1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS/VSC/Brake Light Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Carl LaFong, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm new to this forum though I've been lurking for a while and found some great tips (e.g., headlight replacement). I've found message threads on the ABS/VSC/brake light issue and am pretty sure the solution given in one or more threads (ABS reset using the jumper for the OBD-II connector) has worked for me.

So anyway, I'm not looking to rehash stuff that's already been discussed, but I do have a question: now that I've done the reset and the lights are no longer on, is there any follow-up action I need to take? Or is the reset all I need to do?

If anyone wants to know, I can provide the specifics of the scenario that brought this on, but I'll save that for now.

Thanks in advance.

JL

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That will depend upon what was the root cause of the warning lights appearing, and whether that root cause is still present or not.

3. Carl LaFong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Okay, then, here's how this all happened. I was due for an oil change and Just Brakes had this deal for oil change, new filter and tire rotation for about $20. So I went in and had it done. When they turned the car over to me, I almost immediately noticed that my brakes felt soft; then I noticed all the lights on the dashboard. I turned around and brought it back to the shop; they said, oh, it's nothing we did, those lights were on when you brought it in -- a bald-faced lie. I'm like, well if these lights were on, why the hell didn't you even mention it to me?

I got no satisfaction from these idiots (moral of the story -- NEVER go to Just Brakes), so I did the search on this forum for what the lights meant and found the reset procedure. I probably should have mentioned that not only are the lights no longer on, my ABS is working fine now (no more soft brakes; ABS pumping during a hard stop).

So as to root cause analysis, my hypothesis is that there is something that has to be done in conjunction with tire rotation on a Prius to keep these lights from coming on, and the JB morons were as clueless about this procedure as I am. Does that sound reasonable?

JL

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think what may have happened was that the car was left in either IG-ON or READY modes while the tire change was going on, and the tech hit a front brake caliper pretty hard with the inside of a wheel as he was removing or installing the tire. That mechanical shock caused the skid control ECU to log a DTC and the warning lights came on.

If you don't see the lights reappear, then you are done.

5. Carl LaFong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That pretty well fits with what I saw. The guy hit the power button once to get the vehicle mileage, and I bet he left it that way.

Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks.

JL