1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident in my PIP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Potorap, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Traveling from Vegas to Pahrump last night, and a dodo bird passes me on the highway at 65 mph and clips my driver door, fender, bumper and mirror. Unbelievable!!!!!! My PIP will never be the same. I am sitting at the Toyota dealer in Vegas waiting on a repair quote. So my question is, has anyone had body repair work recently ( hope not) at a certified Toyota Dealer? My main concerns are paint matching, line match up and last but not least, flag on my vehicle as being in an accident and the value will be reduced. Any thoughts?

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One thing I'm sure we'd all like to know: was it was a hit-and-run?

I don't think body-damage affects the value as much as chassis-damage.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The repair will be on carfax so when you trade in your vehicle some day that will give the dealer an excuse to try to lower the value of your car. If you had a golf ball size dent in your bumper, same thing. Just get your car repaired and try not to worry too much about the issues you mentioned. I think your car will look okay after the repair. Hope for the best.

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Noteworthy:

I have been shopping around for repair on my 2007 Prius - several collision shops do NOT report to Carfax. However, I will not be claiming my damage on my insurance, am paying cash.

Dont know how much $$ your damage is, but FWIW, my Toyota dealer quoted $1300, while 4 other fine collision shops all quoted under $550. :rolleyes:

5. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got rear-ended in my old 2006 Prius a couple years before getting the Pip, other guy was at fault and insurance paid for entire thing.

Yes, the accident and repair was in Carfax, but was still able to sell the 2006 with 111,000 miles for 10k cash to an ex-cop. I had photos of damage from accident, and ALL receipts from police report, estimate, final repair at local Toyota dealer. The vehicle still got about 50 mpg, which was big seller. Also gave him copies of all maintenance receipts, so he knew vehicle was cared for.

It may be a small thing, but if you ever sell the vehicle to a private party, at least a receipt with "Genuine Toyota Parts" on it somewhere should be a good selling point, instead of an aftermarket replacement part.

Just sayin;

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if its true in this case, but such rating services are often financed by the party to whom it benefits the most.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, was it hit-and-run? Almost better that way: if he'd stuck around he'd be explaining how you'd accelerated and rammed him.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had damage to both left doors & the quarter panel. Liberty Toyota's shop did a great job and the paint matches perfectly. Car was in the shop for a week. The PiP will be fine and this is an opportunity to get the imperfections in the neighborhood taken care of as well.

I don't know how Liberty's rates compare to all other body shops. They were less than Holman's (Toyota) and accepted the insurance settlement.

Holman's shop touched up the rear hatch before acceptance and you'd never know someone was careless with the sharp tool when removing the original dealer's sticker. These are the only two shops I looked at as I wanted a rental Prius.

Sheet metal (cosmetic) work doesn't bother me as I'll run the car until it is not economical.

9. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The damages came out to $3750. I do not want any bondo on my vehicle, so all new parts.

It was almost a hit and run but I caught up to her and called the cops.

j12piprius, retired4999 and ftl like this.
  10. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like Crewdog said, document it with photo's, and records so when you go to sell, you can show that it was not a major impact, and that no air bags deployed. I would also say you might want to get a 2nd, or even 3rd quote from other body shops. A Toy dealer is more about car sales / service, than i would think experts in paint & body work. Most good body shops these days warrant the work for the life of the car, while in your ownership, against problems caused by their repair work. I would do serious research on Yelp, and any other review sites to see which shop has the best past record. The only advantage to doing it all at a Toy dealership is it might give a buyer a tad more peace of mind it was all done at a Toy dealership, with 100% Toy new parts, (which is something else you need to insure and document). At least your car is not that old, so paint should be easier to match. Hopefully, your car is not silver, or a metal flake, as those can be real problematic in matching.

11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My local dealer works with an independent body shop, which was also at the top of the list provided by my insurer, Auto Club of So Cal. As mentioned above, using the recommended shop entitles me to a guarantee on the repairs as long as I own the car. Parts were new from Toyota with the exception of the driver' side mirror shell. Damage took out both doors, same as yours, which required new "skin" along with repairs to both left fenders. Paint work was a perfect match and still looks great after one year. It was a terrible hit to my poor Prius, and I suspect it may affect the value at some point in the future. I'm a paper saver, and I have pictures, so I think a private party will be OK with it. If you're interested, here's a link to the thread about my accident, including pictures. Good luck with your repairs. BTW, I now have a dash cam with mounting and wiring in two cars, which makes possible quick transfers between them. If something like this happens again, I'm going to have proof of who was doing what.
    Oh no- my turn for an accident | PriusChat

j12piprius likes this.
  12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did not know some do not report to carfax. I would like that.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  13. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get yourself a dashcam. The dealer repaired my prius & did a great job.

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd only go to a Toyota dealer if there was mechanical damage to the hybrid system, otherwise a good local body shop can easily repair sheet metal all day long on any Prius. They'd probably do a better job than the dealer because that's their main business...

15. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The shop I went to is Autonation collision center. The estimator says he is only one of two body shops that can make certified repairs bring car back to factory specs.

The color is Blizzard Pearl. He says that colors are computer matched and are perfect. It is a three stage paint job.

I am very happy my wife and I were not hurt. However I am heart broken about the damages. I need some time to get over it. A dash cam is a great idea. Does it record to a hard drive, phone or tablet?

16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I get heart broken over a scratch on my car. I can imagine how you must feel.

17. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think anyone would feel this way.

I purchased a shark fin from prius shop and am waiting for delivery.

Had plans to put fog lights, tint windows, also was thinking about LED tail lights and all LED interior lights. Now I don't feel like doing anything to it.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it always feels lousy. i've done it more times than i care to remember, some of them my fault.:( i hope you get it back like brand new!(y)

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re dash cams, it depends on what you buy. My Black Vue unit has wifi, and can be downloaded to a cellphone, or the mini sd card can be played on a computer using their program. Had I been using one at the time of my accident, I could have shown the responding officers my car traveling in my lane prior to impact, and the speed I was going. Mine records about 7 hours before beginning to record over. An impact will save the immediate video and mark it.
    Re damage to the hybrid system or battery, my car was put on a flatbed to take it to and from the Toyota dealer in order to have the battery removed for inspection while the body damage was repaired, then back for a reinstall of the battery.

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here is a method that I use in helping me get through a situation like you have. I hope it helps you. It is a storm and like all storms there will be an end to it. There will be an end to your's as well.

My590L likes this.