1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adding AUX to OEM JBL tape/6cd radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by osofast10, Jan 11, 2012.

1. osofast10

osofast10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've seen a few radios out of an 04/05 prius (JBL, tape player, and 6 cd changer) with an AUX input. How is this posible? any idea? any info would be great. Thanks

2. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I read between the lines you are saying that your 05 Prius has the JBL radio/6cd head unit but does not have AUX input - which you want. I cant help you on whether AUX was an option on some the JBL head units back then - someone else may know this. What I can say is that it is unlikely you can add AUX to your head unit by simply adding some wiring. Generally speaking, head units with AUX cost more than those without it so Toyota probably wouldn't have paid for an AUX enabled head unit if it wasn't going to put AUX in the car. This was the case in my '07 Prius where the stock radio lacked AUX capability. My choices were to upgrade the radio or add a 3rd party AUX device. I actually tried both but settled on the latter with the original head unit.

If no one here can answer your question you may want to look on ebay or search salvage parts sites to see if you can find a head unit similar to yours but with AUX input. Sorry this is not much help.

3. mva

mva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is messy but we use a cassette adaptor.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm not familiar with the Toyo/JBL configuration but my wife's Honda Civic system does have inputs for upgrades like Sat or amplifier. The connectors/harnesses are proprietary so no plug and play with industry standards like USB, RCA, mini-headphone jack, etc though.

Like MVA said, the cassette method, although not elegant, is an effective and cost effective way to get SAT or MP3 into an OEM system.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's an inline plug kit. i want to eventually get the ipod integration kit... i'm tired of seeing excess wires. from what i remember reading, it's a few hundred dollars. i'm sure there are cheaper ones out there.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm 90% sure the aux input jack didn't become available until the 06 model year. Also, the tape deck was ditched as a choice starting with 06.

I have package NL which has every option (including JBL "premium" stereo) except leather.