1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"adaptive" online pricing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Former Member 68813, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we do know that some online retailers play games with online shoppers and mac owners see higher prices than PC owners. once I saw interesting airfare action when after some extended shopping the cheapest options somehow disappeared and I had to come back next day to see them again.

last night i decided to order some vitamins and supplements from the leading vitaming online retailer. they had some things that i take regularly at very good prices. i decided to stock up and i added some other various things. the total was about $100 (free shipping). then i remembered the coupon code they sent me for 15% off. i put the coupon in and the total went up to $130. i noticed that the good deal items doubled in price. I removed the coupon and the total went to $150, it didn't revert to the low pricing.

i tried this AM and still no low price. i called them up and complained and they were able to give me better discount on the phone than the current online prices on everything. I paid about $100. these practices are quite upsetting.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to get different on line prices from dell, when i was buying p/c's from them.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My son saw that happen with online air fares: express interest, fares go up.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What used to happen a lot, way back in the early days of online shopping (mid-90s) well lots of things happened back then, like free pairs of Nikes, books for a penny, etc....but....

If you abandoned a shopping cart, often times you would get a pop-up offering a decent discount if you went ahead with the order.....then, as the 2000s approachedthat seemed to disappear....maybe with the advent of popup blockers.

But lately, I have been seeing it again....very recently with a certain puritanical vitamin company, but a few other places also.

On the same topic, if you search for a certain vitamin/supplement on google, instead of ignoring the ads that pop-up off to the side, sometimes that same puritanical company will have an ad for that very same object of your search, at a much lower price than you can find on their Web site by yourself....