1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add a self-powered subwoofer to JBL system the easy way

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by brotherleeroy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. brotherleeroy

brotherleeroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ve always enjoyed good sound while driving. I’ve found that the addition of a self-powered subwoofer adds just enough low end to make all music – from classical to blues to rock – sound better. So when I bought my 2009 Prius with the JBL 9-speaker upgrade, I thought about how to add that subwoofer.

First I looked into substituting the subwoofers in the rear doors. The customer service representative at Crutchfield’s told me something that no other website mentioned about my JBL system: “No after-market speakers will fit.” That’s because the Prius uses more efficient 2-Ohm speakers. Virtually all others use 4-Ohm speakers. So don’t try this, unless you’re willing to scrap the whole system and start from scratch.

My son gave me a self-powered subwoofer for a gift. Being a cautious kinda guy, I studied the installation guide and several great PriusChat posts which recommended placing the sub in the trunk and connecting the power to the battery. Because I haul a lot of stuff around, I wanted to place the sub under the front seat to save space. And because there’s a 12-volt, 10 Amp connector right there between the front seats, I thought: “What the heck, why not just tap in there?”

I had a hard time finding the one specification I needed to make sure it would work: the amount of amps the Sub needed to operate. I contacted the company’s customer service, and to their credit my email was answered. That sub could draw as much at 50 Amps!

So I traded it in for a more expensive and more efficient subwoofer designed to fit under a seat. It’s a Clarion SRV250. It draws only 7 Amps.

So now I was confident that I could tap into the center console’s 12 Volt power supply. A cheap cigarette-lighter connection did the trick, without cutting wires.

Now I struggled with the next question: Where to get my source from? There are great resources available right here at PriusChat that show you what wires to tap into. But being cautious and lazy I looked for another way. The Prius sound system has an AUX input that will accept a mini-plug. Any iPod or phone or player can be plugged into the system. So I added a connector that split one of these device’s outputs into 2. One of those gets plugged into the Prius, the other into the Clarion.

With this setup, you can adjust each input level and fine tune how everything sounds. And when everything’s set just right, it sounds great.

Now the downside: I have to keep adjusting the sound for each new album or CD or collection, because each mix is different. So it’s good to have an assistant to help drive or to work the controls.
    [​IMG]
    Best of all, if I ever trade my car, I can take the whole thing with me.
    [​IMG]

#1 brotherleeroy, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool, thanks leroy!(y)

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that is a damn good idea there.

4. fileaudio

fileaudio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Im going to replace all speakers with focal krx3 system and a arc audio 900/6 amp, to the whole system included a cdt 500watt sub,i hope not to stress a lot the hybrid battery pack,

5. rcubed3r

rcubed3r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is that a roomba in your hatch area? :)

brotherleeroy likes this.
  6. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... It cleans as you drive

brotherleeroy likes this.
  7. brotherleeroy

brotherleeroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You won't be stressing the hybrid battery pack at all, because you won't be hooking anything up to it. The power will come from the more traditional 12 battery.

fileaudio likes this.
  8. Mr. Bubbles

Mr. Bubbles New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fantastic idea! Perfect for anyone that doesn't want to tear their dash apart (myself) thanks for your post!

iPhone ?

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wouldn't trust what most sales reps from Crutchfield say... just my two cents. He didn't offer it because they were probably was out..

Kicker 6.5" CompVT Car Subwoofer 2 OHM (out of stock)
    Top-Mount Depth 2-7/8"

Kicker CVT65 High Performance 6 5" Subwoofer 2 Ohm 150 Watts 10CVT652 713034059981 | eBay

From Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos

The nine speakers are: (This information copied from VFAQ )
    1. Front driver's tweeter (top front corner of front door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    2. Front driver's woofer (bottom front corner of front door) - 16 cm (6.3") 2ohm
    3. Front passenger tweeter (top front corner of front door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    4. Front passenger woofer (bottom front corner of front door) - 16 cm (6.3") 2ohm
    5. Rear driver's tweeter (top front corner of rear door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    6. Rear driver's woofer (bottom front corner of rear door) - 16 cm (6.3") 3ohm
    7. Rear passenger tweeter (bottom front corner of rear door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    8. Rear passenger woofer (bottom front corner of rear door) - 16 cm (6.3") 3ohm
    9. Center dash (above screen) midrange (center channel, not subwoofer) - 6.5 cm (2.6") 2ohm

Lanzar OPTI6MI Opti Pro 500 Watts 6.5' High Power Midbass Speaker 3ohm...

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  11. dd9293

dd9293 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did I miss something - is the Aux "input" eing used as and "OUTPUT " to drive a subwoofer ? is this a duplex (2way) connction to audio system?

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Splitting signal before aux input and sending half of it to the sub separate from jbl system.

13. JJsCarAudio101

JJsCarAudio101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three