1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ack!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, May 18, 2012.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, welcome back aboard. ;) Congrats!

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Woops, my apologies to the dealer. The prep guys put the wheel lock key in its storage place under the storage bin (a slot it "snaps" into beside the jack).

Funny, the GIII is so similar to the GII in the way it's made it took me about 20 minutes to install my Amateur radio and Scangauge. I knew which panels to pull off, how to pull them off without damaging them, where to run the cables, and how to put it all back together again.

Doc is tickled at the mileage he's getting, and in my mind he's guzzling (hasn't learned how to drive it yet as he's getting worse mileage than I got with Pearl). He's averaging low 60s MPG imperial in Summer driving.

Pearl S is averaging high 60s low 70s MPG imperial. -Slightly- better than I did with Pearl. Man the GIII is quick to go to engine off (ev mode light comes on).

Another thing the GIII has that the GII didn't is an indicator of when you are using regen rather than friction braking. Nice!

As Pearl S is a technology package, she has -three- displays. Sometimes it's hard to remember which one has the info. I'm looking for.

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What rigs did you install in ur new Prii? I need to install a 14v jack and charge controller to use my solar roof to keep my SLA charged when running portable.

Mike

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I put in a Kenwood D710. Power is directly from the battery (through a fuse, of course). The transceiver turns itself off after 30 min (menu setting) "just in case" I forget. It has the Greenlight labs GPS plugged into it and sends position info to APRS. Track me - call sign va6dab. You can even see if I'm speeding. ;)

A fellow ham in the Red Deer area has a second battery (Optima) and HF rig along with two other rigs in his GIII. Took up his entire underfloor tray and the small storage compartment on the left. His antennas are outrageous.

I lost no space to my install. The radio is behind the left storage hole and the control head is on the dash on the far left. I have a speaker on the floor under each front seat (the radio is dual receive). The mic is currently sitting under the "flying bridge", waiting for velcro to stick it to the folding cupholder lid the 2012 has. All cables are hidden.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome :) I've seen quite a few 3rd Gen's at Dayton with huge HF bug catcher style antennas. Wonder what that does to the mpg's. My operating away from home is QRP with my '817ND in parks or hotel yards. I haven't been on the high bands in many years. It's gonna be neat using that solar roof as a battery charger ;) Need some time at home to do the mods. Probably get it done this winter while my car sits until spring. I don't drive it in rain or winter.

Mike