask a service department to do it during my first service appointment (it won't be the same dealer I bought from)?

8. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Enjoy the ride!

9. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My dealer was nice enough to remove the backup AND seatbelt beeps. They were not going to remove the seatbelt beep, but I warned the sales guy that if they didn't do it I was going to anyways, so he saved me the hassle ;)

10. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My dealer was willing to get rid of all persistent beeps, but made me understand that I was defeating a safety feature. Now there is only one beep per warning - easy to live with.

1 person likes this.
  11. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Have the delivery inspection done in indoor with good lighting. Some dealers have a designated place for taking delivery. Bring a friend with you to check on dents and scratches. Bring your favorite music to try out the sound system. Don't be shine, crank up the volume to make sure there is no loose mounting on the speakers. Check all fluid levels under the hood. (Many years ago, my brother-in-law took delivery of a new Ford but after drove it home, he opened the hook and discovered motor oil all over the top of the engine. It turned out that the dealer did not put the cap back after their so-called pre-delivery inspection.) Make sure the spare tire and tool kit are in place. Most importantly, ask if you can drive around the building once to make sure the engine is running in normal condition before you sign your name on the paper.
    If you found any problem after you sign, they will just ask you to come back to fix the problem and it will be a waste of time. You'd also be in their mercy to honor any of your complaint.
    I know I seem to turn the dealers into some kind of devil but not all are responsible and honest. My dealer was one of them.
    Good luck and enjoy your new ride like most of us do here.

12. lindyq

lindyq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the advice! I looked at the manual and figured out what I wanted the dealer to change. They gave me a hard time about changing the reverse beeping, but relented when I insisted. I used to hate that noise, but now I'm worried I might forget I'm in reverse -- but with the backup camera, at least I'll see whatever I'm running over or backing into, LOL!