1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ACC never turns on lower vent/front defrost mode automatically

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lorkp, Jan 20, 2007.

1. lorkp

lorkp New Member

Our previous car would sense by outside temp when the windshield would likely fog up and select the climate mode with the lower vents and windsheild defrost icon automatically (when in AUTO mode). However, I've never seen my Prius do this.

When I want to defog the windshield, the defrost mode is too much—it immediately clears, but then creeps back on. I'd keep it in this mode all of the time, but it's not automatic, and the noise is annoying. Instead, I have to manually select the lower vent defrost icon, and this keeps the fog at bay without going all out. However, I feel that this should be automatic.

Has any one else noticed this, or know why the car acts this way?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lorkp @ Jan 20 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]378190[/snapback]</div>
    The windshield will not fog up if you select Auto AC and set the desired temp.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jan 20 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]378214[/snapback]</div>
    I agree if you keep it at automatic it keeps the windows surprisingly defogged without "officially" pushing air to the windows (I suspect the Prius always runs a little air towards the windows). For awhile I was trying to out think the Prius and I didn't use the automatic switch, this would make my windows fog up.

So the easiest is to allow the Prius to do it's job in automatic (I have mine set at 65F).
    I run front defroster (and rear window heat) in the morning for like 2-3 minutes if needed, then I switch to automatic

/Robert

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does select lower+defrost automatically sometimes, but not often.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lorkp @ Jan 20 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]378190[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen it happen once or twice in the 5 years we've owned our 02 Camry. I've yet to see/feel it in the Prius.

6. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lorkp @ Jan 20 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]378190[/snapback]</div>
    So which exactly are the "lower" vents? Floor? Dash? Windshield? I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly is the problem you're describing.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Jan 20 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]378303[/snapback]</div>
    "Foot/Defrost"

the one between "Foot" only and " Front Defrost"

8. lorkp

lorkp New Member

In general, I do keep my system on automatic. On a recent road trip, the windshield fogged even though the system was set to automatic (with a temperature of 70 F).

9. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Mine does select that mode when in automatic. I've noticed it there several times in the past few days.