1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Added EV Mode Button!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prius_Cub, May 22, 2013.

1. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finally got up the nerve to add the EV mode button (using parts from Radio Shack and the instructions from CalCars). Got it working and tested it out and all I can say is wow! Granted I know that extensive use would result in hurting fuel economy and wear out the HV battery faster but in a few scenarios it works great for me to somewhat help slightly with improving fuel economy.

My neighbourhood is at the top of a hill so when I leave for work, any street I take is all down hill for me to the main road (~1/2 mile). So obviously the ICE warming up during this process is kind of pointless and I can just capture all that extra regen energy and exit out of EV mode when I prepare to merge into traffic. Another good use case is entering the parking lot at work, I was always frustrated that anything greater than the gentlest touch on the accelerator would engage the ICE. Now I can kill the ICE going down hill on the road to work and use that energy to glide through the parking lot.

Now, my next modification project? I'd love to figure out how to wire in a few parallel salvage HV packs with some method of grid charging them but that is slightly beyond my means for the time being and information for how to do that seems to be scarce...

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Lot's of info on this, actually. This was one of the original methods of PHEV conversion. There are lots of other options available now, though. Most with LiPO batteries, which give you a much higher energy density (i.e., range per pound of extra battery). Browse through the "PHEV Modifications" sub-forum.

3. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worth reading this website CAN-view index

4. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great job on the installation.

Just a tip, if you start from a long way uphill, you could still improve your overall economy for the day if you disengage EV mode during a long downhill segment, letting the ICE warm up and charge (at the same time) in the process and at least clear stage 2 just in time before you need to use the ICE for harder acceleration (like entering the freeway).

This will make sure that you don't demand lots of energy from the HV battery doing acceleration duties while the ICE has just started to warm-up. :)

5. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the information everyone :) Agent J, I suspected that would be the better time to disable EV mode as I watched Torque this morning (and paying a bit closer attention) indicating that even after I disabled it there was still a fairly high demand for output from the HV battery.