1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident :'(

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by jhinsc, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Got hit in the rear this morning. My v was not drivable afterwards. At the moment of impact, all power shut off and would not turn back on. I believe the hybrid battery was damaged as battery acid was starting to leak at the rear, and it didn't smell nice either. Now dealing with insurance companies. Other driver at fault and I reported it to both mine and his company. Not sure if my v will come back to me alive.....

Attached Files:

#1 jhinsc, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v battery is in that corner, which is why the electrical system is FUBAR. In any case, that's totaled.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your battery should not leak like that. Any windshield washer fluid back there? Gas tanks shouldn't leak either.

4. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Boy oh Boy that looks bad! Hope everyone was alright? Makes me want to sell mine after seeing that, battery acid leaks, Yikes! With the possibility of being crushed and battery acid flying on you, no thanks 50+ mpg's. Hummer here we come!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bummer dude! Hate to see that happen to one of our own. All the best with the insurance thieves!:mad:

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like a hard impact. :(

FYI, damage to soft tissue, as in tears and strains, often don't manifest till the 2nd or third day when inflammation and swelling set in. My wife got rear ended before and suffered a cervical strain injury in the neck from her head being whipped back then forward violently in the crash.

Seek medical attention, even if you feel ok now. At least any injuries sustained like bruising from the seat belts, etc can be checked out and documented for insurance and possible legal purposes.

At least the other party has insurance. That's a big plus, even better if you don't have the same insurance company. ;)

SCH-I535

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car did its job....saved your life...Took a good lick..

If you go after the other insurance company, you are more likely to get a little bit of pain/suffering for you sore back.

Make notes of all mods you have done and money you have spent. Especially on thing done recently.

Did it have a full tank of gas...

I'm not saying you need to nickle and dime them to death, but that's what they will do to you.

Also when they do offer your settlement for the totaled vehicle ask to see how they came up with their valuations. they no longer use blue books/NADA, they will generally poll dealers and see what the cars have been selling for and base the value on that... the key here is to ensure the vehicles are similarly equipped...

remember you car is probably insured for cash value, not replacement value...

jhinsc likes this.
  8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm okay for now - back is tensed up a bit but hopefully should settle down. I didn't think about the 12v battery in rear being damaged. You can see where the acid was leaking out the right rear. Just glad the v what it was supposed to do! Getting run around from insurance companies. If I open a claim with mine, they will want to do all the claim work which will record the accident with them, possibly raising my rates even though I'm not at fault. The other driver's insurance has been helpful to a point when I started a claim, but won't proceed with the claim until they contact him. The phone number given on the accident report doesn't work, but I was told they left him a message on another number and sent him an email. Since I already uploaded the accident report and photo's of my car and his, if he does not get back to them within 7 days, they will proceed with the claim. Fortunately I can borrow a car from step-mom for a few days.

9. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Go with your own insurance people. The accident is reported anyhow. Get a rental and they should pay for it. Let them go after the other guy and stay out of it. Whether or not you wind up claiming something against your own policy is not really a consideration at this point, and they have resources you do not.

AMP and jhinsc like this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your back feels tense or tight now, you should start taking ibuprofen to keep inflammation at bay. Tylenol or acetaminophen isn't as effective at keeping inflammation down.

It's usually the 2nd or 3rd day when you really feel it.

SCH-I535

Merkey and jhinsc like this.
  11. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    get a rental car... start costing the insurance company money...that makes them work faster.

if you record the claim against your insurance company they will subrogate for you since the other drive is at fault they will get reimbursed for all costs, and you will get your deductible back as well.

the problem is that your insurance company will not compensate you for pain/suffering/inconvenience, ect... Yes the other insurance company will not really start the claim process until they hear from their insured driver but once you start costing them money...they tend to move faster...

by renting a car you are doing your best to mitigate your losses...You need to get to work.. you need to be able to get food/groceries, and get on with your life. getting on with your life doesn't mean mooching cars of friends an neighbors.

I would start looking for a new ride...

Merkey and jhinsc like this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ouch...Ouch..OUCH....

I agree with all the advice given thus far. Get yourself checked out, hope you are healthy..and I think that vehicle is a goner.

But with an impact from the rear that bad, I'd be hoping the vehicle would be totaled. I wouldn't really want the vehicle repaired from that state. But again, I'd be shocked if they came back with anything but the vehicle is totaled.

On the "Semi-Positive" side, you should soon have the fun of being able to look at new vehicles.

Good Luck with the whole process.

13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Glad you weren't badly hurt. That looks really bad.

I would still visit my doctor just to make sure I was alright... you never know.

Good luck with everything.

14. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyone's advice and comments. Fortunately, my step mom doesn't drive her car much and she actually appreciates someone driving it to put some miles on it. It's only for a few days until I get things figured out which way to go. Both insurance companies will work with me when I decide to do something. I had a minor accident years ago that left my car drivable, and when I worked with the at-fault driver's company, they were more than helpful and took care of everything from rental car to repair. I'll post updates as I make progress.

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, after seeing the damage, I really don't want the car back. But I really can't think of another vehicle that I would want other than another v. Until something else better comes along, its the right all-around vehicle for me.

The Electric Me likes this.
  16. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    At least you know how well this particular car will protect you in a rear-end collision. :eek:

How fast was the car moving that hit you?

17. Sajnav

Sajnav New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I hope you're OK. I was rear ended by an SUV in a stop light. It pushed me to the middle of the intersection - much less damage than yours but the total cost of repair on mine was $8,700 - almost 1/3 of the purchase price. Some people asked me if I'm OK to continue driving my car. It kept me safe so now I love it even more. I was sore for a few days, which I felt 2 days after the accident. Now I'm just wary of SUVs behind me.

(I don't know why my picture is upside down. I can't find a rotate image button.)

photo_v1.jpg

18. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The speed limit is 45 on this road so my best guess is between 40 and 50. I was stopped and I heard him lock up his brakes for what seemed like a long time before he hit me. I don't think he was following closely so it could be likely he was distracted.

#18 jhinsc, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a minute I thought your car was flipped in the accident! Mine has roof buckling and the entire cargo area is scrunched. Both right side passenger doors and left rear passenger door won't open either.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to hear...hope your back is OK...hmm...not sure about the battery fluid, presumably the AGM 12v might give up fluid (H2SO4 sulfuric acid -yikes!) if smashed.

jhinsc likes this.