1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS warning and Brake Light

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by perry.turner, Apr 22, 2014.

1. perry.turner

perry.turner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So the 2003 ABS warning and Brake Light came on the other day with the alarm. The alarm cleared after a few minutes and the first time the warning lights cleared. I drove the car around town to see if I could replicate the issue. No issues found. My daughter drove the car for a few days and after work one night she called to say the lights and alarm were back on her way home from work. I am not sure of her braking habits whether she presses evenly or if she jabs the brakes. I put the car in my shop today and after it ran for a few minutes the alarm cleared. The lights remain.
    What I would really like to get my hands on is a dvd copy or soft copy of the repair manuals so I can review the troubleshooting steps to determine what my next steps are in determining if there is a bad component.
    I have not changed brakes nor added fluid to the car since just after I bought it two years ago.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

Mini VCI is the best approach to obtain the power of the Toyota Techstream diagnostic software.

3. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another option is a Toyota Intelligent 2, Hand Held Scanner made by Denso.

I picked mine up off Ebay. It's pricey; $250 is the least cost I'd seen. It also lets you exercise various parts of the vehicle as well as turn off warnings that some scanners won't touch as it's Prius specific. I was interested in bleeding the rear brakes at the time. It's come in very handy. In it's last two uses it has more than paid for itself in saving me from dealer charges. I'd recommend one.

4. perry.turner

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Mini VCI is the best approach to obtain the power of the Toyota Techstream diagnostic software.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the techstream software for free and I am waiting on the mini VCI connector.

5. perry.turner

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I picked mine up off Ebay. It's pricey; $250 is the least cost I'd seen. It also lets you exercise various parts of the vehicle as well as turn off warnings that some scanners won't touch as it's Prius specific. I was interested in bleeding the rear brakes at the time. It's come in very handy. In it's last two uses it has more than paid for itself in saving me from dealer charges. I'd recommend one.[/quote]

Any tips for bleeding the brakes? is it pretty standard?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Umm...

As antilock brake systems powered by an accumulator pump go, you could probably call it pretty standard, and it is less complicated than the Gen 2. If you're thinking of an old pre-ABS "standard" setup, then no.

Simple bleeding of a bit of air at the wheel cylinders can be done without Techstream as long as there is no air in the pump, master cylinder, or actuator, and you make very sure not to let any get in - see this post for more.

-Chap

7. Chris Ward

Chris Ward New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read the forums for a while and it has led to good information for repair of my 2005. I finally joined to ask about the Brake actuator and bleeding the brakes. I'd like to accomplish the work myself as the cost to have it done is more then the car is worth. I've seen that I can get a salvaged actuator for $130-230 (brand new being $1300) and I know that I would need a hand tool to bleed the brakes. The last forum a read on this was 4-6 years old. What is the best device and the best way to accomplish this with out a repair shop?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With 2G, you will need Mini VCI running on a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop so that you can follow the procedures in the Toyota repair manual to bleed the brakes. It is not as simple as Classic.

See techinfo.toyota.com to find the brake bleed procedure, which requires opening the various valves within the brake actuator assembly.

9. Chris Ward

Chris Ward New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank All of you for the help over the years. I knew from previous discussions that it was not a classic bleed. Two things I'm stuck on before making the move to do the work. I only have a Mac at home is their a Mini VCI version for Mac or equivalent? Second, How do you add the fluid back in? This should also be computer controlled but does the VCI software have that as an option?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there isn't. But, you can set up a virtual WinXP or Win 7 (32 bit) machine in Boot Camp, Parallels or VMWare Fusion and it works fine.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I posted separately about my experience using a MacBook Pro with Mini VCI and Windows 7, 32 bit OS. It works well except my McAfee antivirus SW reports a trojan.

I suggest you subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com to obtain the brake fluid change procedure using Techstream, which Mini VCI emulates.

12. Belliebote

Belliebote New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday was the first time the abs light, brake light and the high pitched alarm came on. Outside temps 21F and I turned on the car and drove it out of the driveway right away but the lights and sound freaked me out and the brakes did not work well. Soft and did not really work. We called local garages but the were not familiar with our issue and this site helped us figure out what the problem could have been. I did not go shopping and pulled the car back in the driveway. Turned it off and back on and nothing changed. So I left it running and it eventually stopped and lights went off. I drove it and no problem. We are thinking the pump line must have been too cold to drive immediately. I hope the lights and sound do not happen again as I don’t want to have to replace the brake motor pump. My car is a 2005.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?