1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add/upgrade display audio/entune head unit to C two?

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by dividedsky, Apr 30, 2012.

1. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everybody! First time poster here. First, the good news. My dealer tracked me down a silver Prius C for me and got it in over the weekend. No easy feat in my part of the country. It's reserved for me to come check out tomorrow.

Now, the not so good (but not horrible) news... It's a c two. No display audio. No nav. No entune. Wah.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if it is possible to have the dealer order an OEM isplay audio unit and install it. Obviously it's the same size as the base head unit (and dash configuration across all models) but I'm wondering if Toyota would have the part readily available (given high demand for the c in general) and if the cost would be even remotely reasonable. And, if the part is even available, are there any technical issues that would prevent full use of the system?

I would consider aftermarket, but I see from perusing other threads that a dash kit is unavailable and not thought to be on the horizon either. Plus, with aftermarket, I have concerns about integrating the steering wheel controls, hands free phone, and even the built-in usb/audio jack above the glove box.

Anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The the steering wheel controls should be the easiest part regarding aftermarket. All one needs is an SWI-JACK. I am definitely waiting for a dash kit to surface so that I can have my JVC GPS head unit from the prior car installed...might be time to upgrade once it becomes available. :p

1 person likes this.
  3. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    You can easily get a head unit with its own Aux & USB jacks plus Bluetooth for calls/audio. I find the Prius C built in USB to be in an awkward spot anyway. The cable always gets caught in the glove box when opened.

Steering wheel controls are no problem.

I'm working on putting a new head unit in right now. It seems like even without the dash kit there won't be much extra space around the stereo but I am planning to have a piece fabricated anyway. I've been posting updates here and should have info on the head unit coming this week.

1 person likes this.
  4. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Oh I know most head units (at least most that I'd want) would have their own USB and audio plugs; I just thought it'd be nice to use the built in one. I don't open my glove box much anyway (unless I'm handing over my license and registration, which probably won't happen too much driving a Prius c!) so I kinda like the location. I guess I could probably run the aftermarket cables to roughly the same spot. Lack of a dash kit is the big issue that makes me worry about aftermarket. I don't really want to take the time (and $$$) to have something fabricated when a $20 plastic part should do the trick and probably will be hit the market eventually. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

No insight on an upgrade to the OEM display audio unit? I know it fits, I'm just wondering about other technical issues I might not have thought of, and cost.

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    you won't be able to do it without replacing a lot of wiring.

also, if you didn't notice.. the antenna on the package 3 and 4 are not the same as the one on the 1 and 2.... so that's one of many other things you'd need to replace.

so.. though it's plenty possible to upgrade a package 2 with the display audio system from the 3 or 4.... it's just not practical.. and especially not worth the time, trouble... and very much how much it'd cost.

1 person likes this.
  6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried same thing on Auto/On/Off headlights. Something you would think would cost $200 since car has light sensor and auto/off headlights already. But nooooooo....it was going to be $2,000 to change computers and all kinds of stuff.

My suggestion, which I should have done, wait for the car you want. You are going to be in it for years. Get what you want and don't count on DIY changes.

If your area doesn't get many Prius, ask one of the high volume Prius dealers on the coast to get you one, fly out and drive it back. You'll probably save enough on the car to pay for the flight, you'll have a fun road trip in your new Prius and you'll have the car you really want for the next couple years.

1 person likes this.
  7. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks to the last three posters for good info and good advice. You guys are absolutely right. I'm just going to have my dealer keep trying to get me a C three. He actually told me this afternoon that he thought he'd be able to get one for me and might know by the end of the day. I guess now that he was able to actually get a C, he is going to have a much easier time trading for a different C with different trim level and options. He said he had to offer two regular priuses (prii? what is the proper plural form??) and a camry just to get somebody to trade him a C. Amazing how in-demand these things are.

Anyway I thank you all for the insight and I hope to report back with good news!

8. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesn't have to be your dealer. Local dealer will service the car no matter where you purchase it. Find the model and color you want to be driving for the next few years and buy it from the dealer who has it. There's no reason to compromise on a big purchase, something you'll have for years, something that is a big part of your self image.

9. dividedsky

dividedsky New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    All good points! But, in my case, this dealer has won my and my family's business over the years (the wife and I have a 2010 prius ii and a 2007 tacoma at the moment - the family business has 3 priuses and 5 toyota trucks) and he's gone out of his way to earn it again this time. I just received word that he finalized a dealer trade for a Silver Prius C three that is coming right from the distributor and I'm hoping my co-workers don't think it's too weird if I start to do a little bit of a happy dance at my desk right now. I should have my new C by the end of the week!

:rockon: